“They Will Rob You With Parking Fees”

Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa
Ranked #95 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Saint George, Utah
“They Will Rob You With Parking Fees”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We were pleased with our stay at the Hilton San Diego Resort and Spa UNTIL we got our bill the morning we checked out. My husband and I had been told there was a $32 parking fee. We thought it was for the 3 days we were staying at the property. It turned out to be $32 per night! We thought a little over $10 a day was steep enough, but to be charged $96 dollars just to park our car was absolute robbery. I will never again stay at this property. There is no need for the Hilton to price gouge their patrons.

Room Tip: The rooms have terrible lighting. It was difficult to see unless we were in the bathroom or had the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I spent five days here on a business trip. The location is very remote. It cost $30 for a cab or $20 a person (minimum of four) to use the hotel shuttle to go anywhere! You will want to leave the hotel. If you are lucky enough to have a car, the hotel charges $32 a night to park in their lot. The service in the restaurants & bar was terrible! The food was over priced and not worth the wait. The employees in the restuarant seemed annoyed that we were there. The rooms are over 50 years old and are beginning to show it. The patio doors were extremely hard to open. The room was very dark since there were lights that did not work and were not repaired even after I requested it. I only received two out of five wake up calls that I had ordered. The clock radio worked, but the unadjustable volume was set so low I could barely hear it. The pool area is very nice, but the cabana's are $55 to rent. The front desk staff was very nice. I would recommend finding another hotel in a better area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Cheryl0322
hiltonmissionbay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
We are sorry we were unable to provide you with the quality of amenities and service you expect from Hilton during your recent stay. We apologize for the issues in your room and will work with our maintenance team to ensure this does not happen again. Your feedback provides great insight to areas for future improvement. If you return to our area, we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We thought the hotel was very good and our experience overall was very pleasant. We were a bit disappointed mainly because we didn't feel the experience matched the many reviews we read on the hotel. The room was very nice; however, the bathroom, in particular the bath area was very outdated, and it actually reminded us of the bath at a La Quinta, for example. The hallways in both the Villa Triana - where we stayed - and the main tower, were dark and dingy and had a very funny smell. Given that the resort charges resort fees, I would think that at least some of the activities (bikes, paddle boards...) should be included. However, my main issue was Chris at the paddle board rental. He was nothing short of rude from the moment we stopped by to rent the paddle boards - presumably because he wanted to leave work early. He explained that they could close if no one had any items rented out at 5:30pm, clearly insinuating that our request to rent anything would not allow him to close early. Aside from that, we had a very pleasant experience. The pool area was particularly great (including the food and the staff).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
So Cal
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I stayed here instead of any of the lower star hotels in the area because with my little one I knew we would be using the pool and I just couldn't stand the thought of being at hotel with a pool that was stark and motely. The Pool here delivered with good ambience and it was fun for kids. Good gift shop and nice employees everywhere. Really good high end bar food next to the pool and kids can sit on the patio there. Got a 2-bed queen room even with priceline. At the end of check in they casually said they would set me up with parking and I said I didn't need it and that was that. Didn't see any valet so I assumed that was what they meant and no signs or tow away warnings for the self parking around the bldgs. Saw reviews later that said they had a weird policy that the public doesn't pay to park but overnight guests pay over $30 per night. Still don't quite understand, but I didn't pay for parking and I was not towed. Yes, this property is getting a little long in the tooth and needs updating, plus the tower, where most of the rooms are located, is a little disconnected from the hotel, but it served our purpose completely. And it was not busy while we were there, it not being not a wknd night, but I can imagine the noise level if it had been because of what we could hear thru the walls. Oh, a plus is a small empty fridge in the closet and I was able to make the AC as cold as I wanted and it worked great. We stayed on the front side of the tower and were told we would not be on the fwy side so it wouldn't be too noisy. A major fwy runs right next to this hotel and the sound and view of it on that side of the tower must suck. And that side of the tower had huge square floodlights aimed directly at the side of the bldg and into all the windows all night. I don't think anything could have blocked it out. I was so glad we were not on that side of the bldg or this might have been a different review.

Room Tip: Don't let them put you on the freeway side of the tower.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for posting your feedback. I'm happy to hear that you and your little one enjoyed our pool. We feel it's one the most family friendly pools around. Kids especially love the kids pool where they can splash around comfortably. During our summer months, our pool is a hot spot for guests wanting both the comforts of a resort pool and spectacular views of the bay. In regards to parking, while we allow visitors to park their cars while occupying some of our outlets such as Acqua California Bistro and Spa Brezza, we do enforce parking in the evening as much as possible. This is to deter overnight parking from non-guests and helps ensure our guests have parking spaces of their choosing.

Again, thank you for your review. We are honored that you chose our resort for your family vacation, and we look forward to your return.

Albany, New York
Reviewed September 10, 2012

My husband and I just returned from three days here. We were here for a wedding and this resort is absolutely fabulous. It is clean, spacious, beachfront location, fabulous food. They did an excellent job for a beachfront wedding, indoor reception, and outdoor rehearsal dinner. It is also centrally located to everything in San Diego.

Room Tip: Waterfront view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Nan w
hiltonmissionbay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for posting your feedback and we're happy to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your stay. Our resort is certainly an ideal setting for waterfront weddings. Mission Bay and the iconic sunny San Diego sun provides the perfect backdrop for Southern California style weddings. Please come back and visit us again soon!

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Spent 3 nights and 4 days here with my daughter and her mother in law for a relaxing Girls Getaway. Room was spacious, beautiful waterfront view, food great and the SPA....totally awesome!!!!! Hoping to return next year but will most likely rent a car to see more attractions. We flew into San Diego but the taxi service was convenient and everything we did was only a 15 minute ride. Great place to enjoy the outdoors, quiet and relaxing. Pool was very nice, staff exceptional.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Connie W
Thank you for posting your response. We're thrilled you chose our resort for such a special occasion, and that you and the girls had a great time. We've found that were a popular destination for girls' getaways! This is probably due to the relaxing, serene atmosphere we harbor and our proximity to some of San Diego's best landmarks. We hope you make this trip a recurring one, and we hope to see you soon!

Sandy, Utah
Reviewed September 9, 2012

My husband and I spent 4 days @ the Hilton Resort and Spa July 2012. This property is a great hotel. Clean, spacious, nicely decorated rooms. I picked this hotel because of the beach front location, right on mission bay, it was everything I expected and more. They have a sandy non-crowded beach right behind the hotel as well as a great boardwalk that runs around the whole bay. Great if you are looking for a relaxing beach getaway but close to downtown for nightly fun. We enjoyed the pool area as well as the convenience of the rental bikes for boardwalk site seeing. We had a great experience at this hotel and I will be returning to this property in the future.

Room Tip: Go for the standard rooms, they are spacious and nicely decorated.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CandaceW727
Thank you for writing a review! What a great review to read, and we are excited to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our resort. We feel that our location sets us apart from other hotels in San Diego. Being located just steps away from the sands of Mission Bay, six miles away from downtown San Diego, and about a mile from Sea World, we are centrally located to some of San Diego's best landmarks. Glad to see you took advantage of some of the most scenic bike routes in San Diego, which is just right outside outside your doorstep. We look forward to your next visit!