“OK place”

Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center
Ranked #161 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The location is what makes it worth to stay there.
The room is very simple, with a fridge and window A/C that was a bit loud.
Continental breakfast was simple, but good enough, with bagels, waffles, yogurt, coffee, etc.. Nothing extraordinary, but OK.
Staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Thank you very much for your business. We appreciate it. Please book directly with the hotel to get best rates. We have a link to our hotel on this page. All the best, Cris Vasquez

There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I arrived in San Diego on Thursday afternoon, 1/17/13, to attend a seminar being held by some of my business associates at a Gaslamp Quarter conference center over the weekend. I found the room and the facility to meet my needs, and was pleased enough with the accommodations. However, after having trouble falling asleep on Saturday night, I was awakened at 5am to a banging at my door. Someone had a key to my room, had opened the door, and was banging it repeatedly against the security catch (I had not used the deadbolt). By the time I had jumped from bed and gotten to the door, this person had reached through the small opening, and was attempting to defeat the security catch. I then grabbed the person's hand and bent it backward across the edge of the door. The man cried out in pain, withdrew his hand, and I closed and bolted the door. I immediately called the Front Desk, and the staff member there assured me that it was not an employee, and that he would look into it. Being very short on rest, and having an important presentation to make later that morning, I attempted to go back to sleep for a while. Unable to do so, I finally got up and started my day, much earlier than originally planned.

When I arrived at the Front Desk at approximately 6 am, I questioned the clerk there about the incident. The clerk immediately apologized, and stated that it was his fault that the man (described by him as a 'drunken Mexican guy') had appeared at my door, but then blamed me for the incident, saying that I should have bolted the door in the first place.

While I admit that perhaps I should have bolted the door, this does not absolve the clerk from his basic responsibility for ensuring that the person to whom he was giving a spare key card was, indeed, a rightful occupant of the room. This is an absolute minimum security protocol, and simply was not followed. Fortunately for all involved, I had flipped over the security catch. If I had not done so, and this man had actually entered my room while I was sleeping, there was a very good possibility that he would have been, at the least, very seriously injured.

I found that while the clerk seemed somewhat apologetic, his dismissive attitude and complete willingness to place a significant portion of blame on my shoulders both disturbing and concerning. Further, I found his complete failure to (or refer me to someone who could) offer any sort of remedy to the issue, almost equally worrisome. The complete failure of the staff to offer me a minimum of safety and security was totally inexcusable.

After writing to the hotel (and when their response was not acceptable, their parent corporation), I was finally offered an acceptable resolution to the security issue, and management says they have fully addressed the problem.

I rated this place as 'average' because it offered a good price and (although some of the features are oddly configured) a decent room in a great area for the price, and even has a decent breakfast included. I would give them a another try (just make sure to turn the deadbolt!).

Room Tip: Slow elevator... rooms facing the courtyard have less street noise. THIS PLACE HAS NO POOL OR HOT T...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank RKThompson
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Thank you for you review. I want to apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I am fully aware of the incident and I assure you that this was a one time incident, and procedures are in place to avoid these situations. I appreciate the nice things you say as well. We are in the process of a major renovation and our hotel is the best value in the Gaslamp Quarter. Please feel free to contact me directly the next time you visit San Diego. Best, Cris Vasquez

Reviewed January 19, 2013

This hotel is within several easy blocks from the Convention Center, and among the least expensive. The staff was very courteous. The breakfast was excellent. The rooms were being renovated. We stayed in a room with a king size bed, plus we asked for a rollaway bed, for 3 people in the room. The rollaway allowed the mattress to sink down in the middle and it was impossible to sleep, so we laid the mattress on the floor, and had the frame taken out. We had a microwave and refrigerator. The window air-conditioner is not attractive, and the floor board heater as well, and difficult to keep the room at a constant temperature. We had a window that opened, which helped. There is a ventilator in the bathroom which switches on when you switch the light on, and that's a great idea. However, the vents were filled with dirt, and perhaps that was why the moisture was not being ventilated out efficiently. That's a small price to pay for the overall cost, location, and friendliness of this place. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Y R
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Thank you for the review. We take great pride in the cleanliness of our hotel. I will go on "vent patrol" this week and get to the bottom of it :) Thanks again for your review and remember to book direct for best pricing and room type availability. All the best, Cris Vasquez

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Stayed here for one night going back home to the airport early AM. We were very pleased with our room, great king size bed, windows opened, wall TV and channel options terrific, easy walk to all downtown restaurants and short taxi ride to airport. Will stay again for a few nights next time and enjoy more of downtown San Diego. Great hotel with a reasonable rate!

Room Tip: Rooms on back side probably less noise if you have the window open!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Thank you for a very nice review. We appreciate your business. Remember, booking directly with the hotel will give you best rates and more room choices!

Reviewed November 25, 2012

The Comfort Inn gave extremely good value for money. Breakfast was included, internet was free and the room came with a fridge and microwave. So if you are a budget traveler and want to stay in a happening part of the town, this is the place to go.

On the downside, the sink was outside the bathroom. This is ok for a single person, but becomes problematic when there are more than one person. The bathroom was also rather old looking (there were renovations during my time. Not sure if they are doing the bathrooms), and the lock was tight. The air condition was window mounted and kind of loud. Breakfast was average, but good enough for getting something.

I wouldn't recommend this for business travel, but it is a good budget location.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Thank you for your kind review. We pride ourselves on being the best value in the downtown area. It's true, we are in the process of a renovation. However, we have always taken pride in offering clean, well maintained facilities at a great price. Did you know that maid carts, light switches and remotes are the dirtiest objects in a hotel? We know it is and every housekeeper disinfects everything in the rooms and maid carts daily with lysol disinfectant spray. We are mad about cleanliness! Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Nice location. Everything is close. The transportation system is very good. The hotel is small and friendly. The room is a bit small, but there is everything there - microwave, fridge, hair dryer, coffee machine. Breakfast is o'k. They always have hot breakfast too- eggs and sausage. Clean rooms, shuttle from the airport.

Room Tip: No swim pool. I think the rooms are the same, doesn't matter actually.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank elenpower1
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Thank you for your kind review. It is so nice to see so many senior reviewers say nice things about our hotel. We really appreciate you. Please remember to book directly with the hotel for best rates. Yours truly, Cris

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Booked for a major congress very late. The Comfort in is good value with free Wi-Fi and a breakfast included. Close to the local resaurants and within easy walking distance of the conference centre & local shops, etc. My room though small was spotless and well equiped. In addition the hotel is being upgraded so should get even better.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Very nice review. You are an all star Tripadvisor reviewer so your positive review of our hotel really means a lot. We hope to see you again in the future. Remember when booking, you can always get a selection of room types as well as the best pricing by booking at our website. There is a link to the hotel website on our tripadvisor page. Thank you again for such a great review. Best,Cris Vasquez