“It was an experience”

Carole's Bed & Breakfast Inn
Ranked #11 of 33 San Diego B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The room itself was nice. The bed was firm, but comfortable. I felt like I was in my own house which was nice. Carole and Michael were both very nice. Breakfasts were pretty good. Definitely a step up from an hotel, but nothing to write home about. Location was great. Very close to Balboa Park and easy access to the freeways to get in and out of the city. The neighborhood is completely residential, so you kind of feel like you are crashing at your grandma's house rather than staying somewhere surrounded by "stuff" if that makes sense. That's not positive or negative, just an observation.

I have to say at times we felt a little strange or things just seemed a little strange here. Each morning several men (different faces each morning) would just stroll in and grab coffee and head out. Friends? Family? not really sure, but it was a little odd. Usually at a B&B it's just the guests and the owners, so this was new to me. I almost felt like were putting them out a little by being at their house when they seemed to have something else going on. Also, one night we asked to have the hot tub turned on around 8pm (it is only heated upon request). Carole said "no" that it was too late for the neighbors - we probably would have been in and out by 10pm. not the end of the world, but I found this odd. So we quietly swam in the pool instead, but when we got out we both smelled very strange. kind of baby diaper-ish. It's a saltwater pool. Maybe this is normal? Anyway, I didn't swim in it again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mark P

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We had a very pleasant stay at Carole's Bed and Breakfast Inn. She is lovely, helpful and delightful to talk with but not intrusive. The Inn is located in a beautiful part of San Diego that is great for walking. There are a number of excellent restaurants within walking distance. We hope to go back soon.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robert Morris D
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Carole's Bed and Breakfast, located in the North Park section of San Diego is a real "find". In fact I have stayed at Carole's twice . I found Carole's has all necessary ingredients to provide a comfortable stay. My room was quiet, spotlessly clean and included several thick towels and a comfy bed. There are quiet places to sit outside and enjoy the San Diego weather. Balboa Park is a few blocks down the road, where every day I was able to enjoy an invigorating morning walk. The many attractions in Balboa such as museums and the Zoo are easily accessible, not to mention the interesting variety of restaurants in the nearby center of North Park.

Carole has been a fixture in the neighborhood for decades. She still presides as the friendly and gracious hostess. Her son, Michael O'Brien, the proprietor now , whips up delicious breakfasts for the guests. I highly recommend this Band B and will definitely return bringing other family members.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cltrip
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed at Carole's bed and breakfast during the first week of January. The studio was perfect for us - a spacious room with a king-sized bed, couch, chairs, coffee table in a sitting area, and a small kitchen area. When we arrived our host Carole made us feel comfortable and welcome. We made a special request and it was taken care of when we returned from dinner. Her son Michael is the chef at breakfast and made sure we didn't go away hungry - Belgian waffles with strawberries and whipped cream. It is a short drive from Balboa Park and you can walk to neighborhood restaurants. The kitchen area was equipped with a microwave and refrigerator. In the morning outside our door, Michael had added three beautiful seashells to my small collection of shells. We liked it so much, that we hope we can come again.

Room Tip: Ask for a studio across the street from the main house.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stayed at Carole's Bed & Breakfast Inn for a month and I liked it very much. It is well located, near downtown, Balboa Park and Balboa Zoo. The crew is just amazing, they are gentle, relaxed and very nice. The place is clean and breakfast is good. It's not pricy at all and I would have no doubt of staying there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Alejandra M
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I need to put in a plug for the breakfasts at Carole's - amazing! Her son Michael is an artist of breakfasts. I've never had such tasty, plentiful breakfasts anywhere I've stayed, and I'm a seasoned traveler. Michael is a breakfast chef extraordinaire, whose creations are as pleasing to the eye as they are to the palate. Bravo Michael!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank James H
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I booked two rooms for four adults with a few days' notice at Carole's, the only inn available since Balboa Park was crowded for an event that weekend. Carole's place is a quaint, homely place in a quiet neighborhood in North Park. It reminds me of the wonderful, welcoming Last Homely House described by Tolkien. In many ways, Carole made us feel more like we were visiting a homely grandmother than staying at a hotel, which we loved.

In the morning, Carole's son Michael provides an excellent breakfast with fresh fruit, juice, coffee, eggs, and biscuit. The innkeepers truly live the laid-back style of sunny, coastal Southern California that people all over the world come looking for.

Room Tip: The downstairs rooms are good for families or good friends (2-4 adults) that have no problem sharing...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple