“Past its sell by date”

Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa
Ranked #99 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Had really looked forward to our stay as we have used Hiltons in the past and been impressed. However this Hotel goes right at the bottom compared to other Hiltons we have stayed at and as a previous reviewer stated the whole propery is looking tired and in need of more that a little TLC; it needs a few bucks thrown at it. The bathroom in our particular room was way out of date with a rusting bath ( how much does it take to replace and old bath with a plastic one which does not show signs of rust) and the tiles in our bathroom reminded me of ones we had 20/30 years ago. The room was very quiet and spacious with a large comfortable bed but there was only one chair in the room. All the staff we met were very friendly and helpful so the main problem was purely property related. The shuttle service was a bit of a mystery and as the hotel was a bit out of town it would have been good to have a regular service to down town, we were even let down on the last day despite having booked it to go down to the cruise terminal. I loved San Diego but would stay downtown next visit.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Traveller_S-WalesUK
hiltonmissionbay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Thank you for providing us with your review. It will help us greatly in improving upon our guests' experience. I'm sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations. We are currently working on several improvement projects and it is our hope that you give us another opportunity to provide you with a different experience.

Vera Johnson, Hotel Manager

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Unlike marvin3004, I do not often stay in a half-dozen different five star hotels in rapid succession, so my experience was contextually different right off the bat. I enjoyed my time at this bay front resort in the self-proclaimed world's finest city (arguable). The views were nice, the food was tasty, and the customer service staff was on point. They were extremely friendly and accommodating - exactly the type of reception you'd want when checking in somewhere. Especial mention to Amanda at the front desk. She had me at hello. The rest of the staff were great as well. A+ to HR and/or management for recruiting and/or training a legit varsity squad. Overall good experience and I'd definitely come back.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Sean M
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Great location,Staff was excellent and friendly.Room was spacious and clean.Tall tower had great view of
the bay.Parking a little pricey at $32.00 a night and they block off qute a few with cones but all in all was
an excellent stay

Room Tip: if you like a view get a west side 8 story tower
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Bill G
hiltonmissionbay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

We are so glad you enjoyed your visit and we thank you for your feedback as your opinion matters. Our guest's comments and suggestions are important to us and we hope that you choose to share them with your friends and loved ones. If you are ever in our area, we hope we get the opportunity to provide you with another excellent experience.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Really disappointed with this hotel, just stayed in 6 5 star hotels from San Francisco to San Diego and this is the worst.
Rooms are ok, but hotel exterior is very dated and tired looking.
Great location for Sea World, Gas Lamp district and zoo, but overall not great, but we did stay 8th Dec which is low season.
32 dollars a night for car parking is outrageous, will not stay here again.

Stayed: December 2012

Reviewed December 9, 2012

This is the second time I stayed at this hotel and I love it. The customer service is SO fantastic!!! They are not just friendly, they listen, they are effective and they are solution oriented. I have to give a SPECIAL shout out to TC. I want to buy a hotel so I can steal her from their staff. She is so good, I ask for her by name.

About the hotel: The rooms are nice, the food is pretty good (mostly I eat at the events or out, but what I have eaten there was good), the pool is fun, and I like the private area for adults only near the 300 building.

About my stay this time: The room was really lovely (on the bay with a private balcony), but it felt musty. One night around 1:00am, a pipe burst on the balcony (crazy loud pouring water and an alarm, but no water in the room). I know this was a freak act of nature (or mechanics), but in the end, all the matters is how they fixed it. The overnight staff was not great. We asked them to keep us updated (and they didn't) and the pipe ran (not poured) all night.

It was how Elizabeth (the manager) and TC handled it that was flawless. They moved our things, put us in a fab room. Just as importantly, they listened and took action. It was not about blame; it was about correcting the situation -- which they did.

I am pretty picky about excellent customer service and I think this is where this hotel has it down pat! I Highly recommend staying there. They also are great with events.

The only reason I took off one for the cleanliness of the room was because the first room was really musty. They kept it clean. There was something more fundamentally wrong just with that room. The new room they put us in was flawless.

I look forward to seeing them again in April! -- S

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank sbavaro

We very much appreciate you sharing your experience with us and other travelers. Excellent guest service is the cornerstone of our brand promise, and will make sure to mention your positive review of both TC and Elizabeth. I apologize for the issues you experienced with your initial room. Please know that this is not an issue I am used to addressing, and I assure you that this has been addressed with our engineering staff. Once again, we thank you for your review and we look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

I have been to San Diego many times for both business and pleasure and stayed at many different hotels. After staying at the Hilton, I will stay only here. From the friendly employees, to the gorgeous pool to the locally brewed beers in the bar, it was an overall great stay. This should be the only place you stay in San Diego!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jenniehessel

Thank you for sharing your review of your recent experience at our resort. I am happy to read that that you had an excellent stay. Recently rated top in the top 10 microbrewery capital in the United States, San Diego is home to some great craft beers, and we certainly try to keep our bar's inventory stocked with San Diego's finest. Our guest's comments and feedback is very important to us and we certainly appreciate yours.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

The hotel has a great location (right off the 5 Freeway) and near Mission Beach and a great property. My biggest gripe are the rooms. Our room, located in the Tower, had problems as soon as we walked in. Some of the lights didn't work, the phones didn't work and the bathtub had water and dirt just sitting in there.

One of the supervisors did (TC) did a good job in trying to make our stay better and remedy the problems quickly. The problem was when I spoke with one of the managers the following day he did very little to try and fix a new problem - Housekeeping had taken my wife's sleepware. The best they could offer was a $50 credit for a future room stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple