“Updated room in an older property”

Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa
Ranked #100 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

Our room was nice but it was obvious someone had been smoking in it. As a Hilton honors member it would have been nice not to put us by the elevator shaft and ice machine so I could listen to that all night. It was raining and the room actually smelled moldy. The food was outstanding but very over priced. There are no restaurants near by to go to. The nearby Hyatt was much cheaper and nicer. This hotel might be nicer in warmer weather

• Stayed: January 2013
hiltonmissionbay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Thank you for your review of your recent stay. I appreciate your honest feedback about your experience while staying at our hotel. Your review provides feedback that our hotel team needs to re-evaluate guest needs and meet guest expectations of our valued Hilton members. Please feel free to provide any additional feedback to vjohnson@missionbayhilton.com

There are newer reviews for Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa

Reviewed February 6, 2013

No internet in room and poor internet in conference facilities...and I was there for a telemedicine conference...ironic. I sent follow-up email 2x, before having to call to request folio for stay. Then I was emailed an incorrect folio. I was asked to call back later several times when I made requests. I wanted to extend my stay and was told they were full, but then charged for the extra night. There is little options as there is only one restaurant in hotel (very good) and nothing else close by. I had to eat there three times.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

We are sorry we were unable to provide you with the quality of amenities and service you expect from Hilton during your recent stay. We apologize for the issues you experienced with our internet and staff and we will work with our team to ensure this does not happen again. We are currently implementing a new project to provide wireless internet to all of our guestrooms, which could explain the intermittent internet service you received. Your feedback provides great insight to areas for future improvement. If you return to our area, we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the Hilton San Diego Resort and Spa. I stay at Hilton properties rather exclusively and this property was very nice. As a diamond member, they upgraded me to the bay side 3rd floor. Great view, room was well decorated, up-to-date, and very clean. Room service was prompt but food was not that great. Guest relations were very nice and friendly at check in. Very convenient to the airport. I would recommend this property to folks staying in the area.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Bkwinstin

I appreciate your review of your recent stay at our hotel. It is great to hear that you had an overall nice stay with us. Exceptional guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback will help us continue improve. Thank you once again for your comments and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Find a hotel that has access to city transportation for the attractions; this hotel is too isolated. The rooms are average, with minimal amenities for this type of hotel. The concierge was not very interested in helping us with our questions. Limited restaurant capacity and staff.
Room service efficient, but the food a rip-off. One shouldn't have to pay $50 for 2 hamburgers!

Room Tip: Get a room away from the noise of the freeway.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review. We’re very sorry you experienced an undesirable stay and level of customer service with us. The problem you mentioned with our staff have been addressed. We appreciate you alerting us to some of these issues and we hope you will give us a second chance if you return to the area.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

This hotel was trouble from the start. I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights last week. Upon check in I learned there was an error with my check in date. They had me checking in the previous day. I asked for the extra charge to be removed and the clerk went to check with the manager in a back office. The clerk came back 5 minutes later to tell me the manager said no. Fine, rip me off...

I ate at the hotel restaurant the first night with a couple of coworkers. When checking in with the hostess she asked us to wait outside for ten minutes because she said she just sat a table of 2 people. The restaurant was practically empty and only a few tables were being used. That should have been my first indication that the service was going to be bad. So we sat outside for 15 minutes with a man chain smoking cigars. When we were finally sat, we ordered and our salads came fast. It took almost another half hour for the main course to arrive. The waiter never came back to check on the meal and I had to flag him down twice just to get our water glasses refilled. When I flagged him down to get the bill, I asked to get the bill for the entire table. He came back with separate checks. Huh?? After a long tedious night we were finally finished.

The rooms are ok. My room had a balcony that had the world's thinnest glass. I could hear everything going on outside, day and night, as if the door was wide open. The walls are also just as thin. I just love it when I can hear the rooms above and next to me using the bathroom. So gross...

