“WALL OF MOLD MADE ME ILL”

Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa
Ranked #92 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Highland, Michigan
“WALL OF MOLD MADE ME ILL”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I can't find anything good to say about this hotel. It is out in the middle of nowhere with nothing within walking distance. We were forced to get room service and paid $50 for breakfast for 2. I started getting sick on the 3rd day. I thought it was just an allergy from pollen. I kept feeling worse each day. Ahh-Haa! I found the source of the allergy on the last night there.... Green, White and black fuzzy thick mold all the way from the floor about 4 feet up the wall. I felt better the first morning after I returned to Michigan. This is supposed to be a 4 star hotel. It should not be moldy! TV sucked as well. No channels worth watching and no movie channels unless you order a movie. Would NOT recommend this place. Go to Pacific Beach. Much better location.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel or you will be taking a taxi everywhere. It is $28 per night to park a car...
1 Thank lisalaw
hiltonmissionbay, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 7, 2011
Lisa,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your feelings regarding your stay. I sent you a personal email through Trip Advisor and hope to talk to you further regarding your feedback.

As you can imagine I am quite concerned to see the pictures you posted and hope you can let me know the location of the pictures so I can inspect this personally. I am sincerely curious where these shots were taken, especially because the wallpaper and silver wall fixture shown in these images are unlike any walls or fixtures that I’m familiar with at the hotel. We are very proud of the cleanliness of this resort and do score very high when Hilton performs its surprise inspections twice a year. I would never state that we are 100% all the time, but would like to investigate your claim in great detail as this is highly unusually for our resort.

In response to your feedback regarding our televisions, I am happy to report that we are installing an upgraded television system and wireless internet system next year. Our parking and room service charges are competitively priced with our local area, yet I do feel badly that you were so disappointed by them. I will speak with our reservation department regarding how we describe the resort because we would never want anyone to stay with us that is not looking for this type of location. I do believe and hear from other guest that one of the most appreciated aspects of our resort is its beautiful and serene location. The resort sits in the middle of Mission Bay affording our guest numerous recreation options, however it does also mean that you are surrounded with many acres of parks and water. Also, we are centrally located so that you can get anywhere in San Diego in a matter of minutes by car or our complimentary resort shuttle.

If you would like to talk to me in greater detail please contact me or email me at gfracassa@missionbayhilton.com.

Gregg Fracassa
Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Apollo Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed November 26, 2011

Great property, service and location. Right off the 5 easy to reach downtown, old town, Zoo ect
On site restaurant is very good. Nice gift shop, knowledgeable staff, look for Patricia for great insight for things to do around to town

Room Tip: Suites are the way to go
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Ray M
hiltonmissionbay, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
Hi Ray M,

Thank you so much for the outstanding review! We are thrilled that you had a great experience at the resort and appreciate your feedback. We hope to see you again soon so we can continue to give you that “5-Star” service you are looking for!

Best regards,
Altanta, GA
Reviewed November 25, 2011

Hotel consists of a tower and some condo style rooms. Stopping in building 500 we have a top floor condo room. Room itself is very nice, fridge, microwave, large flatscreen tv, balcony with garden view. Seems strange, but no HBO - i guess they want you to spend the $16 on a movie instead.

The walls in the hallway could do with a touch of paint in places and the tiled floor areas at both ends of the building were dirty.

There is no buffet for breakfast and the coupons are good or a continental breakfast which is very limited in what you can get. Otherwise prices seem to be standard.

Hotel grounds are very nice as is the pool area. It is heated, but all that really means is that it is not cold, so its too cold to be using this time of year.

Happy hour at the olive is great, cheep drinks and food too. The pizza we had last night was good and was much larger than expected for the $10.

Parking: i dont know why they are charging people so much for parking... Its not like people are going to come here witout a car - just seems like a hidden fee. This s why they get a low rating in value for money.

Overall, nice place and would come back again.

• Stayed November 2011
5 Thank BritGuyUSA
Hi BritGuyUS,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us at the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa. I’m glad to see that you enjoyed our happy hour, your guestroom and the hotel grounds. Yet, it appears as though we did not exceed all of your expectations and for that, I apologize. I will share your feedback regarding our continental breakfast with our Executive Chef to see how we can expand upon our current offerings. I will also check with our engineering team regarding the temperature of the pool as it should be heated to a comfortable level year-around.

As for the feedback regarding parking, we do charge a parking fee that is consistent with other resort properties in the area. I apologize if you were unaware of this fee, yet we try our best to communicate this through our website, on-site signage, pre-arrival emails, front desk newsletter and our in-room resort video. Yet, I would like to point out that we do not charge a resort fee and offer complimentary resort conveniences such as a 24-hour fitness facility and a complimentary shuttle.

I hope to see you again soon so we have a change to further exceed your expectations.

Redlands, California
Reviewed November 25, 2011

We went down to San Diego to see the Packers vs. Chargers game, and had such a wonderful weekend! The staff at this hotel are completely amazing; the room service was stellar and the cuisine in the restaurant was beyond compare. It would be impossible to find enough superlatives to describe the quality of our stay. Chef Jimmy and his staff provided the most wonderful dinner (pumpkin ravioli, a creme brulee trio) the night before the game! After the game, we treated ourselves to room service, and enjoyed far too much food (pizza margherita, a chicken sandwich, bruschetta, etc.) served with excellent care. I cannot give a high enough recommendation for this hotel; needless to say, I will be back many times, if this is any indication of how guests are treated at this lovely hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
9 Thank GiraffesAreHigh
Hi AuOphir,
Thanks so much for the outstanding review! I’m thrilled that you got to experience our world-class cuisine and will personally share your feedback with Jimmy! I hope to see you back again soon!
All My Best,
Director of Guest Services
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed November 22, 2011

We will never stay at this location again. This trip was for our wedding anniversary and recovering from extensive cancer therapy. Fire alarm went off at night and it was laughed off as a prank. No emergency services were dispatched when there was smoke coming in through our bathroom vent. The restaurant on site had no menu posted. The food was horrible and over priced. The concierge was not supportive in our inquiries to certain attractions. He acted as if were interrupting "his day!" The front desk help were nice but when we mentioned our displeasure or concern - no- solutions were given. The young lady in the coffee shop very helpful.

2 Thank Cynthia A
Hi Cynthia A,

I’m sincerely sorry that you did not have a good experience at our property. This is in no way a representation of the level of service that we expect from our team members. I will be personally discussing your feedback with our concierge to make sure that no guest feels as though they are "inconveniencing him" when requesting advice.

In regards to the fire alarm going off during your stay, I can assure you that the appropriate measures were taken by multiple team members to confirm that this was a false alarm and no smoke was present. Our security team always works diligently in any case of emergency and our entire team is trained to take such situations very seriously.

I also apologize that you did not find our cuisine to be up to your standards. Our award-winning Executive Chef, Hermann Schaefer, works very hard to please all palettes by providing a wide selection of casual dining and fine dining options. If you would like to give me more details on why the food did not meet your expectations, I will share them with our Chef, please feel free to contact me directly at lcampbell@missionbayhilton.com. Thank you for your feedback.

Foresthill, Ca
Reviewed November 20, 2011

So, I take these reviews seriously and try my best to guide you all with all of the facts....Here's our story during our Nov stay at the San Diego Hilton Resorts.....Start with the positives....Front desk staff was awesome, great, friendly and fast check in.....Location is great, close to Sea World, Old Town and a couple of parks. Room in the 200 building was great, well appointed.

Here is the Bad.....we checked in and paid with Hilton Points....Hotel was 95% full with a church group and the noise was terrible - until 1 am each morning.....No control and no sleep until 1 am each night....called the front desk and security checked but noise continued. Next, 28 bucks a day for self parking is a joke - absolute rip off and I had to part on the other side of the complex and walk.......Based on the noise and the parking, the pros outweigh the cons....Finally, 50,000 HHonors points is too high....

Large groups, adults need to be the adults and manage your kids. Hilton, correct the parking situation.....28 bucks is a rip off.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
hiltonmissionbay, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Hi ScottB68,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We also take all reviews very seriously and use them to improve upon our processes and customer experience. I’m thrilled that you had the chance to interact with our friendly resort staff, enjoy our “well-appointed” guestrooms, and experience our convenient location. Yet, I apologize that a group we had in-house created noise problems throughout your stay. We do our best to keep groups staying in-house under control. I will make sure to personally discuss your concerns with our security supervisor right away so these types of situations are properly handled moving forward. Also, in response to your concern about our parking fee, we do charge a flat rate of $28 per night to park on property, which is consistent with other resort properties in the area. We do not, however, charge a resort fee and offer many complimentary resort amenities for our guests, such as a complimentary shuttle to Old Town and SeaWorld, access to our state-of-the-art fitness center 24-hours a day, and free WiFi in our lobby and restaurant. I hope that you will consider staying with us again so we have the chance to further exceed your expectations.
Best regards,
San Diego, California
Reviewed November 19, 2011

There is more to a hotel than just a clean room. It starts at the front desk for me. The second I entered the lobby, William and TC made us feel welcome. This goes a long way for me. I wish more hotels that I stay at have more front people like these two. I will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for buildng 500. You are close to the pool, looks out over the garden and feet from the bay.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank JAMES B
Hi James B.,
Thanks so much for the outstanding review! And I have to agree, William and TC are fantastic at what they do… it is truly our team members that keep our guests coming back to see us again and again! I will share your review with them personally. We hope to see you soon!
Lisa Campbell, Director of Guest Relations