“So friendly & helpful” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Cypress, California
“So friendly & helpful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

This is a wonderful Hilton. Our room was terrific with a step down area and bar. It was very spacious and opened out to a patio with seating looking out over the garden landscape. Also very clean and it smelled clean! The in room coffee has been upgraded to The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf - and boy it was great! Every member of the staff was friendly and ready to answer questions to help us enjoy our stay. We even enjoyed watching the fireworks from Sea World sitting on the rock wall. We will be back in July for another stay and we can hardly wait!

Room Tip: Stay away from the tower. I haven't stayed there but have seen them and they look smaller. The...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

2 Thank nancy h
HiltonMissionBay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thanks so much for visiting and for taking the opportunity to share your experience with us, Nancy. I'm thrilled to hear that you were able to take full advantage of our many amenities, activities, and views, and it was a pleasure to be your choice destination. We hope that you'll consider us again the next time you return to the area; we'd love to host you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (676)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Riverside, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed in the Waterfront Suite we heard it was recently renovated, so we were very excited to stay because this was suppose to be a sleek room with space etc. We arrived the wall paper was kind of peeling in the bathroom the room felt like a room not a suite AT ALL. I mean really for what we paid it was like come on we could stay in a nice new hotel in Vegas or even another hotel close to a different beach for that price. The water is crazy gross too very salty and a little smelly. Anyway we had fun... the only real plus was the view of the bay, but for the price NOT WORTH IT.

pro:
water view

cons:
almost $1000 for 2 nights room not even really a suite
only 1 pool
restaurant long wait and again not worth price (went to a sea food restaurant down the freeway $200 WAS TOTALLY WORTH IT)
very under staffed only 2 maids for the whole premises (poor ladies) check in was 4 we went in 4:20...we got there at 12 pm

*WONT BE STAYING AGAIN

• 1 of 5 bubbles

1 Thank Domaneek C
HiltonMissionBay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thanks for visiting and for taking the opportunity to share your feedback with us, Domaneek. While I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed our location and scenic views, I'm disheartened to hear that the quality of your room fell short of your expectation. We are making improvements and upgrades across the resort, all the time, and it's my hope that these come through in each of our guests' experiences. In this case, it did not, and I apologize for that. We hope that you'll consider reaching out again the next time you return to the area; we'd love a second opportunity to demonstrate what stands us apart as San Diego's premier destination.
Clifton, VA, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Recently visited this resort for the first time and could not have been more satisfied. From the first encounter with the bell staff, to the extraordinarily attentive pool/rec staff on through to the quality of the rooms. The family also enjoyed the great breakfast buffet. While we mainly enjoyed the pool as our recreation, the facility has a wide array of other activities available --- boats, bikes, etc. Overall a great place to kick back and enjoy yourself.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

3 Thank Michael P D
HiltonMissionBay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thanks so much for visiting and for taking the opportunity to share your experience with us, Michael. We're thankful to have been your family's choice destination, and we're so glad to have been able to make your San Diego stay an enjoyable one. I hope that you'll consider us again if you return to the area; we're evolving all the time, and there's so much more of our resort and city to share with you!
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed in this hotel two times within a period of 2 weeks. The location is great, but the quality of the rooms is disappointing to say the least. The rooms are outdated and both rooms we stayed in had a mildew smell to them, which leads me to believe that the carpets and HVAC system is not cleaned on a regular basis. The bathroom toilet in the first room didn't work properly and the tub in the second room had rust streaks on the inside and outside. We had to assure our kids that despite its looks, it was safe to use! The other issue that really found disappointing was the parking fees they charged for self parking. It was more that what I have paid at some New York City hotels for valet parking! Really outrageous to say the least. Upon looking at some of the other reviews you will find this is a common theme and complaint about this hotel. I agree also with the other reviewers that the pool is too small and understaff for this size of hotel.

