“Bed Bugs!”

Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa
Ranked #101 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 7, 2010

Just found bed bugs! Noticed someone else in the exercise room with the same kind of marks on their leg so it is more than just my room.
There are no restaurants within walking distance other than the hotels. The food is way too expensive and high calorie.
Should have stayed closer to town where I could have walked to activities.
Exercise room is nice but there is a daily fee.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank SeattleMooses_Mom
Write a ReviewReviews (3,342)

Reviewed March 1, 2010

The San Diego Hilton in Mission Bay is really an older hotel and probably a misnomer to call it a resort; it's really an average 3* older hotel with some resort amenities. You get the sense that the owners know their location is great for families and they do just enough upkeep to keep people interested in staying there. There are definitely pluses: the beds are very comfortable, staff tries to be accommodating, and it has a pool, spa and conference center. Plenty of hot water and good water pressure, in room safe and refrigerator were all pleasant surprises. Great access to I-5, Sea World, downtown and coastal beach towns. The property sits right on the beach with a large (cement) "boardwalk" walking/biking path running alongside the bay. If you like taking a walk/riding a bike on a scenic path right outside your door this is perfect. Mission Bay is beautiful and very peaceful on winter weekdays. The pool looked very nice, and the conference center seemed to be in better shape than the rest of the facility. Free wifi connection was sporadically available in that lobby and in the registration area.

The minuses are significant. First, as others have noted the buildings are older, rooms and halls are dark. Several rooms had a musty/mildewy odor as did the halls. Our building's outside door locks didn't lock at night so it didn't feel very secure knowing anyone could walk into the building at night from the nearby parks or walking paths. The recent renovations in the rooms are attractive but we tried several rooms due to musty odor, malfunctioning phone/TV, or absurdly poor location of the parking lots right up to the first floor patio door. There's a huge tent sitting in the parking lot which is used for special events. If you are in the tower building on the first floor be prepared for the intrusion of car lights shining right into your room. The 2 story villa buildings have no elevators so they assume everyone is ok hauling your bags to the 2nd floor room or being in the tower.

The worst is indeed the noise. The doors must be hollow since we couldn't escape any hallway noises of housekeeping carts and personnel shouting to one another in Spanish or the heavy footsteps above our room which awakened us each morning. The bathrooms were renovated but the paint is chipping, and there's a panel over the tub area that is reminiscent of a 1970's era apartment. The halls and rooms are dark, and they only illuminate the ceiling hall lights and not the wall sconces, despite the unappealing dark appearance. The front desk staff are impresseive since they appear to be doing everything. The Hilton charges $25 a night for parking, plus $12 a day room (ethernet) internet connection. There is no concierge on duty for this "resort" ; which even 3* hotels frequently have, so to call this a resort seems outrageous for what you are getting.

Overall, it is challenging to stay here, but the accessibility of the parks and paths, location right on the bayfront, hard-working front desk staff personnel, and general location made it a better experience. If you have patience and a patient front desk staff it has the potential of being a good vacation spot.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 19, 2010

Wonderful bay-view room, large, clean. The breakfasts can't be beat. The eggwhite Florentine omelet is my favorite, and maybe I am fooling myself but I think it's healthy too. My friends say I need to try the garlic fries in the bar at night. But here is the real thing. EVERYONE who works there is kind, friendly, and helpful. This trip it was Stephen at the front desk, who helped find four perfect white roses to surprise me in my room. He had to go to three florists, but spent the time and did it happily.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank ooonor
Reviewed February 15, 2010

I think this place flies a bit under the radar due to the $25 parking fee. It seems like every post mentions the parking fee so I guess I will start off with it. Yup, you may have to park your car a bit far away from your room (far being up to 100 yards away, last night I had to park at the end of the lot). We knew this going in and in hindsisght I have been ripped off many ways that I consider far worse and it really wasn't an inconvenience to me. My final thought is factor this cost into your budget.
We picked the resort because it seemed like a good place for families. The pool is nice, the grounds beautiful and the park awaiting your workout. We utilized the hotel's dock renting a paddle boat and also a bike with training wheels for my son. My son met some kids from another country and was playing with them in the pool.
The tennis courts looked nice although we didn't play this time. There are no court fees.
We spent most of our time around the pool, in the hot tubs, and exercising around the hotel. We had a garden lanai room. The room was decent.
If you expect to be waited on hand and foot I doubt this is the place for you. However, we enjoyed the hotel and the area very much.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank SoCalGringo
Reviewed February 14, 2010

Crappy service, rooms, ammenities, cleanliness, and oh yeah, the ducks and their crap in and around the entire pool area.

We got this hotel when stupidly doing one of those, priceline.com hotel requests. (which we'll never do again) We put in our price and area expecting a 4 star or better hotel, and this place did not match that. It looked great upon arrival, but then we went out to the pool area and it was completely full of duck poop, and a maintenance man that was trying to chase the ducks out of the pool. Figuring we'd just head back to our room and get settled we were greeted by a dark and smelly hallway, and mediocre room.
We tried to get wireless access to get online and find a spot for dinner and were told that they only provided wireless in the common areas, which ordinarily would be fine, but our many attempts to log on were futile, as we could barely establish a connection at any spot, and were too busy swatting swarming flies that were everywhere to sit for very long. The staff made every request seem ridiculous and refused to provide what we would consider, 4-star service. A few other things that bugged us; Horrid, blaringly loud and unavoidable music in the pool area and bar area, rooms that still hadn't been cleaned by 4pm, $25 parking.

DO, however, go here for the restaurant, Acqua. We had a phenomenal dinner here really out of this world with food and ambiance (sans the annoying music) It's definitely 4 star dining and service in there, just need to figure out a way to incorporate that into the rest of the resort.

Don't stay here either unless you have a rental car, and the desire to spend most of your vacation driving from place to place. Really disappointing.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank annemurphey
Reviewed January 26, 2010

stayed at the san diego resort for a seminar. Got in 11 pm dead tired. couldn't find my room as the directions the lady drew was on a tiny map for about 10 minutes. You have to drive to your room no bellman service. Was walking around the parking lot in the rain. Not fun. The hallway and room smelled bad. rooms are old and run down.

At the seminar I spoke with a employee and told her the bathroom stalls were out of toilet seat covers. the trash cans was full and there was no soap, she said she would take care of it. 2 hours later, the problem was still not taken care of. Fortunately, the seminar was over.

$25/night parking charge! for a run down small resort with limited amenities.

Hotel is run down. I wouldn't advertise as 4 star. no way. accomodations were not 4 star. 3 star at best. would not recommend this hotel at the price.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 20, 2010

This is a fabulous hotel in a great location. The pool area is really well designed and kitted out.
The rooms are spacious and trendy. Watch out for the antequated hairdryer. It looks like someone stole it from 'Grease'. I could have blown on my hair quicker! I really didn't understand that. Lovely trendy modern rooms and then a hairdryer from the 1950's that has the gentle hum of a mild breeze! The reception were unable to assist and I had to trail along to the Spa to dry my hair in the changing rooms.
That aside this is a large hotel and has a very business feel to it. It felt very impersonal.
The rooms were reasonalbly priced but we were in a tower block opposite the main hotel which looked like a cheap block of flats from the outside. One side of this block overlooks the main road and could be noisy.
We enjoyed our stay but I might feel differently if our stay had been any longer.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple