“One day ok, two days maybe, three days, torture”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of La Pensione

La Pensione
Ranked #108 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
florida
“One day ok, two days maybe, three days, torture”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

I have reviewed this hotel before, it was better when I was alone and came back to the room late at night and just slept there. As I said before , the smallest rooms ($119) ) are small, very, very, small. This time around I had luggage and there were two of us, it was pretty hard to navigate, kinda like ok, you go that way, and I'll go this way. If you need to be near Little Italy ( which I did) this is smack dab in the heart of it, that's the only plus I can the ally see.
Trying to sleep late, or come back to nap? Forget it, the coffee shop makes sure that doesn't happen, about once every minute they bang the espresso grind holder Bam! Bam! Bam! And sometimes a fourth Bam! Just to be sure everyone in the hotel is awake. This is not a boutique hotel, this is a motel six. Location, smocation, it's not worth it.
The staff is ok, but just ok, nothing to write home ( or in Trip Advisor) about. The hotel dog (Penny) is friendlier then the staff. So go if you want cheap, go if you want Little Italy at your doorstep.

Room Tip: There is a large room with two beds for extra $$
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tuscany1943
Marc H, General Manager at La Pensione, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
First off - thanks so much for trying us out a second time and bringing a guest! We're aware of the intimate size of our standard rooms, and are actually pretty happy with them, as they are considered one of the best travel deals in downtown San Diego.

And, as you mentioned, we do have larger rooms available at a slightly higher cost, just as any other hotel would charge more for different room types. If you book with any online travel agency, such as Expedia or Priceline, you'll automatically be booked in these rooms. However, you can always call us and we're happy to upgrade you.

Sorry if the noise woke you up. Since we're right in the middle of Little Italy, one of the livelier of downtown neighborhoods, you'll wake up to city sounds for sure. Personally, I consider it part of the charm of staying in an urban setting, but I realize not everyone is okay with city noise. And, not to disrespect our colleagues at Motel Six, but we are far from their concept and I'm sure all of our other past guests will agree.

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you this time around. I hope you'll be able to make it back one day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

I am giving this review three stars because I think it's just me. I stayed here on business - its NOT a good business hotel. The room is horribly tiny and you cannot connect wirelessly to the internet. I had to use an ethernet cable to get online. I havent used one of those in years. But that ties you to sitting at a too high desk, in a plastic, uncomfortable chair to work which is not adjustable to height - rediculous. The room has less than 3 feet from the desk to the bed thereby leaving not a single little area for me to do my morning excercise tape. My business partners room was a little better, but not much. Being female the lighting is HORRIBLE to put on make up. You will need to bring a good sized mirror and be by the window or keep going out your door in the daylight. My sink was in my room, not the bathroom. My partner's was actually in the bathroom but it was so tiny I could not have done my hair and make up. We booked the room because it was only one night and we were so close to our favorite restaurant in Little Italy. Next time we will book elsewhere and walk. The place is clean enough, the beds are comfortable, and the people are nice, but it's just not for me. One redeeming quality is that the windows open wide. Thank goodness or I would have felt very closed in. I am thankful I booked at an inexpensive rate with expedia and didnt pay the full rate - I would have been felt like I didnt get my money's worth.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Shelley J
Marc H, General Manager at La Pensione, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Hello - thank you so much for leaving us your feedback! Unfortunately, because you booked with Expedia is why you were given our standard room type (which is by far our smallest). If ever you do make it back to San Diego and Little Italy again, consider booking with us directly and we can offer you are larger rooms. I hate that feeling of being closed in, so I definitely understand where you are coming from.

Also - good news: We will begin offering COMPLIMENTARY Wifi in August 2014. We're excited for this, as we know that the ethernet cable doesn't allow you much room to move.

I appreciate your feedback on our lighting to do makeup. We will look into that.

Sorry it didn't work out this time around, but I do hope you're consider us in the future!
Canggu, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

For some reason, probably due to it's name and the published photographs, I had very low expectations of this hotel. However, my expectations were exceeded greatly and I just loved it. Little Italy on your doorstep, convenient to the airport (although the proximity meant a little aircraft noise but not enough to disturb our sleeep), farmers' market each Saturday right downstairs, friendly front desk. San Diegans are outsoorsy and everyone's around walking their dogs, mixing it with the tourists on the way to the waterfront, etc. Great hotel and great city - we'll be back for both!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bali4ever_10
Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014

The hotel is in a convenient area, close to the airport (by car) and there are lots of restaurants around. The rooms are very nice and the decoration is chic. It was a bit odd that my room didn't have a closet but instead had an open area with some hangers, but I was only there for 1 day so that was ok. The major problem? NOISY NOISY NOISY! Maybe it was my room, which overlooked the interior courtyard, as opposed to the street, but even with a closed window, I had to use earplugs to take a nap during the day. It wasn't just noise from the courtyard, but also I could hear every movement in the hallway. With earplugs, which I happened to have, I was fine, but for someone who was in desperate need of a nap after a long flight, it was a bit miserable. Night was quieter. Otherwise, great hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the street if you think you will be resting in the afternoon (courtyard facing...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Earth3003
Albuquerque, NM
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

We ALWAYS stay here when we go to San Diego, which is often. The rooms are small, clean, cute, and comfortable, the staff friendly and helpful, and the location is right in the middle of Little Italy with its great espresso coffee shops, Italian grocers, and delicious restaurants. You can easily walk to the waterfront. The hotel price is good for a big city, there is no breakfast included but right next to the hotel is a great sidewalk café and coffeshop. They offer parking on a first come basis, but note that the slots are small and a large cars may have trouble maneuvering in the garage. On Saturdays there is often a Farmers Market that sets up on the street outside- a lot of fun !

Room Tip: Some rooms have a view of the water.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank ArezzoNM
Reston, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

My friends and I stayed here from May 21-May 25. The hotel is close to great restaurants, the gaslamp district and the harbor. The hotel room was small but very clean. The staff were very friendly as well as the hotel's dog Penny. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014

The La Pensione staff is so nice, the hotel is clean, the location is fabulous....right in Little Italy in San Diego. The farmers market on Saturday is great. The rooms are small but very clean. We had a refrigerator in our room which was nice to have.

Room Tip: no balconies but with some rooms you can get a glimpse of the bay
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank JulesOhio
Marc H, General Manager at La Pensione, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Hello, thanks for staying with us and for leaving us a review! Sounds like you were able to make great use of the in-room refrigerators, especially handy to store fruit and such from the Farmers Market. We do have a few rooms with balconies that look out onto India Street. If ever you are interested in staying in them, give us a call and we can check availability.

Hope to see you here again soon!