3,738 results
All reviews mission bay gordon berry acqua restaurant fire pit sea world pool area tennis courts old town bay view beautiful property family vacation rental car nice pool la jolla concierge conference tower
Selected filters
Reviewed January 19, 2015

Most wonderful stay at the Hilton San Diego Resort and Spa. Outstanding fresh clean room, very quite with comfortable bed to get recharged. The whole front desk team is extremely knowledgeable, bell person extremely friendly. You have to join the Restaurant and Bar. They definitely have there stuff in line. Extremely well trained and very accommodating servers. Does not matter when you go there, you get treated with a smile. Talked to all of the Restaurant managers and they were just amazing. Delicious handcrafted signature cocktails, great wine selection from all overt the world. Acqua and Olive are the places to be when you are staying in San Diego.

• Trip type: Traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Bernard O
HiltonMissionBay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2015

Dear Bernard,

Thank you for this wonderful recommendation and for being our guest at the HILTON SAN DIEGO RESORT & SPA! We are very fortunate and are immensely proud to have such dedicated and truly caring team, but it’s always extra special to hear our guest’s appreciation of our team member’s efforts to provide each guest with an exceptional experience with us! We will certainly pass your praise on to the entire team! Should your travels lead you to San Diego, we look forward to hosting you again with a visit that rivals the last.

Herman Schaeffer
Executive Chef, F&B Director

Reviewed January 18, 2015

Honestly, I was very surprised after having read some reviews which mentioned that the hotel had been updated. If that was updated, I cannot imagine what the state of it was before. We were traveling on business and given what apparently was considered one of their better, larger suites in the "exclusive" garden area. While the view of the bay was nice, the view of people walking by nonstop about 20 ft from our ground floor room was anything but appealing. The patio area was nice and equipped with a comfortable lounge but I would never have sat out there with everyone walking by on the public beach walkway non stop. The bathroom in this room was also very small and there were obvious moisture leaks all around the mirror and hair on the floor.
We went to the front desk and asked to be moved. I do have to say the staff there is wonderful. Hannah took very good care of us and moved us to the opposite side of the property on the second floor. The only hitch there was that there are NO elevators on the property so my husband had to lug two 50 lb bags plus carry ons upstairs. When we entered the room, we first noticed an extremely musty smell. The room however was an improvement, had a wonderful view of the bay and later we saw gorgeous sunsets. Interestingly, the bathroom was a little larger and in better condition. We were across the street from the public beach and the first night, a Saturday, a party of 6 gathered on the beach right under our room around 1 am. The party, coronas, fire and garbage can smashing combined with very loud, inconsiderate partying until 5 am, of course the hotel has no control over this. Fortunately, that was the only night it happened. My biggest complaint about the room was the lack of lighting. If you're a reader, bring a lamp and power cord. I have never been in such a dark room. From about 3 pm on, it was just dismal in there. The housekeeping staff was excellent. On premise food was good at Acqua and through room service. Try the chicken potstickers and the pirtobello pizza are fabulous! It was dissapointing that there was no food or bar service at the pool for a "resort" but It is fairly common for winter time at resorts. The cafe, Aroma, was very nice but it was very dissapointing that it closed at 1 each day. This would be a great alternative for pool food if they offered a few premade sandwiches or salads in addition to the pastries. The watersport offering was nice but it was a little chilly so I didn't try any. As a side note, the bed was very comfortable but the lack of bathrobes and slippers was dissapointing. I did use the spa, Mantra, while there and was very pleased overall. I hope managementtakes some of these comments to heart and most especially improves the antiquated lighting. Thank you again to Hannah and my housekeeper in the Paloma building.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank Megan C
HiltonMissionBay, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2015

Dear Megan,

While we are glad to have welcomed you to the HILTON SAN DIEGO RESORT & SPA and to hear that you fully enjoyed the beautiful views in the evening, delicious offerings from ACQUA, and our caring and knowledgeable team including Hannah; we are sad to hear you wouldn’t return. Your feedback is invaluable to us and as we continually make improvements throughout the resort your comments will certainly be taken into consideration. With many different guest room options throughout the property including those with the classic hotel feel and elevators, we hope you would reconsider staying with us in the future and affording us the opportunity to tailor a stay with room amenities that you most value while traveling. Thank you for taking the time not only to share your highlights, but your constructive comments as well.

Kindly,

ELIZABETH PELECKIS
Hotel Manager

Reviewed January 18, 2015

Recently attended a conference at this hotel and facilities and staff were excellent. There are numerous Hilton properties in the San Diego / La Jolla area so be sure to check the location of this property. It is neither downtown San Diego or La Jolla. Rooms were very nice and facilities were excellent. The conference facilities were also very nice. During my stay there were very few people in the main restaurant as most were eating as part of a number of conferences also being held simultaneously. Food and service at the restaurants was excellent.

Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank RegenMan

Many thanks for being our guest and extending this thoughtful feedback about your recent business trip with us. With so many great activities to experience in and around the HILTON SAN DIEGO RESORT & SPA we hope to welcome you back for a romantic getaway or family trip that rivals your great business trip, should your travels bring you to San Diego!

Reviewed January 15, 2015

FreedomVoice held its annual employee appreciation weekend getaway and dinner/dance at the Hilton on January 10 - 11, 2015. Everybody had a great time, the rooms were newly updated with furnishings, the grounds are well taken care of and the pool looked like it would be a really fun place to hang out in the summer time. (The weather was a little too cold for me to attempt getting in the pool.)

