“Impressive facility”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Columbia, Missouri
“Impressive facility”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This sprawling facility provides a setting for a fun family vacation. It is pricey. On Mission Bay, the beach is clean and the water calm. The pool area is nicely managed. The pool is clean and well-designed, but parents are responsible for their children since there is no lifeguard. The food service is excellent with pleasant wait staff constantly circulating and checking, but no pressure to order. We had a party of six in three rooms for four nights. Housekeeping staff was excellent. The restaurant offers a variety of menu items and pleasant seating. Breakfast and lunch are pretty standard, but dinner is excellent with creative, nicely presented menu items. Recreation rentals such as bikes, boats, segways, and jet skiis are a bit steep, but well managed. As a member of Hilton Honors, reservations were easily made on-line. The facility is convenient to many things such as Old Town. Only two items for consideration--the beach has no loungers or similar amenities and the coffee shop is mediocre with so-so coffee and dull pastries.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the bay, you pay more. The bay is nothing special without tides. If you room...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Professorhosokawa
HiltonMissionBay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thanks for being a guest of our resort and for taking the time to share such thoughtful feedback regarding your stay. It's always a pleasure to service our families, and it sounds like you were able to take full advantage of the many amenities offered by our one of a kind property. Whether it's poolside, beachside, or during our fireside s'mores night, it's a privilege to host you, and we look forward to sharing in your future travels and memories. Thanks again for your time and review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (700)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed here last week for the very first time. Acquos restaurant and Olive Bar were consistently dirty, the staff did not care and actually turned our orders down for it will take a while to get a burger well-done (no customers were there). The staffs at the restaurants and even the front desks were uninterested, no smiles, no personality and it is such a waste of our money. It was our first time to stay there, the only good part was Aaron B. the bellman (all the bellmen as well) and the housekeeping staffs along with Rosario who often smiled, lent a hand and they appreciate your business. We ended up leaving everytime we wanted to eat. The staff at the restaurants are awful!!! THey do not want your business because you are an interruption to their routine of sitting and dinking around. DO NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL!!!! IT IS A WASTE OF MONEY, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE WERE YOU GET YOUR MONEY"S WORTH!!!!

Room Tip: To much money for bad service, too noisy, restaurants too dirty and restaurant staffs could care les...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MJ B
HiltonMissionBay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for providing this feedback. I take our guest’s comments seriously because it’s the only way for us to improve. I apologize that your experiences in our restaurant were so poor. I have already shared your email with our leadership team and we are all disappointed that you did not receive better service.

On a positive note I appreciate your taking the time to point out the service you received from Aaron, Rosario, and the other team members you mention. I will make sure they know their efforts were recognized.

I have recently joined the team here and we are refocusing our efforts on providing great customer service. I assure we will use your feedback towards that effort. I hope that if your travels lead you back our way that you will give us a chance to prove that we are better than the impression you have been left with.
Riverside, California
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I stayed there with my husband for our anniversary, the Hotel is really old, not impressive at all although we ended up paying $600 for 2 nights!!!!! Parking is not included, and u pay for a resort fee and we didn't spent that much time in the hotel! The location is not great, it is close to seaworld but that's it! The rooms are too dark, not enough lighting, and it is very old! Overall we feel bad for the money spent in that hotel!! Oh and the pool is too small u ll never find a spot there and when you try to go on their beach they won't let you take the pool towel with them!! U r better off at the mission bay Marriott or Hyatt!!!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Clara F
Thanks for being a guest of our HIlton Resort & Spa and for taking the opportunity to share your thoughtful feedback with us. While we strive to create an all-encompassing experience for our guests, I'm sorry to hear that our facility fell short of your expectations. Our resort fee affords for the numerous amenities offered in our facility, and it's unfortunate to hear that your limited time on site inhibited you from taking advantage of so many of these. I will certainly pass your frustrations along to our team, and we hope that you'll reach out again to see how we might be able to better serve your needs in future visits. Your feedback enables us to grow and improve, and we hope to be able to share our continued evolution with you.
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I stayed on this property last week for two days. The property is really beautiful but that is where it ends. I was surprised at the dirty hallways and my room was not professionally cleaned. I did have a great meal Acqua Restaurant and the service there was great. I did start out trying to get food at the barside restaurant but was ignored.

