“Worst hotel I have ever stayed at!!!!!”

Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa
Ranked #95 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Brooklyn,NY
“Worst hotel I have ever stayed at!!!!!”
Reviewed August 26, 2008

We arrive after a long flight from New York (5 1/2 hour flight). We get to the hotel and some how between the travel agent and the hotel, my reservation was all screwed up the hotel only had me down for 3 nights but the travel agent voucher had 4 nights. The hotel said they would fix it wasn't a big problem. We had to wait about an hour for our rooms couldn't wait to relax but we get to the room and it's not the room we wanted. They upgraded us to a bigger room and told us to enjoy our vacation and that they would take care of the mixup...so we did. About the fourth day we get a bill slip under our door saying we were checking out today. Called the front desk they need us to come down A.S.A.P. After wasting a morning on the phone with my travel agent, the front desk tells us everything is okay we spoke to your travel agent everything is ok. We get back from the zoo and our room keys don't work. They locked us out of our room because there was no communication between the morning manager and the afternoon manager. The best part of this whole vacation was seaworld which is only 5 mins away.

• Liked — Close to seaworld and other parks
  • Disliked — The front desk and hotel service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Barone7783

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Denver, CO
Reviewed August 16, 2008

Hotel offers no shuttle service. That means no shuttle service to Seaworld and no shuttle service to the airport.

Hotel offers no laundry facilities. That means if you want a t-shirt washed, it will cost you $6.95, ouch!

Hotel offers major hotel worker protests. All day on 8/16/08 the hotel union workers had protests. They beat the drums, had loudspeakers and were really obnoxious. I felt sorry for all the vacationers including myself that had to listen to them protest all day long.

Hotel offers unattentive staff. Was at the pool for 2 hours and no waitstaff. Finally had to go to the bar to get a beer. Additionally, called the concierge (which was not available) left a message and it was 4 hours before I received a returned call.

I could go on and on (and am even still at the hotel), but will get right down to the point, I do not recommend this hotel to anyone and will NEVER return....

• Liked — n/a
  • Disliked — The hotel union worker protests that went on all day, plus no laundry facilities
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
chicago, il
Reviewed August 14, 2008

Hilton's new ad says "be hospitable". Well this resort is the exception. We stay at Hiltons all the time and are HHonors gold members. We've never had a problem, anywhere in the world. This resort advertises being child friendly. Well it depends on the ages of your children. Kids under three may NOT swim in the regular pool. Even with swim diapers AND vinyl/rubber pants. When I complained, they told me that I could send my four and seven year old in the big pool alone and I could go to the baby pool with my one year old. They suggested I send a four year old in a big pool, unsupervised. To make it worse, they actually smiled smugly as they did nothing to remedy the situation. To add to that, the pool manager has never even heard of vinyl/rubber pants for kids to swim in!! They should make that clear when you book the hotel, because my family did not book a "lavish" resort to be seperated during swimming time. In fact, we checked out and stayed at another hilton available in san diego, to which we had no problems.

• Liked — Good Food for expensive
  • Disliked — Staff was disrespectful and arrogant
1 Thank HonestTravels
Colorado
Reviewed August 11, 2008

Bad experience. Family of 5 traveled from Denver for a 3 day weekend. Booked a adjoining bayview terrace rooms. What a joke. Not at all as described, if the front desk even gave us what we had booked. They were the most expensive to pick from. Not ready upon arrival at 4:00pm. Everything was too pricey. Place was not clean, grounds, etc. Pool was too small without enough chairs. If you dont get out there by 9-10am, your out of luck until 4pm. Pool bar and food service is marginal. The girls are too busy, takes along time, and the quality is not worth the price. The site indicates you get maid servive and turndown, not true. The maids never came before 4:00pm, and did a lousy job. The website also indicates 24hr room service, not true as well, it ends at 10:00pm. Parking is a disaster. Not enough anywhere close to the rooms. Hilton needs to do some major work here, as there are many unfavorable comments, and like us, wont be back. I would much rather of been at the Hyatt, or even the Downtown Embassy Suites, both for less money, with better accomodations and service. Couple other items, no chairs at all on the beach, and no mini bars in the rooms also as the website promised.

• Liked — Location, beachfront.
  • Disliked — Price, lack of service, lines at front desk, only restaurant too busy, pool too small, etc.
UK
Reviewed August 11, 2008

As a family of four, we stayed here for a week as part a Californian summer vacation. Overall we had a positive experience. The location in the bay was a big plus, as was the pool area which was clean and well serviced. The room (villa with two queen beds& bay view) was clean and comfortable, our only comment being it was too small for 2 adults and 2 children. The downsides are the chargeable extras. For Example: Charging $22 per day for car parking seems excessive. We used the hotel Water Sports & Bike rental place which was very expensive, with no concessions given to hotel guests (you pay the same as public). We were amazed at the drinks & snacks pricing at the hotel, which in some cases were more expensive than UK prices! We ended up going to the local market (5mins) and stocked the in-room fridge. Also if you need cash don't use the hotel installed ATM, they have a limit of $100 and charge $3.50 for the priviledge. At the local bank there is no limit and they charged $1.50 for a withdrawal. The quality for all meals (breakfast & dinner) in the restaurant was good but again we paid half the price for comparable quality outside the hotel. There are many restaurants a short cab or drive away especially in Old Town, which are comparable quality but half the price. Our sense was that the hotel is seeking to charge extra at every opportunity. Based on this we would question whether we would return to the Hotel.

The Villages, Florida
Reviewed August 10, 2008

Stayed in the tower portion of the hotel on the property. The halls were very dark and dingy! Room was very, very small. They charge extra $$ for everything except for use of the pool. To park your car in their lot you have to pay $22/day. Major rip-off! Front desk staff very snooty.

• Liked — Close to alot of San Diego sites
  • Disliked — Very bad value for the $$
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed August 7, 2008

My family and I have stayed at this resort on numerous occassions. After many tripa and plain BAD service, we switched to another hotel. However, my wife and I decided to give it another try in June, when we attended a local wedding.
Everytime I stay at this hotel, what I am promise and what I GET are two different things. It always turns into a 45 minute hassel.
Ironically, the LA Times Travel Editor recently wrote a story on this hotel and had the same problems! In fact when you check in you tend to find a lot of unhappy customers griping about something that was not done or delivered.
It is a beautiful site, but the front desk staff are poorly trained and have no power to remedy problems. Once you get in, you will pay $$$ everytime you turn around so that one night "get away" ended up costing over $600. Clealry, you can do better elsewhere.
Hilton is a great chain, as a Hiltin Hhonors member, I frequent them in my travels, but striike this one off your list!

• Liked — Site
  • Disliked — "who cares" attitude of staff
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business