“Great for Families”

Ranked #100 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed March 26, 2006

I had originally booked this hotel through an online travel site - basic room for $200+. Then, I decided to give Priceline a try, requested a 4-star hotel in the San Diego Coastal area for $99/night and, lo and behold, I got the Hilton San Diego (same hotel) for half the cost! So, on that note, for $99 a night, this hotel is stellar! For $200+ a night, I would have had a lot of complaints. First off, you really need to request where your room is. I understand that the Tower is not where you want to be and I can see why from my limited experience with the Tower. It is very tall, cold feeling, like an old apartment building. We were placed in a villa that was one story, side by side rooms (others are two-story). The majority of the rooms in our villa block had arcadia doors that opened in the back onto gorgeous green lawns with putting green, hot tub, etc. Our room was flipped so that the arcadia doors were in the front (next to the front door) and the patio (two lounge chairs) sat right on the parking lot. Needless to say, the patio wasn't used and I didn't feel safe opening the curtains for all of the parking lot to be able to look into our room. So beware. The room itself was very small, barely enough room for two double beds. The room had an old motel feel to it, low ceilings, although the beds and furniture was top-quality. Very tight quarters, I can't imagine spending a lot of time in the room. Would request a bigger room option next time (but for $99 who can complain?) Great bay/beach area, lots of fun stuff to rent (jet skis, etc.), pool area is nice but pool was very cold. Great for families that want to plant themselves at the resort and not go anywhere.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa

Reviewed March 25, 2006

Nice property except that that most rooms are a very long walk from the reception area – do not use valet parking unless you are sleeping in the lobby as all rooms are a long walk back to the valet parking area. There are not central walkways from the rooms back to the hotel lobby area – pool - restaurant.

Self parking is $14.00 and they do not enforce who pays and who did not pay, on three nights I came back to the hotel after a long day and could not find anywhere to park as they had special events and the attendees parked in front of the buildings where the guest stay.

The beach in front of the hotel is not really an ocean beach but part of the Fiesta Island Bay which was built from sewage sludge dumped by the City of San Diego (Google Fiesta Island San Diego and Sewage) – I’d be very hesitant let my kids play in this water. Also during my walk along the boardwalk I saw several city owned bathrooms that said “Sewer pumping station # ___” - right on the beach area.

Pool and spa area here is very nice and stays open late.

Beds were not what I expect from a Hilton and I had an ocean front king which should be as good as it gets.

Pay a few bucks more and stay at the Hilton Torrey Pines – it’s a much better property just up the road a few miles.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank Maui Marine
Reviewed March 20, 2006

I have to admit that I was nervous staying at the Hilton San Diego Resort after reading the various posts here, but it was the only Hilton available to use my points on our recent trip so I thought I'd give it a try.

Positives - Grounds, Restaurant, Staff

Middle of the Road - Room itself

Negatives - Convenience

I was concerned as the room we were assigned was not a "tower room" which it says to request but I thought we'd check it out and if necessary would ask to be moved. It did have a bit of a mildewy odor but once we opened the curtains and turned on the ceiling fan it was no longer noticable and the view to the water was nice so we decided to stay put. The room itself was clean and comfortable and Hilton Standard I would say - nothing jumped out at me as different then any other Hilton I have stayed at.

We really enjoyed walking on the biking / walking path along the water and the hotel grounds themselves were great too. Pool was a bit cold but the hot tub at sunset was just right!!

We ate several meals at the restaurant and the service and food were very good. The reason that we ate more meals at the hotel than we normally would is that it is really not in a convenient location to much else besides the biking/walking path and you would need to drive to find other restaurants/shops so thankfully the restaurant was quite good.

Lastly, most of my stay was using Hilton points and I'm not sure I would stay again as I feel the price is a bit steep for what you get.

• Stayed: February 2006
8  Thank Lindsyb
Metro Detroit, MI
Reviewed March 19, 2006

Priceline found this hotel for us for less than $100 / night. We were a bit concerned about the facilities based upon the previous reviews. The hotel is right around the corner from Sea World, but you will need a car to get almost anywhere. There is a shuttle, but that is not our style. The hotel needs a makeover, but was certainly acceptable.

Ali the Concierge was outstanding!!! We would stay here again, just because of her.

Good experience, just don't have super high expectations.

• Stayed: March 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 27, 2006

Nice hotel, nice rooms, beds comfortable, location is right next to Mission Bay, but in my opinion not within walking distance to the ocean beach. If your with a family and don't want to venture out, this is a great location. Park nearby, walking trail behind the hotel. I prefer to be near restaurants and the ocean, this is bay front. I booked through hotwire. Tennis courts on site and very large pool with a childrens pool too. Game area for the kids and during the tourist season a childrens program. They rent boats, ski doos, bikes, and other play items right at the hotel. There is a restaurant on site, but a bit pricey. Didn't eat there. Had to drive to another location, since no other eateries within walking distance. Paid $14 to park my car outside of my room. No parking garage. Just another way to get another buck from the consumer.

• Stayed: February 2006
3  Thank Bobkatevan
Denver, CO
Reviewed February 5, 2006

I stayed here for 4 nights in late June, 2005. It is important to note there are two buildings to the hotel-the nice Marina building, and then a "step-child" building. Upon checking in at the main building, I was put in the other building, and told they had a free shuttle, or it was a 2 minute walk. Since I was in a hurry, I walked. It was more like 10 minutes, hauling my luggage and hot and sweaty.

The first room I was put in was very nice, however the balcony was inhabited by a family of sea gulls and covered in bird mess. The parent birds stood at the window and squawked at me non-stop, apparently trying to protect the baby bird also living on the balcony. I called the front desk and they said "oh, you're in that room...we'll move you right away." Apparently they all know this room is a problem, but still put people in it.

The second room was ok; it was a handicap-accessible room and the towels were frayed, the coffee maker burst a leak the first morning and spilled coffee everywhere but in the coffee pot, however the staff did give me a credit for the inconvenience. Second morning my shower drain backed-up (not a bathtub, a walk-in with no boundary on the floor) and dirty water flooded the bathroom floor. I had just gotten out of the shower and needed to get dressed, do my hair, etc. The staff sent someone up and gave me another credit, however I was late to my morning appt. because I could not use the bathroom to get ready!

I was transferred to a third room which was fine, but this was only after much complaining on my part. I would only stay at this hotel if you can get a room in the main building as the other building seems to have a lot of problems and is certainly not the top priority of the management.

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled on business
15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 4, 2006

Loved this hotel, the architecture, the location, it was nice! We booked through Hotwire but when we checked in at the hotel, we were upgraded for free to the tower with an awesome ocean, city view and balcony. It was quiet, peaceful and convenient. I got up in the morning to a beautiful ocean view and worked out in their state of the art fitness room. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: November 2005