The Inn at Sunset Cliffs
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Ocean Villa Inn(San Diego)
  • Pool
Hotel Aqua Mar(San Diego)
View Hotel
Hotel Point Loma(San Diego)
Dolphin Motel(San Diego)
View Hotel
All reviewsocean beachpresidential suitesound of the waveswedding venueliving roomsmall hotelbottom floorhotel in san diegoenjoyed my staymini fridgecoffee makerobginapoolsidesurfersretreatblinds
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I need to write this because of the price we paid for what we got here. Yes, I was so impressed with the lovely, charming landscaping and cute touches to the grounds here. As well as the lounge chairs to watch the ocean and birds right in front of you. It is an old set of buildings and they have done a great job on the grounds.
But the room....and the price we paid for it. I knew that I needed to let others know. For close to 250 dollars we got a one bedroom "suite" on the bottom floor back toward the beginning of the U shaped building with no view of the ocean. The room had a bad smell to it, which open windows only helped so much with, rust on much of the metal pieces, ripped lamp shades, and a toilet that barely flushed, and once overflowed. Not what I want for that kind of money. Some of the already old furniture was damaged. The TV channels were limited, and the screen was small. We woke up to a loud crying toddler and mom one morning; yes the walls are thin. Even that would have been OK if I wasn't in a tacky smelly...very expensive room.
My husband booked the room, not requesting a kitchenette, but the woman he spoke with convinced him that we would be happy with it. I just could not see how they could charge that much for this kind of room.
The hospitality could not have been better, everyone we met was sweet and helpful to us. But we could not get past the awful dark room.
So just know that you will enjoy your time here as long as you stay outside. Maybe there are other rooms that have been remodeled. If so, ask for them. It is a beautiful area to be in, but I regret paying a hotel price for a Motel 5 room.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Wine-country-chick
InnatSunsetCliffs, Manager at The Inn at Sunset Cliffs, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your feedback. Our apologizes go out to you and your guest. We are sorry you did not enjoy the room you were assigned. Remodels have continuously been taking place since new management several years ago. Rust is our worst enemy as we are directly on the ocean. The current remodeled rooms have no rust and I ensure it will not be coming back. I invite you back to our hotel to enjoy one of our recently remodeled rooms. Glad to hear you enjoyed the grounds during the stay.

Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

I just returned home from an amazing weekending here for a wedding.
Parking: not much for parking, but to be expected in SD area.
Room: The room was very clean and well stocked with everything that we needed. A little on the small side, but spent so much time outside so didn't bother me. (They do offer bigger rooms)
Hospitality: the staff was very attentive and friendly. Anything that we needed they made sure to get it for us.
The Wedding: this wedding couldn't have gone any smoother. Everything was taken care of by the hotel event coordinator in a friendly, professional way. I would defiantly recommend this hotel for a wedding venue or just a weekend away. Can't wait for our next visit here.

Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 25, 2014

The Inn at Sunset Cliffs offered an amazing experience for our event over the past weekend! The wedding couldn't have turned out any better! The staff was extremely helpful and very patient with all of the guests. Room service was great and the hotel was very clean in every room I saw, which was more than half of the rooms in the hotel! The size of the rooms was another aspect that made it a great place to hold the event... there was more than enough room for all 8 bridesmaids and the bride... and the mother of the bride to get ready! There were a lot of great spots on the property to take pictures! The courtyard... the cliffs... the lower deck! Overall, the entire weekend was as stress-free as a wedding could be due to the helpful staff and the natural beauty of the Inn at Sunset Cliffs! I would definitely recommend it for both a wedding and a regular vacation!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Chalsey
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I traveled here with my boyfriend and 2 younger siblings (18 and 16). You cannot beat the price! There were 2 bedrooms and a pullout sofa, which was plenty of room for the 4 of us. There is a living room space, and lots of windows to open to feel the wonderful weather! The grounds are beautiful, and the scenery is breathtaking! The cliffs is a short drive, or walk, and is worth the trip to see the shoreline. It is a few miles to the beach and many of the downtown areas. We did rent a car, but parking was very limited; so we didn't want to lose our spot. We all love walking, so it was easier and more enjoyable. Overall, we had an amazing experience here and would definitely visit again!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank nikki126
Reviewed February 13, 2014

The inn at sunset cliffs was the perfect hotel for my girlfriend and I over her birthday weekend. As soon as you step foot in the courtyard you can hear the sound of the waves crashing against the cliffs where the hotel is located. We planned on getting out of the hotel to check out ocean beach as much as we could but we found ourselves wanting to make food in the kitchen in our room (which was stocked with new, clean utensils for all different kinds of cooking) and eat down on the lower terrace and enjoy the beautiful scenery right there at the hotel. The staff were all very friendly and for the price we were blown away with the quality of our stay. I'll definitely be returning to this spot.

• Stayed: January 2014