“I just cannot afford to pay a charge for something I did not do”

Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center
Ranked #156 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Bangkok, Thailand
“I just cannot afford to pay a charge for something I did not do”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I stayed here for 6 nights. Two days after checked out, I was billed for an extra $50 for the room. I was told that the billing was for a broken picture. This picture was broken when I checked in. That's not fair!!!! “Absolutely horrific - DO NOT STAY HERE”

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Pongthorn N
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear guest., Your room was inspected during your stay while housekeeping was cleaning your room. On one of those days they did report the picture glass was broke and they cleaned up the glass. We assumed it to be an accident and charged your folio. We are confident that the picture was broke during your stay. Please call us and speak to Jessica in billing if you have any further questions. As you can see from our reviews, we have a high level of customer service and we would not charge a charge that we do not feel was accurate. Regards, Cris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2013

We stayed in this hotel in September the hotel is in the heart of the city we had booked into a hotel on the out skirts of the city the reception At the hotel transferred us with no trouble and were a great help this is a good place to stay the room was a good size

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Awesome! I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. I hope to see you again. All the best, Cris
Ottawa
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We stayed one night..mid week.. $90 plus parking for a very adequate queen room, breakfast. Hotel is downtown near all the restaurants and shopping. Quiet, clean, parking just around the corner. Would not hesitate to stay again. Great city, lots to do.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TedOttawa
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you very much for your business and I hope to see you again. Regards, Cris Vasquez
California
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I stayed at the Comfort Inn in the Gaslamp in October 2013. I don't think I'd return there with my wife or family, but it was perfect acceptable for just me.

Pros: Inexpensive, particularly for the Gaslamp. otel.com (not hotels.com) had the best rate when I booked. Great location if the Gaslamp is what you're after. Walking distance to the bay, the Hilton, and convention center. (A bit too far to walk to Seaport Village, unless you're ready for a bit of a hike.) Friendly, accommodating staff. Comfortable little sitting area in lobby - not something you often get with hotels of this class. Clean sheets, clean bathroom, newish carpet. Free bottle of water in room, free fruit in lobby, free continental breakfast, free internet.

Cons: Very small room smelling a bit of disinfectant. Room size was fine for just me, but two people would have been tripping over each other. Walls clearly painted over several times. Halls pretty beat up and kind of depressing. Super loud ice machine - get a room away from it! Parking not free ... but also not expensive - $12 per night. Parking area is not secured. At night some drunk tourist was taking a leak behind the dumpster in the parking lot ... but you're in the Gaslamp district, so classy stuff like that is to be expected.

If you're looking for alternatives, check the rates at the Hilton Bayfront. It was only about $30 per night more expensive when I was traveling, it's right on the water, and it's a short walk to the Gaslamp District. But their parking rates are outrageous, so watch out for that.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BillStickers_7
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you for your business. We appreciate it.
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed at this hotel while attending a meeting nearby. The location was terrific, just a couple interesting blocks from where I needed to be and the cost was even better. Easy walk to everything in the lively Gaslamp district. The room was small but comfortable and clean. A bonus is the view from the roof and airport transportation. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Chicago
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for six nights when we were in San Diego for a family event, and it was great! The quality of the breakfast, linens, wifi, TV selections, and common spaces was much higher than I usually see in hotels at this price point. The hotel is very clean, and the staff is pleasant and helpful. The A/C was cold and the shower was hot. The location is close to the convention center and right in the historic Gaslamp District. No complaints at all. We'll definitely stay there on our next visit to San Diego.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dr Linda, What a pleasure it was grabbing my morning coffee and reading your review. Thank you so much for your business. We try hard to make everyone's stay a good one and I am glad we meet your expectations. Cris Vasquez
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 5, 2013

The hotel does not seem attractive from the outside. However, the staff makes you feel totally at ease. They are helpful.

The room is small but very comfortable. I read about other hotels having a thin wall but this hotel is definitely not on the list. I enjoy it so much just lie in bed on my second day.

Breakfast is good value. There is only one staff member running the buffet but she is efficient.
I will stay in this hotel again because the location is perfect. So central.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Felix671
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
We couldn't ask for a nicer review. It makes me proud of the staff when I hear such great things about the service. We look forward to being your home away from home. All the best, Cris Vasquez