“Stay-cation that fixed my hankering for Hawaii”

Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa
Ranked #99 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I chose this hotel because I could swim in the bay, bike the path and it's easy to get to, along with great accomodations. My niece needed a break from her 2 year old and the Phoenix heat. We landed in paradise. It's in Mission Bay park which means dining will be a short drive. That was fine by me because it really is easy to get around & there are so many options. (Try Red Sails Inn on Shelter Island for an affordable feast.) We saw dolphins swimming near us in the bay. I was concerned that the noise from adjacent suite would be too loud since it was a wedding aprty. I was offerred options and Sean, security guy, escorted us to see an alternate room and was most accomodating. He also advised I park my bike in the room rather than leave it on the back of my car due to bike thefts in the area. Room 504 allowed me to ride my bike directly off the path and into our room. I didn't eat at the hotel this time but last time it was fine. My niece adored the quality of bedding, pool side atmosphere and overall tranquility. I'll be back.

1  Thank maryloulizard
hiltonmissionbay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Thank you for the wonderful review! We're so honored that you chose to stay at our resort for a mini getaway with your niece. Hopefully she was able to escape the Phoenix heat without experiencing the odd San Diego heat wave we've been having. We sincerely appreciate your business and look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

I HAVE USED PRICELINE FOR THE PAST 5 YEARS UP UNTIL I GOT WHAT I THOUGHT WAS A FAIR PRICE FOR A ONE NIGHT STAY AT THIS HOTEL IN JANUARY 2012. I checked in not knowing the parking was 32 per night. Walked a log way to my room on to be disapointed. the lamp was broken, sliding glass door had a chain on, the carpet had a strange gum like texture, bathroom was old and tub peeling, the bed skirt had blood and very soiled, the decorative throw on the bed was stained. I called the front desk and got switched out to another room only to find it in worse condition. Switched to a third room still grotesque! At midnight I got so disgusted I pack up all my belongings and bolted for my car. Called Priceline who actually offered to refund my money. The manager stated they would take this hotel off their list as this was not the first complaint. I then vowed to never use PRICELINE AGAIN!! well 9 months later I fell into the same trap!!! I used PRICELINE and never thought in a million years my bid would fall into the hands of this same hotel! Ugh -it did! I called PRICELINE immediately thinking they would understand and help me. All I wanted to for them to cancel the purchase and let me rerun my bid eliminating that entire area since the managerback in January re-assured me this hotel would be removed from their list. But this time all I got was a giant headache after spending two hours on the phone with representatives in the phillipines who could not help me. I would rather chalk this up to experience and forfeit the money I spent than spend one minute in that hotel from hell! yuk!!!! Save yourself the time and find someplace else. If you do use PRICELINE make sure you do not check anywhere near this place!!! THe PRICELINE representative asked me to give this hotel another chance since they remodeled earlier this year-meaning earlier in 2012---I'm glad to see I was right!!! According to the recent review posted by Cheryl0322 They haven't changed!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank vhwind

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Please accept my sincerest apologies for what must have looked like a lack of attention here at our resort. Please note that I am looking to every housekeeping issue that you've referenced and have escalated it to our housekeeping and maintenance managers. We hold ourselves to the highest level of standards when it comes to cleanliness and I apologize that this was not your impression. Please know that this is not a review I am accustomed to reading, especially in regards to soiled bedding. For this claim, I would appreciate if you contacted me directly so that our management team can investigate this claim further. We would appreciate the opportunity to rectify this matter as soon as possible. We look forward to a speedy resolution.

vgalace@missionbayhilton.com

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We were pleased with our stay at the Hilton San Diego Resort and Spa UNTIL we got our bill the morning we checked out. My husband and I had been told there was a $32 parking fee. We thought it was for the 3 days we were staying at the property. It turned out to be $32 per night! We thought a little over $10 a day was steep enough, but to be charged $96 dollars just to park our car was absolute robbery. I will never again stay at this property. There is no need for the Hilton to price gouge their patrons.

Room Tip: The rooms have terrible lighting. It was difficult to see unless we were in the bathroom or had the...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I spent five days here on a business trip. The location is very remote. It cost $30 for a cab or $20 a person (minimum of four) to use the hotel shuttle to go anywhere! You will want to leave the hotel. If you are lucky enough to have a car, the hotel charges $32 a night to park in their lot. The service in the restaurants & bar was terrible! The food was over priced and not worth the wait. The employees in the restuarant seemed annoyed that we were there. The rooms are over 50 years old and are beginning to show it. The patio doors were extremely hard to open. The room was very dark since there were lights that did not work and were not repaired even after I requested it. I only received two out of five wake up calls that I had ordered. The clock radio worked, but the unadjustable volume was set so low I could barely hear it. The pool area is very nice, but the cabana's are $55 to rent. The front desk staff was very nice. I would recommend finding another hotel in a better area.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Cheryl0322
hiltonmissionbay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

We are sorry we were unable to provide you with the quality of amenities and service you expect from Hilton during your recent stay. We apologize for the issues in your room and will work with our maintenance team to ensure this does not happen again. Your feedback provides great insight to areas for future improvement. If you return to our area, we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Thanks,

Reviewed September 15, 2012

We thought the hotel was very good and our experience overall was very pleasant. We were a bit disappointed mainly because we didn't feel the experience matched the many reviews we read on the hotel. The room was very nice; however, the bathroom, in particular the bath area was very outdated, and it actually reminded us of the bath at a La Quinta, for example. The hallways in both the Villa Triana - where we stayed - and the main tower, were dark and dingy and had a very funny smell. Given that the resort charges resort fees, I would think that at least some of the activities (bikes, paddle boards...) should be included. However, my main issue was Chris at the paddle board rental. He was nothing short of rude from the moment we stopped by to rent the paddle boards - presumably because he wanted to leave work early. He explained that they could close if no one had any items rented out at 5:30pm, clearly insinuating that our request to rent anything would not allow him to close early. Aside from that, we had a very pleasant experience. The pool area was particularly great (including the food and the staff).

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I stayed here instead of any of the lower star hotels in the area because with my little one I knew we would be using the pool and I just couldn't stand the thought of being at hotel with a pool that was stark and motely. The Pool here delivered with good ambience and it was fun for kids. Good gift shop and nice employees everywhere. Really good high end bar food next to the pool and kids can sit on the patio there. Got a 2-bed queen room even with priceline. At the end of check in they casually said they would set me up with parking and I said I didn't need it and that was that. Didn't see any valet so I assumed that was what they meant and no signs or tow away warnings for the self parking around the bldgs. Saw reviews later that said they had a weird policy that the public doesn't pay to park but overnight guests pay over $30 per night. Still don't quite understand, but I didn't pay for parking and I was not towed. Yes, this property is getting a little long in the tooth and needs updating, plus the tower, where most of the rooms are located, is a little disconnected from the hotel, but it served our purpose completely. And it was not busy while we were there, it not being not a wknd night, but I can imagine the noise level if it had been because of what we could hear thru the walls. Oh, a plus is a small empty fridge in the closet and I was able to make the AC as cold as I wanted and it worked great. We stayed on the front side of the tower and were told we would not be on the fwy side so it wouldn't be too noisy. A major fwy runs right next to this hotel and the sound and view of it on that side of the tower must suck. And that side of the tower had huge square floodlights aimed directly at the side of the bldg and into all the windows all night. I don't think anything could have blocked it out. I was so glad we were not on that side of the bldg or this might have been a different review.

Room Tip: Don't let them put you on the freeway side of the tower.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for posting your feedback. I'm happy to hear that you and your little one enjoyed our pool. We feel it's one the most family friendly pools around. Kids especially love the kids pool where they can splash around comfortably. During our summer months, our pool is a hot spot for guests wanting both the comforts of a resort pool and spectacular views of the bay. In regards to parking, while we allow visitors to park their cars while occupying some of our outlets such as Acqua California Bistro and Spa Brezza, we do enforce parking in the evening as much as possible. This is to deter overnight parking from non-guests and helps ensure our guests have parking spaces of their choosing.

Again, thank you for your review. We are honored that you chose our resort for your family vacation, and we look forward to your return.

Thanks,

Reviewed September 10, 2012

My husband and I just returned from three days here. We were here for a wedding and this resort is absolutely fabulous. It is clean, spacious, beachfront location, fabulous food. They did an excellent job for a beachfront wedding, indoor reception, and outdoor rehearsal dinner. It is also centrally located to everything in San Diego.

Room Tip: Waterfront view
1  Thank Nan w
hiltonmissionbay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Thank you for posting your feedback and we're happy to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your stay. Our resort is certainly an ideal setting for waterfront weddings. Mission Bay and the iconic sunny San Diego sun provides the perfect backdrop for Southern California style weddings. Please come back and visit us again soon!