Room Tip: Fireworks show at 10pm sharp. I was right by the pool and it was very loud.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank wmellis05
HiltonMissionBay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thanks for being a guest of our Hilton resort, Wendie. It's an extreme pleasure to host first time guests, and I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the overall aesthetic of our waterfront property. I have taken note of your housekeeping concerns, and I will surely pass these along to the team. We hold ourselves to an exceptionally high standard, and feedback like yours enables us to improve and grow. We're continuing to make upgrades and improvements all across our resort, and we hope that you'll reach out again to experience our responsive evolution to feedback like yours. Many thanks for your time, and we hope to see more of you down the road!
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My original reservation was for 1 night. On arrival I made arrangements for an additional night. On Day 1 we returned to the hotel after spending the day at SeaWorld. The most direct route to our room was through the pool area. My grand daughters (ages 4 & 6) walked through the gate behind someone else and the gate slammed shut. I tried using my key to open the gate and it did not work. I ran to the front desk for another key. Despite the fact that I told them about my grand daughters being unsupervised in the pool area had to show ID to get another key. After I retrieved the girls we headed back to our room. The key did not work. Went back to reception to find that they had locked us out and had no record of the additional night. They eventually gave us another room. By now it's 10pm. This room had no running cold water (a pretty dangerous situation considering the fact that I had young children with me). A maintenance worker was sent to fix the water. We went to bed. I was woken up at 7 am by someone pounding on my door. They were replaving the parking lot and needed us out. This was the first we had heard of this. We packed up and headed for our car which had a notice to tow ticket on my windshield. Once again we headed up to the front desk and gave them a piece of my mind. They comped the 2nd nite stay. Additionally, there was only 1 restaurant open. A very nice (almost gourmet) restaurant which is very inappropriate and expensive for kids. I don't drive at night so our options were limited. The front desk suggested that we call out for pizza!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Laurel52
HiltonMissionBay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for being a guest of our HIlton resort . We're so glad that you took the time to share your experience, and we apologize that your stay was not 100%. We're happy to have been able to provide you with the complimentary night, and we hope that this helped to offset some of the issues you encountered during your visit. Please reach out to me directly the next time your travels lead you back our way; I'd love the opportunity to provide you with the exemplary experience for which we're more commonly known.
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

We traveled here for the July 4th holiday weekend. As a Hilton Honors member, I am very familiar with Hilton hotels and I have to say this was a major disappointment given the price point.

When we booked our room, we decided to stay in a waterfront villa, because, according to the reservation staff, we would have a perfect view of the fireworks. When we got to the room, we had a palm tree right in front of our balcony. The room also smelled horrible - it was more than just a ocean breeze like smell. As our kid said, "it smells like a zoo in here." The air conditioning didn't really work and there was mildew all over the bathroom ceiling and the carpet was moist. When we asked for a new room, we were told there were none available.

The beds and pillows were comfortable, however, and the linens were clean.

The pool is not heated and is freezing. It is also way too small. One of my biggest pet peeves is when you have to get up at the crack of dawn to get a chair by the pool. That is exactly how this was and for close to $400 a night - I expect better. This problem could be somewhat alleviated if the hotel allowed people to take towels to the beach - which they don't, nor do they provide lawn chairs or umbrellas for the beach - a huge failure in customer service.

We knew about the parking fee and opted to rent a car anyway, so I can't complain about those fees. But I will complain about the $19 resort fee - WHICH GETS YOU NOTHING. They will tell you its for the wifi. Problem is it NEVER WORKED anywhere in the hotel. And given the hotel's failure to provide chairs, umbrellas and towels at the beach, you literally pay $19 a day for NOTHING.

When I booked the room, I was given the impression that the shuttle to SeaWorld ran all day. It doesn't. It leaves for SeaWorld at 10:00 a.m. and brings guests back at 4:00 p.m. We opted to drive, which turned out to be a fantastic decision. We got there when the park opened and left at 1:00. This was a smart decision, because not only did we not need six hours at the park, we were able to enjoy it without crowds. The crowds became unbearable at the time we were leaving. The hotel should run the shuttle all day, giving guests flexibility in their schedule.

There are some good points about the hotel. The grounds are beautiful. The pool staff was very professional and helpful. The hotel does offer great water activities at the beach, but you of course have to pay for them. The restaurant, although expensive, had very good food and the service was great.

For this price point, I would look elsewhere to stay next time.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ekob
HiltonMissionBay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thanks for being a loyal Hilton guest and for taking the time to share your experience with us. While I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed our property and the service afforded by our staff, I apologize for the many and atypical experiences you outlined in your review. With the busy holiday weekend, there are always certain obstacles we can only troubleshoot in the moment. I can certainly understand your frustrations regarding pool accessibility during this busy holiday weekend, and I will be sure to relay these on to the appropriate team members and to see how we might be able to ease such strains in the future. Guest feedback like yours is invaluable in helping us to grow and improve, and we hope that you'll return to experience our continual evolution. Many thanks again for your time; we hope to hear more from you soon.
San Clemente Ca.
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was our second time to this location, probably won't be back, as San Diego has so, so many other fabulous hotel choices. It is a beautiful property, but when we are spending this $$$ much on a room and 35.00 a night for parking, we expect a great experience with great customer service. The room below us, had at least 10 people staying in it. Loud, out of control children, and at least 5 adults. This fact alone ruined our "quiet romantic" stay. At breakfast, by 9am they were already out of a few of the the menu choices. The wait staff seemed tired and unhappy with no need to try to make us feel as if we were on vacation. Pretty location, disappointing experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Victoria L
Thanks for being our guest and for taking the opportunity to share your experience with us, Victoria. While I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed our property and its scenic views, I apologize for the atypical experience you encountered with your neighbors. With a variety of rooms to select from, it would be our pleasure to accomodate you with a more tranquil space in any future visits. We hope that you'll reach out to us again the next time you visit the area; we would love an opportunity to showcase our responsiveness to such feedback. Many thanks again for your time and review.