On Saturday, in the middle of the day, I went to check out the set up of our banquet room and discovered that the room we had initially contracted to be in was just not big enough. Our banquet manager, Effron, immediately offered to move everything over to a larger pavilion which turned out to be absolutely perfect for our event.

The DJ that I had lined up for the evening told me on Thursday that he wasn't going to be able to make it, so I contacted my Conference Service Manager, Jessica Finnery, and she immediately put me in touch with a DJ that she has worked with in the past, Mike Beltrane. He turned out to be a really good DJ: showed up on time, had a great mix of music to play, checked in with me from time to time to make sure that the music was OK, turned down the music when I asked him to because it was a little loud for dinner and just made it a fun night for everybody. Way more people got up to dance than in past years.

Jessica was really great to work with, she responded to all of my last minute requests. It was a pleasure to work with somebody who could be professional and also be friendly and warm.

And on going beyond the call of duty: we were sound asleep at 11:30 on Friday night and somebody was knocking quietly at our door. By the time I got up, found a robe and got to the door that person was gone. Two minutes later our room phone started ringing, of course, now I am just a little teeny bit annoyed, but I sure changed my tune when I discovered that it was the hotel security guard that had knocked and was now on the phone to alert us that we had left the interior light on in our car and he didn't want us to wake up to a dead battery. He was very apologetic for waking us up but I was very thankful, since I was the one who left the light on :-)

Definitely recommend this place for families, romantic weekend getaways, corporate events. The surrounding area is really cool, there is a long, winding bike/walking path that goes for miles along the bay. You can rent boats, paddle boats, kayaks and bikes right there on the property.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank Joey_Powers
HiltonMissionBay, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2015

Dear Joey,

Thanks so much for choosing the HILTON SAN DIEGO RESORT & SPA for your employee appreciation weekend and for your thoughtfulness in extending this wonderful feedback. It sounds like everyone had a great time and though you were in need of some last minute changes, we are delighted to have had the opportunity to accommodate the venue change and assist with finding you a replacement DJ that helped make your event even more memorable! We're immeasurably proud of our team and their dedicated hospitality, and we’ll definitely share your praise with Jessica, Efren, and the rest of the team. We strive to afford a level of hospitality that rivals the beauty of our scenic property and look forward to welcoming you back to the HILTON SAN DIEGO RESORT & SPA in the near future.

Reviewed January 15, 2015

I was looking at the Hiltons over the last 2 months to become my and our companies hotel of choice. Based on last week’s experience this will not be happening.

I booked 5 rooms for myself and my colleagues at the Hilton San Diego Resort. When I entered my room the previous guest VC’s on the bathroom tub. I took a picture as this is not something that I have ever seen so blatantly left by cleaning staff in any hotel.

The next day I decided to use the gym and spa. I used the provided lockers which were broken into and my wallet stolen. When confronting the front end person at the gym and spa she automatically went on the defensive stating “this could not of happened and I must have left it my room, lost it or left the locker unlocked, as if that should make theft ok! I finally convinced her to call security while I went and got a new room key because that was with my stolen wallet.

When I got back security was there and confirmed that I had locked the locker! I then started calling visa to cancel cards and found out that my cards were being used at the Walgreens a few blocks away. When I mentioned that, the front end girls story changed to where she did see someone in the spa gym area that scurried off as soon as she seen him. Then when she mentioned this I saw the security guy as her if she recognized him. Things got very quiet as they then whispered to each other. It became very obvious that they knew who this was. It then occurred to me how odd it was that the cleaner lady came into the men’s change room 3 times to replace towel when I was getting changed and using the steam room. Very apparent that she was checking to see if there were lockers used and people there???.

I finished cancelling my cards and the security person said I am on my own to call the police and he would talk to management. Basically got blown off.

I waited a day to hear back from management and did not hear anything. When I confronted the front desk they called management and said they would meet me upon checkout. When I checked out the manager was not there and then the staff all fumbled around until they figured out the GM was there. I spoke to him and he said that management left me a message the day before which did not happen. The point is that he was not going to do anything if I did not say anything.

As for room charges, I have never been to a 4-5 star hotel with the lack of service that I have encountered. This was a complaint from all of my colleagues. One night after being sat in the empty restaurant we waited for 10 minutes and then just left. It was easier to go to the room call room service and order. Disgusting!

To summarize this hotel:

1. Dirty
2. Incompetent
3. Unsecure
4. Disappointment

Date of stay: November 2014
Trip type: Traveled with friends
15  Thank ronstone69
HiltonMissionBay, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2015

Dear Mr. S,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me personally regarding your experience. Once again please accept my apologies for your unsatisfactory experience. I guarantee you the issues you encountered are not indicative of our high standards. We have a dedicated and conscientious Housekeeping team and for an incident of the nature you describe regarding your bathroom is highly unusual and absolutely unacceptable. As we discussed I certainly wish there had been an opportunity for our manger on duty to personally observe the condition of the bathroom and to offer you alternate accommodations. I know the disappearance of your wallet caused unnecessary difficulties during your travels. I assure you we did a complete internal investigation when this incident was reported to us three months ago, and, as we discussed, we even tried to contact the police on your behalf when you were unable to do so, but unfortunately it is their policy that when there is an allegation of a crime the person impacted is the only one that can initiate an investigation. I would be more than happy to provide their contact information again if you change your mind and want to file a report. We take our guest’s feedback very seriously and we will certainly use this as an opportunity to reexamine our policies and procedures. I hope you will reach out to me personally if there is anything else we can do to regain your trust.