“A nice stay at the San Diego Hilton Resort”

Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa
Ranked #102 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 3, 2009

We spent 3 straight years here in the 1990s and loved it. They have done a recent remodel and the rooms have been updated nicely.

We stayed in a larger "lanai" room which gave a little more room for our two teenagers. I think the best rooms for families open up to the garden and allow young kids to walk around outside the rooms.

The beauty of this resort is the setting. You are right on Mission Bay and there are so many activities available on the bay itself from sailing to biking to just walking along the bayfront path. We lucked out with beautiful weather but there is a lot to in town even if the weather is not good.

A few glitches that i would be aware of:

During our late December 2008 stay the "pizza oven" was broken and apparently had been for a month. It would have been nice if an insert was in the room service menus explaining this if it really was a long term problem.. There are 4 pizzas mentioned on the menu.

While we had a nice bike ride and rode in a 7 mile circuit, the rental bikes are all seem to be old cruisers and have seen better days. It would be nice if they updated them as nicely as the rooms are updated.

On the plus side, the beds were very comfortable, and the food was delicious. They have a nice spa, tennis courts and exercise facility with nice treadmills.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank rossde
Write a ReviewReviews (3,307)

Reviewed December 8, 2008

My husband and I traveled to San Diego the week of Dec 3. We spent two nights at the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa on Mission Bay. Upon early check in 12:00 PM, we were greeted by very friendly front desk staff. Although we booked through priceline, they looked at various room options that would be available and gave us a bay view room in the tower. We entered our room which looked exactly like pictures we had seen on line. They have done renovations and everything is nice clean and newer. We utilized the on site restaurant Acqua and bar The Olive as there are no options within walking distance due to the resort's location. I must say that we really enjoyed lunch at Acqua including the Ahi tuna salad and fresh, warm baked bread. We also had breakfast at Acqua and although it was pricey $36 before gratuity, it was delicious! My husband got a wonderful crab/egg dish and I got an omlette made my way with potatoes, toast and fruit. All the food at Acqua was very fresh and delicious. The wait staff was friendly too. On our second evening we headed down to the Olive for drinks and the bartender Aleem was friendly and professional. He gave my husband and I complimentary drinks in honor of our anniversary, nice touch! The only negative comments we have are the computerized wake up system did not wake us up at 5:00 AM. Also, we called the valet and asked him to get us a cab for 6:00 AM, no cab. Had to ask the front desk staff to call a cab. Luckily the cab arrived a few minutes after and we made it to the airport in plenty of time. Cab ride to airport from Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa $25.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HHICNSAND
Reviewed November 12, 2008

I was at this hotel for a conference. I was somewhat worried about some of the lousy reviews I'd read here. There was a labor dispute which seems to have been settled and that may have caused some spam posting.

I had a nice room which opened onto a lawn and the bay was 100 feet away. The bay has a nice (public) walking trail and lawns; it is prettier at high tide than low. The room was nice and very quiet, and service was good. Staff in general were very helpful. Nice peaceful location. They groom the little beach.

Location is a negative issue as well - there is nothing at all around there; it is in the midst of a large city park, separated from neighborhoods by the 8 lane freeway. If you expect ocean views, forget it. If you expect expansive beaches, forget it. Little kids - the 5 yr old set - will enjoy playing in the sand. Lots of good grounds for kids to run in as well.

Parking is an absurd $25 and there is no overnight parking in the surrounding park / street. If you are here for a conference and want to do it on the cheap, stay at the Best Western 1/2 mile away and you can park at the hotel during the day, or walk over.

I would come to a meeting here again, but would be unlikely to choose to come here on my own. It's a really nice place, but the combination of distance from off-property restaurants and high parking fees turns me off.

Stayed: November 2008
2  Thank mojave_ben
Reviewed November 10, 2008

Check-in was a breeze; convenient 10 min. parking in front of lobby. We were put in the building directly across from the lobby so parking was super easy. Building looked very historical (re: OLD) on the outside so I wasn't sure what to expect on the inside but the hallway colors were very hip and the carpet very chic. I was very impressed with the size of the room and the room decor. Loved the linens, headboard, lighting, flatscreen tv, giant desk, carpet - it was all very hip and cool. We requested a king and were accomodated. No bay views, unfortunately! Bed was very comfortable. We weren't able to get a free wi-fi signal and didn't want to spend more to get the land line. Bathroom was very neat - loved the light fixtures. Only sour notes were that the toilet was round so a little on the small side and the tile shower/tub didn't get the benefit of the remodel - still looked a little dated. We walked around the property near the bay and it was very nice. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank stooksk
Reviewed November 3, 2008

I recently spent a week at the San Diego Resort on MIssion Bay. I was actually running a conference there, which I feel brings a more critical eye to a review, as I had 200 people letting me know what they thought.
In one word: amazing. I had been here pre-renovation, and almost didn't recognize this property. The location sure doesn't hurt, but the atmosphere is created by the hotel. Everywhere I went the grounds were well kept, the pool area was gorgeous and relaxing, the fireplaces throughout the public areas were so inviting...I loved the feeling throughout the resort.
The food was always wonderful, especially when served in the new restaurant that overlooks the bay, next to yet another fireplace.
The final ribbon on this prize is was the staff. They were completely dedicated to making this stay amazing. Thank you!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank kariMilwaukee
Reviewed October 20, 2008

We stayed two nights in the Villas area with connected rooms. The Villas are one and two story. The rooms have a modern decor that has recently been updated. The pool area was very nice.

There were no problems with noise. We slept like babies.

The staff was very helpful and the restaurant good.

We will stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank BadgerTraveler2
Reviewed October 2, 2008

Enjoyed our room, lots of pillows and the staff was friendly. The location was great to get on the freeway and off to attractions.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family