1 Thank PBBAZ
Thanks for taking the time to visit our Hilton resort and for taking the opportunity to share your experience with us. While I'm glad to hear that our location lent itself to your San Diego stay, I apologize that your experience here fell short of your expectation. I'd also like to assure you of constant improvements and upgrades across our facilities and that your feedback is beneficial to that end. I'll surely pass it along to our team, and we hope that you'll reach out in the future to experience our continued evolution. Thanks again, and we hope to hear more from you down the road.
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Were shall I begin!!!
Check in was friendly. Was told resort fee was included in our package but parking was not and would cost $34 a day. Staying five nights I thought this was very expensive.
After talking to other guests who was in the same package as us we found out the parking was included. After speaking to reception they apologised but after checking our bill we had to go back to them as it was added again.
We were on the 3rd of the tower and found our room clean and comfortable but with a small bathroom. The only problem with the room it seamed dark and you could hear toilets flushing.
The breakfast was not included which had a buffet or ala carte menu in the restaurant or a coffee shop which had a good selection of muffins and cakes. We went to breakfast at the restaurant which had good food and was served by a friendly waiter called Tonny.
When we went to the restaurant in the evening we were told the it was busy and had to wait for a table even though it was half empty. The food was excellent but small portions and the service was very slow.
The hotel has one pool which does not seam to be big enough for the size of the hotel.
The hotel offers a private cabana for $95 at weekends and $75 weekdays which seams to take up a lot of the space around the pool. 4 of our 5 days no one took up this offer which seamed crazy as people were sitting and standing around waiting for sunbeds.
There is a waitress service around the pool which should operate from frescos restaurant but was closed while we were there due to being off season which meant the waitresses had to go to another reastaurant to get the food and drinks which made the service bad and slow.
We had to wait 1 hour 35 minutes from the waitress saying she will be with me in a minute to taking our order and recieving our food. When this arrived I asked if I could speak to the food and beverage manager about how slow the service was. When we checked our food it was cold and wrong. The waitress got the food we were missing and I was told the manager would be with me soon .After waiting a further 45 minutes I Went in search of the manager to be told that no one could find him. I then went to reception to ask to speak to any manager about the bad service around the pool. A very nice front desk manager called Sally listened and made notes of my concerns. I was finally met by the restaurant manager Ronald who agreed the service we had recieved was not good enough. He then refunded our lunch and told us to ask for him for anything we wanted in future.
Overall for the name of the hotel, I found the sevice and facilities did not reach our expectations.

Room Tip: Check what package you are on so you don't get hidden charges
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mrfarandaway
Thanks so much for visiting and for taking the time to share your experience with us. I'm disheartened to hear of your disappointment, and I apologize if our resort fee caught you by surprise. Surely this isn't our intention, but we do hope that you were able to take advantage of the many amenities it offers our guests. I will certainly relay your concerns along regarding the service delays at the pool, and I appreciate you bringing these instances to our attention. Feedback like yours enables us to grow stronger, and we'd love for you to return and experience our resort's evolution. Many thanks again, and we hope to hear more from you soon.
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

One of the nicer properties I have stayed in a while. Great relaxing time.
I was enjoying an anniversary weekend, called hotel to make arrangements and the staff delivered above expectations.

Check in was quick, easy, staff friendly. Room was in tower, high floor, nice bay view, floor to ceiling sliding door onto little balcony with two chairs and tiny table, view a bit blocked by trees, but that was perfectly fine.

Nice pool area, although it was chilly in March, so I did not go in. But at night they have fire pits to help keep people warm. Great walk on beach and waterfront.

Outdoor hallways and some other common areas do seem aged and neglected, but at least clean.

Contemporary furniture in open air lobby makes this place pleasant to sight, stylish and upscale.

My king room seemed to be recently renovated, trendy, modern décor, new cool carpet, comfortable bed and standard size bathroom. Flat screen, fridge. Wifi was ok. I think there is a resort fee, but it was waived because I am a Hilton Diamond.

Breakfast buffet was good, plenty of choices, made to order eggs. Enjoyed bay view at brunch. In room coffee is weak, but I find this at all hotels, I bring my own dark roast. Staff was polite.

After brunch walk on beach was great. Hotel was not too busy, park was full.

No complaints, only concern is outrageous $35 parking fee. But I find this hotel to be wanting to be a resort and be more expensive and charge for more.

This was a relaxing stay, rested, and enjoyed the resort. All interactions with staff were positive.

Room Tip: Keep in mind $35 daily parking + Resort Fee because these two add up quickly.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ORD-TGU
HiltonMissionBay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Thanks so much for being a devoted HIlton guest and for taking the time to experience and review our San Diego Resort and Spa. I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your room and its afforded amenities and views. I'm also glad to hear that our staff was able to provide you with the exemplary customer experiences for which we've become acclaimed in the area. That said, I will certainly pass your concerns along regarding parking fees and central area upkeep, and I hope that you will reach out to us again, down the road, to experience our continued evolution - a direct product of guest feedback, like your own. Many thanks again, and we look forward to hosting you again soon!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

I love this hotel and choose to stay at this location when in town. The resort staff are very accommodating and the hotel atmosphere is breath taking. The Villas are right near the harbor and the food is excellent!

Thank you for and incredible stay.

Room Tip: Join the Hilton Honors Program
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

2 Thank bjerrod1984
Thanks so much for being a regular guest of our HIlton Resort and Spa. We're thrilled to hear that we've become a vacation staple for you, and we encourage you to reach out again the next time you visit the area. There's nothing more we enjoy than hosting returning guests and advocates, and we hope to see more and more of you in the future!