“Excellent Experience”

Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa
Ranked #103 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Overall, I think the best asset this resort has is its personnel, Especially Shawn. He treated us nicely and with great patience. He suggested us where to visit in the city and he quickly resolved a problem we encountered in our room and helped us make great use of the great Amenities in the resort (Reserve tennis court and spa). The trip woudn't have been as memorable as it was without him.
The resort is perfectly located in the middle of many different places. Its super convenient to travel to La Jolla, Sea World and Downtown.

Overall, I love this hotel. I actually extended my trip a day more at the end.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Trevor C
HiltonMissionBay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Thank you for sharing your review of your stay with us. I am happy we were able to provide you with excellent customer service. We greatly appreciate your feedback and will be able to use it to improve our guest experience. Thank you again.

Vera Johnson, Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,339)

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Not the best property by Hilton Resort standards. The staff is very accomodating and friendly, but other than the pool area, the condition of property is dated, especially the bay front villas which are several decades old.

The rooms have been refurbuished, but lighting is dim, and public hallways, courtyard areas and parking lots are run-down, dirty and not pleasant.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank BusTraveler999

Thank you for sharing your review of your stay with us. We regret that your expectations of our resort was not met. Thanks to reviews like yours, we are constantly making improvement plans to our guest rooms and resort. If ever you find yourself in our area, we hope you grant us the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I got to spend four wonderful days at the resort, and it was well worth it. The room was amazing, and I had a balcony to sit outside on where I did have a view of the water. The bed was amazingly comfortable and the pillows were fantastic. But what really made my stay awesome was Rosario, the maid, who was super kind and caring, and made sure that if I needed anything, she got it for me. She gave wonderful service, especially making sure I had enough coffee! I will definitely recommend this Hilton to everyone.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank GwenRobby
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My boyfriend surprised me with a trip to San Diego and Erica Bannon made the trip one to remember. When we arrived she greeted us with a very warm smile and a "Happy Birthday!" and I immediately knew this was going to be a special trip.
When we got to our water-front suite there were chocolate-covered strawberries, champagne and fresh cut flowers with a hand-written note from Erica. She also helped coordinate dinner at Azul in La Jolla. Needless to say the trip woudn't have been the same without her!
This hotel is the perfect place to spend a special day or a weekend getaway. I have already recommended this place to many friends, and referred them to Erica!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NataliaCBrown
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Our children gave us a room at the Hotel for our Anniversary. They purchased it on "Living Social" and I was a bit apprehensive, not knowing if a NICE Hotel would have offers on Living Social. We were supposed to be in a Tower Room and they gave us a Garden View Room, mini suite, which was really nice. It had a patio with comfortable chairs and you could walk right out to the garden and beach, just a few steps away. We enjoyed Happy Hour in the bar and walked around the grounds. We were there in February because the voucher was expiring, but were lucky with the weather, but of course it was still too cold to go to the beach or use the pool. However, we were so impressed with the facilities and thought it would be a great place to return with our children and grandchildren, with the close proximity to the beach and the lovely pool. Unfortunately, as we were leaving for dinner, it was quite apparent that our neighbors were too noisy for us to stay in this room overnight. So, after dinner, we explained the situation to the front desk and asked to be moved, preferably in the same building so we wouldn't have to lug our bags too far. They couldn't give us a garden room, but they upgraded us to an upstairs room with a view of the Bay! Oh, my gosh, it was fantastic! The people at the front desk could not have been nicer! The room and amenities were very nice, bed comfortable and the view spectacular. We ate in the dining room the next morning and had a lovely buffet. We are so thankful that our kids gave us this wonderful anniversary gift and we would definitely return and have recommended the Hotel to many people.

Room Tip: Room in the 2 story buildings.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mamagrigs
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Beware of the tricky charges. This hotel must have a lot of hired mass reviewers on payroll. This is hardly a 3 stars hotel with 5 star charges. I paid $100 per night on Priceline but the extra charges are ridiculous. $32 for self parking, $6 for bottled water, $54 for a junk break fast buffet (two adults & 2 small kids) and you end up paying the same as if you stay at a much nicer Hyatt or Marriott in La Jolla. We arrived around 10 pm and ended up parking our own car with very limited parking space. The hotel did not offer any services after 10 so I ended up dragging my luggage through the plantation close to our building. Long hairs in the sink, molding in the shower, the carpet did not look clean. I tried to complaint to his majesty general manager which apparently required an appointment  so I talked to the manager. The manger was apologetic and offered us a newer room which was better. He offered us four complementary breakfast passes but once the $54 bill came, they took off $20. Tricky. All and all, I will not be back at this hotel. The only positive part of the hotel was the staff.

Room Tip: You end up paying easily %45 higher than the basic room rate. Self parking is $33 per day. A lot of...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank sean P

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you were frustrated at some of the costs associated with staying at our resort. It is our hope that the passport of vouchers we provide you upon check-in will help alleviate some costs. Exceptional guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback will help us improve. Thank you once again for your comments.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed here for 6 days and 5 nights for a conference. Overall, the hotel is in good shape and the amenities are nice. Because I was there for a conference they discounted the parking rate and internet was free. However, the internet NEVER actually worked in my room. I had to either go and sit in the lobby or tether from my phone to get a reliable connection.There is one restaurant, a coffee shop, and a marketplace on site. Everything is really pricey and if you don't have a car to travel offsite for meals, supplies, etc. expect to pay a lot. I liked the hotel but I don't think I'd go back again for pleasure just because it is so far from everything. Also, it is about a $20 taxi ride to/from the airport or downtown and they do not provide a complimentary shuttle...

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business