“Excellent (Bell) Service”

Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa
Ranked #101 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 23, 2013

My mom, son (2.5 years) and I enjoyed our 4 night stay at the HIlton San Diego Resort and Spa. The hotel is perfect for families. The hotel staff was very helpful and doted on my son. At check-in, Alyssa gave him rubber duckies and a ball, another staff member found him a bucket and shovel to play with on the beach, and Jeffery with bell service was so kind, patient and helpful. At the end of every day, my son had to find his "friend" Jeffery to tell him about his day. Jeffery made excellent suggestions on what we should see and do and went out of his way to make sure our stay was perfect. When our airport shuttle was late picking us up, he called to check on it's status, and then jumped in the hotel shuttle to drive us to the airport so we wouldn't be late.
I had reserved a bayside tower room, but at check-in Alyssa recommended a garden view villa instead. Our slider opened onto a patio with lounge chairs and was open to a grassy area. The beach and pool were only 25 yards away. My mom and I enjoyed lounging while my son ran around exploring.
Concierge was helpful in arranging transportation and suggesting restaurants, but I found cheaper options for SeaWorld and other attractions with a quick online search.
We plan to come back soon with the entire family.

Room Tip: Garden View Villa (ground floor) was perfect for a 2.5 year-old who needed to run.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
HiltonMissionBay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

I appreciate your review of your recent stay at our hotel. It is great to hear that you had a memorable family vacation while staying at our resort. Our resort is perfect for families with all of the family-friendly amenities we offer. In fact, we've recently added a new water feature in our Kids' Pool! We hope that you and your son come back to experience the fun.

Vera Johnson, Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,342)

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I used to love staying at this hotel, but we haven't been there in a few years. We stayed in a suite with a garden view. The suite's location was just as promised by the woman taking my reservation, so there weren't any surprises there. However, upon entering the room, a musty odor hit us...actually more like a mildew odor. We saw house cleaning and asked for Lysol. They provided us with Febreeze and sprayed the entire room which helped a bit. I asked to keep it just in case. Usually, I'm the first to complain, but after the long drive from Los Angeles which two children, I didn't feel like it. In addition, my children were so excited and wanted to walk around the bay and then get in the swimming pool, so I let it go. Also, there were two dirty glasses in the sink but my husband and I both thought the other had used them. By the time we realized we hadn't, there was no use in complaining. This place has gone down a bit, but the price has not. The room itself was fine, but I didn't feel like it was that clean. Hilton seems to be cutting some corners, and I'm not sure it the room was worth the price.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Nojustiz N

I am sorry we were unable to provide you with the quality of service you deserved during your recent stay. I apologize for the housekeeping issues in your room and will work with our housekeeping team to ensure that all cleaning protocols are followed sot that this does happen again. If you return to our area, I hope you will consider staying with us again as I can assure you a much different experience.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Security was not good at this location staff left room open when they exited WiFi didn't work had to move to another room . Front desk didn't seem to concerned about room being left open by staff Made it seem like an every day occurence

Room Tip: If you want room security this is not the place to stay
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Marcus L

Thank you for taking the time to review. We’re very sorry you experienced an undesirable stay and level of customer service with us. The problems you mentioned with our staff have been addressed. We appreciate you alerting us to these issues and we hope you will give us a second chance if you return to the area.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We're in the third day of a five day stay, and disappointed. Our Bayside Villa has had fresh wall and floor finishes added to an otherwise old and drab room. One painting is provided on the otherwise bare walls. Some kind of tattered cloth wrapping is coming loose from the lavy sink drain pipe. There is not a single towel rack in the bathroom, just two small hooks. The view of the distant bay overlooks a blue garbage dumpster. I guess I'm spoiled by Four Seasons standards, but this is mildly depressing. In fairness, the staff is friendly and appears to be doing their best. My wife says that the spa is new and very nice.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank paddock_rat

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you are unhappy with your guest room. Guest feedback is incredibly important to us and we are taking your comments into consideration as we continue to make improvements to the quality of our rooms. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Overall, I think the best asset this resort has is its personnel, Especially Shawn. He treated us nicely and with great patience. He suggested us where to visit in the city and he quickly resolved a problem we encountered in our room and helped us make great use of the great Amenities in the resort (Reserve tennis court and spa). The trip woudn't have been as memorable as it was without him.
The resort is perfectly located in the middle of many different places. Its super convenient to travel to La Jolla, Sea World and Downtown.

Overall, I love this hotel. I actually extended my trip a day more at the end.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Trevor C

Thank you for sharing your review of your stay with us. I am happy we were able to provide you with excellent customer service. We greatly appreciate your feedback and will be able to use it to improve our guest experience. Thank you again.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Not the best property by Hilton Resort standards. The staff is very accomodating and friendly, but other than the pool area, the condition of property is dated, especially the bay front villas which are several decades old.

The rooms have been refurbuished, but lighting is dim, and public hallways, courtyard areas and parking lots are run-down, dirty and not pleasant.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank BusTraveler999

Thank you for sharing your review of your stay with us. We regret that your expectations of our resort was not met. Thanks to reviews like yours, we are constantly making improvement plans to our guest rooms and resort. If ever you find yourself in our area, we hope you grant us the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I got to spend four wonderful days at the resort, and it was well worth it. The room was amazing, and I had a balcony to sit outside on where I did have a view of the water. The bed was amazingly comfortable and the pillows were fantastic. But what really made my stay awesome was Rosario, the maid, who was super kind and caring, and made sure that if I needed anything, she got it for me. She gave wonderful service, especially making sure I had enough coffee! I will definitely recommend this Hilton to everyone.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo