“Pool covered in Duck excrement!!!”

Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa
Ranked #97 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cheltenham
“Pool covered in Duck excrement!!!”
Reviewed June 5, 2011

We stayed here in September 2010 as a relaxing break prior to a not so relaxing trip to Las Vegas. The hotel was nice, the room was lovely but the customer service was just shocking. Being an animal lover the ducks in the pool were a novelty for the first few minutes but it became apparent that they were not leaving anytime soon and pretty soon the bottom of the pool and the whole edge of the pool was scattered with duck excrement. I went to speak to reception at around 11am and was told that it would be cleaned up soon, but hours went by an no cleaner arrived. I went back to complain again as was greeted with 'well I am sorry you feel that way but the ducks were here long before you' and that 'you don't need to worry there is so much chlorine in the pool that you wont catch anything'. I was horrified at the terrible customer service. Eventually my partner went it to complain and was told that the cleaners had gone home and would be back at around 3pm to clean the pool. They eventually arrived at around 4pm. We went out every evening and asked for a taxi and was given the 'house' car which turned out to be 50% more expensive than a taxi. From that night we insisted on a taxi being called for us but the guy was clearly unhappy with this and once he ignored us altogether and called the 'house' car. We refused to get into it on the grounds that it was too expensive and eventually had to get a taxi number from a return journey, call it before we went out and meet it away from the hotel (they would not come to the hotel). There was however one nice gyt and on the day he was on shift he called us a taxi without any issue and didnt even call the 'house' car. I wish I could remember the rude ones name - but he wore glasses and had blonde hair. It is such a shame because the hotel in itself was nice.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wilko2211
hiltonmissionbay, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 20, 2011
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review. It’s comments like yours that help us improve our services and standards. And our standards are much higher than the service you experienced during your stay. Not only do we have a cleaning crew that cleans the pool each night, but we also clean the pool periodically throughout the day as ducks do tend to love our garden property. I have addressed your concerns with our management team at both the front desk and housekeeping and can assure you that a guest request such as this will not go unanswered. Also, our town car service is equivalent to the going rate of cabs in the area and our bell staff has been instructed to call a taxi any time that one is requested by a guest. Your feedback has been shared with both our bell staff and town car drivers to ensure that this is the case moving forward. Please feel free to reach out to me directly via email at lcampbell@missionbayhilton.com as I hope to change your mind about the property and exceed your expectations next time around.
Lisa Campbell, Director of Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (700)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed June 5, 2011

A little far from the action. The room it self was nice and tidy with a nice balcony. Pool area was really excellent with two jacuzzi's, heated pool and loads of sunbeds. They also have fireplaces with gas/vulcano-stones - where we enjoyed margaritas before dinner. The restaurant however did not impress much. The service was not up to Hilton standards, and the food was'nt all that. The gym is not so big, but well equipt. The steam sauna did'nt get that hot.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank amaze79
I’m glad to hear that you had such a wonderful stay with us. We do appreciate you taking the time to let us know how your experience was and want to thank you personally for choosing the Hilton San Diego Resort and Spa. We look forward to welcoming you back to San Diego and would suggest a bike ride on our newly renovated boardwalk to Sea World, a quick 5-minute drive to downtown San Diego, or taking the trolley to Old Town (the trolley stops on our front drive) so you can enjoy the close by attractions. Also, I’m concerned with the experience you received at Acqua. Our restaurant and Executive Chef has received highly acclaimed awards and takes great pride in our food and high level of service. I will make sure to share your feedback with our restaurant management and staff so we can make the necessary improvements. It would be much appreciated if you could give me some more details regarding your experience via email, lcampbell@missionbayhilton.com. We take our guest feedback very seriously and I appreciate your comments.
orange county, ca
Reviewed June 1, 2011

My wife and I, along with our daughter's family including her 4 young daughters (ages 2-10), stayed at the resort recently, booking multiple rooms. With multiple rooms, and young children, also comes the worry and stress over our assigned rooms including adjoining rooms, proximity to the pool, etc. On our recent stay, there was a misunderstanding on an early check-in promise made over the phone by one of the younger front desk employees. When we tried to initially check-in, we were told our rooms would not be ready for several hours. William Matthews overheard the conversation, during which I admittedly was annoyed. He stepped in, took control, and did everything I could have asked for, before I even had a chance to think, or ask for anything. During the rest of our one week stay, he repeatedly contacted me to make sure everything was to our satisfaction. Through my work travels, I frequently stay in 5-star hotels throughout the United States. The level of service and professionalism shown by Mr. Matthews was above and beyond the call of duty, and certainly more than could be expected by anyone. This was Spring Break in San Diego, and as one would expect the hotel was very busy. In spite of the demands on his time, he went well out of his way to show he cared about our personal experience. He really made our trip outstanding. We would not consider staying anywhere else in San Diego. I would highly recommend the resort to anyone looking for a family vacation.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank billorangecounty
Thank you so much for the flattering comments. I’m thrilled to hear that we were able to make your family vacation special! I’ll be sure to thank William personally for making your trip so memorable. It is staff like William that makes our hotel a place that guests want to come back to. We look forward to seeing you again in the future!
Sacramento, California
Reviewed May 31, 2011

This has been the WORSE hotel stay I have ever experienced. My fiance and I checked into the hotel on Sunday, May 30th and had a room in the 100 villa. Our patio was walking distance from the pavillion, where a wedding was going on. By 8pm, you can hear the loud music coming from the wedding. I called front desk to ask when the volume was going to be lower and when the party was going to be over. I was told that the noise level will decrease by 10pm as it was their "hotel policy" and that the party should be wrapping up around midnight as the guests and vendors had to leave by 1am. 10pm came around and the noise level was louder than it was at 8pm. I gave wedding until 12am to decrease their volume before I complained about the noise again. Midnight came and all I could hear are drums and loud music coming from the wedding. Called the front desk and was told that they would call security and have them lower the volume. 10 minutes had past by and nothing. I got so frustrated that I went to the front desk where one of the workers and the night assistant manager, MATT, rudely told us that he could do nothing for us. Another couple complained about the noise (they were in the building across from the pavilion) and as we were complaining he rudely told us that he could do nothing for us if we continue to talk. Then he told us that he could do nothing about the situation. He was getting so defensive. What kind of Manager gets defensive when you have a irate customer who is trying to get some peace and quiet at a hotel they paid money for? He was so unprofessional and rude. He lacked the customer service skills that managers need to solve issues and complaints made by their customers. That was the WORSE customer service I have ever had. Worse of all, the party ended around 3am and they would not do anything about the noise. They did comp our night, but that wasn't until many complaints and frustrations about the noise issue. It was as if they let the party go on until 3am because they comp our night. They should have thought about the noise level before assigning guests to the villas and rooms near pavilion. How inconsiderate! Worse of all, they charge and arm and a leg for parking...$25 for a night. I would stay away if I were you!

2 Thank sheng0
Thank you for providing feedback regarding your stay. I apologize for your experience while staying at our property. It is not standard procedure to allow a wedding or social event to last into the late hours of the night. Our banquet and catering staff are aware of the inconvenience that this causes our guests and are committed to making sure that their events end on time moving forward. I also would like to apologize for the service you received while dealing with this inconvenience. I have discussed your comments with our front desk staff so they are better equipped to handle this type of situation. We sincerely take guest feedback to heart and use it to improve our resort and the overall guest experience. And again I apologize for your inconvenience.
Laguna Niguel, California
Reviewed May 31, 2011

We got a great deal on this room at the last minute. It was our 10th anniversary family getaway. I was able to get our room upgraded from a tower room to a villa room with a fire pit thanks to Alyssa at the front desk. The upgraded room was just a little bit bigger than the tower room, but was more to our liking than the tower room (we had 5 of us in the room...my husband and I and our three kids). The room was a dusty and poorly lit and not exactly what I would expect of a 4-star hotel. We wanted to use the fire pit, but the hotel marketplace pricing on wood and a smores kit was WAY over priced ($14.99 for a small bundle of wood and $26 for a smores kit)

We had an excellent experience with all of our needs. They were prompt to take care of everything we needed and we even checked in early with no issues. On Friday night they had popcorn and a movie playing in the pool area which our kids loved. The grounds looks beautiful, I just wish we took more time to walk around and check everything out. Our only issues with our stay was it seemed like more of a 3.5-star hotel, the parking was quite expensive at $25/night, and there was no wifi.

I think we're about 50/50 on staying here again.

3 Thank moomooluvr
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I’m glad that you and your family were able to experience our high standard of customer service and our fun “dive-in” movie night! Yet, I’m sorry that we fell short of your expectation regarding our guestroom infrastructure and lighting. I’m happy to report that just after the first of next year we will start a renovation that will bring us up to the newest standard and add WiFi throughout the property. I hope you can come again next year to experience these upgrades! Thank you again for your feedback.
Seattle, WA
Reviewed May 30, 2011

The location is beautiful. The restaurant and gift shop staff were friendly and helpful. The food was good. The pool area was clean and very pretty. they are on a good walkway for beach walking and there was plenty of sailboats, wave runners and bokes to rent.

The room itself wasnt real clean. Room service was quick.

My main issue was the Front Desk staff was so rude and had no customer service skills. From the moment I checked in - I felt as if it was an inconvenince for them to assist me. I tried to check in early as I was coming from one San Diego Hilton to another from business to pleasure. The Staff member checked me in and then told me he would call the cleaning crew to see if they would get me into my room early. He took my suitcase and then said he would call me. I waited 3 hours and didnt hear anything. When I called back I got someone else that said they NEVER let anyone check in and I could wait 10 more minutes. I felt I had been lied to. When I went back at check in time - another person made me go through the full check in process again and when I said I already did all of it, he said my credit card was declined..which I knew was not true. When I asked for my luggage I was not even directly responded to...and stood and waited, and had to ask again. When the desk rep gave me my key cards - he didnt even tell me what room number or how to find the room. This is a hotel which is spread out in several buildings. He called a bellboy to help with luggage and as soon as we got outside of the check in area, thebellboy passed me my key and said I could find the room and pointed the way.I struggled with my luggage as he went after what he thought was a better tip.When I got to the room, the maid was just coming out. Seriously! 4 hours later...
After leaving this hotel, I realized I left my Kindle in the bottom of the room safe which was ontop of a closet shelf. (I am short and couldnt see what was in it) I called and was forwarded to Security. It took them over 7 hours to call me back. They said the room was occupied and nothing was turned in. When I asked if they could call the room and ask them to take a quick look, I was ignored and told..we have your number if it shows up. Very very lazy...and poor service.
My friend called the other Hilton as she lives in the area and misundersstood which hotel I had left my Kindle in..and they called her back in 10 min and actually called the rrom and asked the guests to take a quick look...and then called back again. They were top notch...so it isnt any Hilton..it is just that Hilton that has terrible service. I wouldnt recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank terrth
I sincerely apologize for what you experienced while staying at our property. We seek to make EVERY aspect of your stay as positive as possible, especially the service that you receive at the front desk! Your feedback has been thoroughly reviewed with our front desk team and security staff to improve our level of customer service received by every guest. I’m thrilled that you enjoyed our location, restaurant and gift shop and hope that we will have a chance to host you again so we can exceed your expectations across the board.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 30, 2011

The hilton bayfront is the best hotel in the downtown san diego area. I just spent 3 days there for memorial day weekend with my husband and 16 year daughter and let me say that the only bad thing about the trip was that we couldn't stay longer.The pool area is great the fox sports grill is excellent for a nice afternoon dinner.The best thing of all is there customer service they treat everyone like a VIP .Hilton Bayfront ur the best!!!

2 Thank couturegal0818