“Relaxing and fun, but not my favorite pick for San Diego”

Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa
Ranked #104 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 14, 2013

This was the third hotel I stayed in on my trip to San Diego. The grounds were beautiful and had a very relaxing feel but I was a bit disappointed by a few things at this resort. The bathroom in our room was outdated and small, like one found in a hotel off the highway. It was a step down from the less expensive hotels from the beginning of the trip. I was also a little disappointed by the location of the hotel and the view. I was under the impression that the hotel had a beach but really it was on the shore of a bay that resembled a lake (I had just come from the Hilton in Torrey Pines with spectacular views of the golf course and the Pacific). Walking on the shore I came across a sign that warned about swimming in the area after periods of rain because the water could cause sickness.

Otherwise, I enjoyed my stay here. The pool area was exactly what I expected from a resort, complete with a waterfall, palm trees, and plenty of lounge space. The pool and hot tubs were open late and there was a fire pit alongside the pool where people were roasting marshmallows at night. I loved my breakfast of crab benedict-I might go back just for that. Overall, it was relaxing and fun but not my favorite place in San Diego.

Room Tip: My room was waterfront with a sunken patio. I didn't like that it was right alongside the path...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elizabeth M
HiltonMissionBay, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Thanks for being our guest and for lending such a thoughtful review of your stay. It's a pleasure to have been able to share the inviting escape of our resort grounds with you, and we appreciate your feedback regarding updates to your bathroom. We will certainly explore this further as we continue upgrades across the property to bring you only the very best of spaces and services, and we hope that you'll reach out again to share in our continued evolution. We'd love to host you again, and we encourage you to reach out the next time you're in the San Diego area.

Don Dennis

Write a ReviewReviews (3,373)

Reviewed November 13, 2013

i just returned from two days at this hilton and i was pleasantly surprised at the cleanliness and ambience of it. my room was large with a beautiful large balcony and the room was also a very nice size. the fire pit by the pool was nice because it gets a little cool at times. that being said, the parking fee of $34/nt is insulting and do not want this to turn negative, but to charge that kind of fee is taking advantage of a situation. the grounds are meticulous, i stayed in one of the villa buildings and would recommend this(already have) to my friends.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
HiltonMissionBay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

We're so happy to have hosted your recent stay in San Diego, and we're thrilled to hear that our site afforded a peaceful relaxation to your visit. We certainly take great pride in the ambience created by our waterfront oasis, and it's a pleasure to have been able to share it with you. That said, we apologize if our fee was startling, but we'd like to assure you of our competitive area pricing and to offer our assurance of continued evaluation to offer our guests the very best of comfort and cost. We look forward to the opportunity of hosting you again, and we encourage you to reach out the next time you're in the area. Many thanks again for being our guest and for lending us your thoughtful review.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Stayed here for a conference. Very nice facilities (bar, restaurant, workout, pool), great location, and nice rooms. My only complaint was the wireless internet. The signal was often weak and the response was slow. The receptionist said they were waiting for a fiber optic link from the city but I think a resort of this caliber should be able to provide something better in the interim.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks for being a guest of our HIlton Resort and for reaching out with the experience of your visit. While we're happy to hear that much of your stay was enjoyable, we apologize for the setback caused by the glitch in our wireless system. We certainly appreciate the strain that this might have placed on your work, and we have given it our undivided attention. We hope that you'll reach out to us again soon to experience our continued growth and attention to detail. It was a pleasure to have hosted you, and we thank you for your time and feedback.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

I was here for a Event and I planned to stay overnight. The room exceeded my my expectations. Its was a 2 story suite with a jacuzzi and patio with fire pit. Amazing view right in front of the beach and next to Sea World. Loved every minute of it!

• Stayed: November 2013

We're so happy to have hosted your recent visit to San Diego and to hear your share the experience with such acclaim. As noted in your review, the amenities, views and services of our property can be quite unmatched, and we're so happy to have been able to share each of them with you. We look forward to your regional return, and we encourage you to reach out the next time you're in the area. Many thanks again for your time and thoughtful words.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

A friend and I stayed three nights in early November. The resort is very attractive and beautifully landscaped. We had a second floor room facing the bay. Lovely view. We thought the room smelled slightly musty, but quickly got used to it. Large bathroom, was older, but very clean. The bed was very comfortable with a down comforter. We toured during the day and had dinner at the hotel each night. We sat outside with the fire pits and watched the sunset. Lots of outdoor areas to sit and the food and service was very good. We walked each morning on the paved path along the bay - really enjoyed this. My only dissatisfaction was with the high resort fee and parking charges, which I knew about ahead of time. It was just not pleasant when we got the final invoice. However, we truly enjoyed the stay. I would recommend the Hotel and I will be back next year with my husband.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
HiltonMissionBay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

We're so happy to have had you as our recent guest, and we're glad that you were able to take in the full experience of a San Diego visit. Whether you're relaxing on our waterfront and taking in a sunset, sightseeing our region, or engaging in one of our numerous on-site amenities, a visit to our property is filled with limitless opportunities that we look forward to sharing with you again. Many thanks for offering such thoughtful words of your stay; we look forward to your upcoming return.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

We stayed here at the end of our honeymoon trip and really enjoyed it. The hotel was very clean, our room was really spacious and comfortable with good views. The staff were great and we enjoyed the restaurant which again has lovely outdoor seating with lovely views.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

It's always such a pleasure to be able to share in our guests' special occasions, and we're happy to have been able to lend our property and services to your Honeymoon getaway, Katie. As our property continues to grow and evolve, we hope that you'll consider revisiting us down the road and allow us to share in your milestones to come. It would be an honor to host you again, and we wish you all our best until then. Many thanks again for your stay and thoughtful words.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

We have been staying at the Mission Bay Hilton since 2004. Never disappointed. The staff is gracious and willing to help. The adjacent trails and paths that surround the bay and parks are great for long walks, runs, or biking. Food service is spot on with a variety of selections. Plenty of rooms and a sizes to select from. They are updating the spaces as well. Beds and sheets top of the line. The room lighting is a bit dim and requires time to brighten due to the florescent bulbs (hopefully they will replace them with LEDs). Parking and "Resort Fees" add up on top of the taxes. over all a great assesable location. Close to the beach and attractions.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks for being a loyal guest of our HIlton Resort and for taking the time to reach out with the experience of your visits, John. We're always thrilled to hear from our regular guests, and we're pleased that you're enjoying the continued upgrades to our property. Please reach out in the future if there's anything we can do to make your visit a more enjoyable one; it would be a pleasure to hear more from you soon.