The last night of my stay I opened the $5.50 bottle of Evian water. I called the front desk and asked for the water to be added to my bill so it would reflect properly on the bill that would be slid under my door that night. For expense purposes, I need the bill to reflect the full charges and not have another charge show up days later that's not on the bill. The front desk assured me it would be on the bill. The bill came and, of course, the water was not on the bill. The morning of check out, I walked to the front desk and asked the woman at the front desk to add the water to the bill. She said ok and then printed out the bill. As I walked out, I read over the bill and she DID NOT add the water to the bill. I had to go back to the font desk and ask her to show me where she added the water. All she could say was I just thought you wanted a reprint of the bill. Hello! I already had the bill in my hand. I don't need a copy of the same thing. She then told me she couldn't add the water to the bill. At this point I'm totally frustrated. The front desk said they could add it when I called last night, then this lady tried to deceive me by reprinting the bill and ignoring my request, then she tells me she cant add a dumb $5 bottle of water!!! I ask to speak to the manager because I just need the bill to reflect the charges that will go on my credit card. Seriously is that too much to ask? A bill that matches the charge?!?! The clerk goes back to the back room with the manager and comes back and said the manager overrode the charge so it would reflect on the bill finally. I cant believe this process was so difficult. I NEVER HAVE THIS PROBLEM AT MARRIOTT. I think it's terrible that the manager hides in the back room like the Wizard of Oz and will never come out to speak with anyone. On both occasions, during check in and check out the manager would never come out and speak to me directly.

Now to top everything off....I was double charged for that dumpy bottle of water. They charged my credit card again on a separate bill after check out. Now I'm playing phone tag with the account receivables man to get this stupid trivial charge taken care of. ARGH!!!

This hotel was a total headache from start to finish. Overcharged for the room, double charged for the water, and completely INCOMPETENT STAFF. Soo not worth my time and now I'm still having to dealing with this hotel a week later. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Olive272
hiltonmissionbay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm very sorry you had a disappointing experience with us during your stay. We apologize for the issues you experienced with our staff and will work with our management team to ensure that all the issues have been addressed. Guest feedback is incredibly important to us and we are taking your comments into consideration as we improve our on-property experience. The manner in which this situation was handled is not typical of our hotel and we’re very sorry this wasn't resolved during your stay. We hope you will consider staying at our hotel again. I would love to assist you in your situation with Accounting. Please contact me directly at vjohnson@missionbayhilton.com.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

DREADFUL place. filthy. the furniture in lobby was caked with dirt ,cobwebs on pool gate,sidewalks littered w pine needles and clods of wet mowed grass, stairways covered in bird dung and years of grime, ripped shredded carpeting, terrible restaurant service, insulted by the chef- when asked for our dinner to not be stacked the staff brought out every ingrediant seperate dishes, should be fired ! pool and tub needed cleaning,furniture was stained and worn. andrealize a 20$ cab ride to anywhere. that adds up quick!should offer a shuttle service to balboa.internet was like 1992, need to let people steal the pool towels so they can get new one. Disgusting faded worn out has-been hotel. moved to Hilton bayfront and treated like royalty. AVOID this place. Manager needs to be replaced.NOT Hilton standards.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Diamondmembers

We appreciate your review of your recent stay with us and sincerely apologize we did not meet your expectations. The manner in which your restaurant experience was handled is not typical of our hotel and I will be sure to address the appropriate parties. The condition of our resort is something we continuously work to improve and are grateful you brought this to our attention. We are very sorry we were not able to provide a satisfactory experience while you were here. We greatly appreciate your feedback and will be able to use it to improve our guest experience. Thank you again.

Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

Biggest frustration is that internet did work anywhere in the hotel! What is the point of
Having business meeting here without internet!

Restaurant is nice and location is good. However as a business person the above does not outweigh Internet issues.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank g2g5
hiltonmissionbay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm very sorry you had a disappointing experience with using our internet. Please know that this is currently being addressed and we are working as swiftly as possible so that this does not affect other guests. Exceptional guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback will help us improve. Thank you once again for your comments.