“very cosy and nice aerea”
Review of La Pensione

La Pensione
Ranked #124 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed August 25, 2012

This boutique hotel is very nice! We had a wonderful time in san diego and even if our room was quite tiny the hotel is just renovated and looks really nice! The parking is a bit expensive but if you go duing the weekend you can easily and cheapily manage to park in teh street. The aerea in which it is located (little italy) is full of very good restaurants and we had a great pizza al taglio!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for La Pensione

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Location is right in Little Italy with great restaurants nearby.

Hotel itself is fairly nice and modern with a Spanish feeling. We had a great room on the 3rd floor with a balcony overlooking Little Italy.

There are no frills here. No coffee maker in room, no ironing board, no pool, etc. I would call it a budget boutique hotel.

The service was absolutely terrible. The A/C was making a buzzing noise every 30 seconds... like a LOUD buzzer/alarm clock sound. Woke me up every time... I switched the A/C off and opened the windows and it still made the sound. I complained at the front desk and the woman just held her head (facepalm) and said the managers knew about the issue since the previous night (it affected EVERY room) but did not warn anyone checking in, and would not give ANY discount or refund. She even said that she herself was frustrated with the situation and the lack of options provided by her management. My options were to leave in the middle of the night (and get money back for that night) or stay and have to pay. 2 of 4 people in my room were fast asleep because they were exhausted and heavy sleepers so I was not about to change hotels at 2 AM. Any normal person would not be able to sleep through a buzzer going off all night. Like someone else said, it was like a Family Feud buzzer! I received no apology. I slept horribly. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a great room on the 3rd floor with a balcony overlooking Little Italy.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Adam G
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I'm surprised at the multiple average reviews of La Pensione given the very fair price and great experience we had. This hotel delivers on all of the things a boutique property could. It's in a safe, lively area with cafes, restaurants and shops, within walking distance to the bay, downtown and the ferry to Coronado. The hotel itself has a peaceful courtyard on the interior with the lower lobby area connecting to a off-premise cosmopolitan cafe. The train is also a short walk away if for any reason you need to use public transit. The rooms are very small, but this is San Diego, you should not be spending too much time indoors. One low point was hearing excessive train noise in the evening. From my experience as an urban dweller, it sounded like there was a multiple track switch nearby. It did not detract from the experience. The Gaslamp District is walkable too, but you'll need a good pair of shoes...not just for the clubs.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BeachvsMountains
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Pluses: Clean room; mini-fridge; GREAT location.
Minuses: Small rooms; not enough parking in their garage for their guests.

But the reason why it gets 1 point is the noisy AC, which kept me up all night. Imagine the Family Feud buzzer going off every couple minutes throughout the night. Apparently this affected all of the rooms and the staff blamed it on the unusual humidity. If they know exactly what the issues is, why won't they fix it?

I CAN NOT recommend this hotel. If you can't get a good night's sleep, all the amenities in the world won't make up for it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mickey T
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We enjoyed our four night stay here very much. Other reviewers alerted us that the rooms were small so we were not surprised at the lack of a "real" closet or the close quarters. We did not expect to spend much time in the room and the price was right. We stayed in an Argento room which was sleek and attractive. We were told that they are planning another renovation this winter.
The staff was very helpful and friendly. There is a cozy atrium in the hotel which connects to a good coffee shop. The location in Little Italy is ideal. We could walk to Balboa Park, the Gas Lamp district and the ferry to Coronado. We were only a few blocks from the water and did several pleasant runs along the waterfront. There are many restaurants to chose from in the neighborhood.
One of the highlights of our stay was the Saturday Farmers' Market which was set up just outside the hotel. The market is glorious and we spent several delightful hours strolling through it.
A word about the parking situation. The hotel has a limited number of spaces available for $12.00/day. We rented a car from Avis just three blocks away and they let us park free in their garage space. There are also several independent local car rental companies within walking distance with much better rates than the "big" guys.
We considered this a "find" and would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank max'smom
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I had a wonderful experience staying at La Pensione for about two weeks. I ended up there because it was close to where I was working and within my per diem for a hotel. It's a great location except for the fact that parking can be very tricky in that neighborhood. The staff at the hotel were incredibly friendly and accommodating, but I have to say my favorite of the staff is the Miss Penny, the lovely soft coated Wheaten who is present in the lobby all of the time. The rooms are small but it is a boutique hotel, so what do you expect? My room was a nice, clean, comfortable place to sleep, and I had a fridge. The housekeeping staff did an excellent job. It can get a bit noisy and if you're the type to want to sleep in an air conditioned room all the time, this might not be the place for you.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 11, 2012

First, the positives:
This basic, budget hotel is well-maintained - clean, rooms freshly painted, crisp, clean sheets and comfy beds.
The gym is tiny, but clean and has a window, so you can get fresh air if you want. Oh, one odd thing: you have to get a different key card to use the gym, and if they activate another key card while you have yours, yours will be deactivated, so you'll have to go back to the front desk. Not a great system, but less frustrating if you actually know about it.
The staff are super nice and helpful, and the neighborhood (Little Italy) has a lot of cute cafes and restaurants to offer - and every single one I went to was excellent. Really. I've never eaten so much.
Now, the not so good:
You'd think any noise here might come from the nearby bars or the airport (which is a 5 minute drive away), right? Wrong. It's the trains. There are tracks nearby - I can kick myself for not noticing this when I booked this hotel - and every time the trains go by, at all hours, the trains honk their horns (which sound like sirens, really). 1 am, 6 am, 4 pm - no rest to be had. Then there are the garbage trucks (bright and early!) or the other customers, who think it's totally normal to yell down the hall at each other at 8 am on a saturday morning. Dude. It's not. Parking is also an issue here, as the hotel has limited spots and a tight as heck lot (if you're renting a car, do yourself a favor and go for a small car - getting in and out can be tricky). It's $15 a night, and you should get a spot if you can, because the city of San Diego seems to think that no one wants to stay in Little Italy for more than 15 minutes - I can't think of another explanation for the flood of 15-minute spots.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs. They won't save you, but they might help!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo