“Best place in San Diego”

The Inn at Sunset Cliffs
Ranked #148 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
“Best place in San Diego”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

This place is right on the cliff, It has amazing views, I have been travelling to the west coast for years and tried multiple places that advertise ocean views. There is nothing like this place that is on the Ocean, there is nothing that separate the hotel from the ocean, no street, no beach, no nothing, you will be right on the cliff, literally amazing

Room Tip: all rooms are great, the presidential suite is worth every penny
3 Thank wissam b

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
California
Reviewed June 25, 2014

This location has great reviews, so my expectations were pretty high. My sister and I were in San Diego from LA for a weekend of fun and we loved the idea of staying in a place with 2 seperate bedrooms plus a small living area.
Unfortunately, my experience with this inn was not a great one. I'll start with the good:
We got there at noon and were able to check-in right away. There was no "oh, your room won't be ready until the check-in time of 3pm" that you so often hear. The room had ocean views from almost every window which was lovely. There were indeed 2 separate bedrooms and a separate living space which was nice. The bathroom was very small but clean. They have a grill you can use, a heated pool and very pretty flowers everywhere. FYI: with the pool, it's not like there's anywhere to lay out; there aren't any lounge chairs in the pool area- you're going there to be in the water and that's it. Also, it should be known that there isn't any access to get down to the beach. It's a good location, overlooking the cliffs and close to the beach town.

The bad: A huge problem is that the side we were on faced the inn next door. So, our bedroom windows also had a view of the back balconies of this inn next door. Which meant, if there were people staying there partying all night long...you were going to be up all night too b/c even with the windows closed you can hear everything. We couldn't even leave our windows open to listen to the ocean; all we heard was loud music and screaming, talking, laughing until 3 am. These people were literally on their back balcony area until 3am and then they started up again at 7 am. And, it happened both nights we stayed there.
Now, let's be clear: this is technically not the fault of the Inn at Sunset Cliffs. Also, this probably doesn't happen often (or, does it?). But just be aware: if you are staying here, your room might overlook the back of another room at another inn and you may be subjected to loud, obnoxious neighbors.
A problem that they CAN fix: the bed in the smaller bedroom was horrid. Super uncomfortable and I could feel every spring. In all honesty, I may have been more comfortable just sleeping on the floor. Just as hard but at least no springs. We did tell the front desk about this but they didn't have any mattress pads. They offered to give us another room but my sister said she would just switch with me and take the crappy bed for the second night.
So, if it weren't for a very uncomfortable bed and 2 sleepless nights, I might be able to give this place a better review. It has a neat atmosphere but I definitely wouldn't go so far as to say that it's the best place I've ever stayed. However, I would much rather stay here in this sleepy little beach town then in the heart of everything downtown. It only took us 15 minutes to get to Coronado Beach and the Gaslamp! Feel free to send me a message with any questions!
Oh and for the record, when we checked out we were given a discount b/c of the uncomfortable mattress...that's a class act.

Room Tip: Ask for the side that does NOT face the inn next door.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank CaliforniaMy2cents
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 24, 2014

WOW, that's all that comes to my mind about my stay at Sunset Cliffs, what an amazing place, so clean and cozy, The staff is very friendly and accommodating, the sunset is GORGEOUS!!!!! This hotel was by far the one I have ever stayed in. Worth every penny!

Room Tip: The presidential suite has an ocean view which is beautiful!!!!
Green Features: Very professional yet friendly staff, always have a smile on their face, clean and cozy place, the pool was very clean and the water is pretty warm. there was always clean towels available for use.
3 Thank Ella S
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed June 24, 2014

I have stayed here a few times, and I will definitely come back . I think it is the best hotel in San Diego. The location is great, the cliffs make this area very secluded, and although you are within minutes from the city, you feel like you are miles away. The staff is outstanding, the rooms are clean and spacious. I would recommend this hotel to anyone coming Southern CA.

Room Tip: The double suite with kitchen is great when you travel with family
2 Thank fernando f
Prineville, Oregon
Reviewed June 23, 2014

We have been to San Diego many times. This was our first time at The Inn at Sunset Cliffs. It was by far and away the best hotel we have ever stayed in. The rooms are very nice, the service is perfect and I can think of no other place that has a better view of the ocean. If we would have had the time, we would have stayed longer. Keep in mind that you are less than 15 yards from the ocean. This is a place we gladly give a 5-star rating too.

Room Tip: We were fortunate to stay in the "presidential suite," and experience that will last for a...
Green Features: We were particularly pleased that this hotel is extremely friendly to the environment.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gene H
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 23, 2014

We are spending our vacation, again, this year at the Inn. We love it there so much we would'nt even consider going anywhere else. We are even extending our stay another 2 weeks this year. It's become a family tradition. We consider Gavin and all the staff part of our family. Can't wait to get there in July. Fabulous place to vacation!!!

Room Tip: We love the bottom 1 bedroom with kitchen, you can hear the ocean from that room too!
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank Don W
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 23, 2014

I didn't know about this place until I started looking for wedding venues and let me say I am so glad I found it! I have stayed here a couple times in preparation for my wedding there next spring and it was one of the most unique and amazing hotels I have ever stayed in. Having lived in San Diego almost my entire life I can assure you this is by far the best value you will ever find for its location and customer service. I'm a person who appreciates details, and in my mind the one feature that set my experience over the top were the dual shower heads in the nicely upgraded bathroom. You will absolutely not regret staying here... unless you don't like the ocean.

Room Tip: The 1 and 2 br suites are converted apartments with full kitchens and comfortably sleep up to 6.
Green Features: Crazy environmentally conscious. They set a great example for the rest of the hospitality industry.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends