“Great beachfront location”

The Inn at Sunset Cliffs
Ranked #145 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed March 31, 2013

My wife, daughter and I recently spent 2 days at the Inn at Sunset Cliffs. The 2 bedroom room was clean although not luxurious by no means. You are provided with a mini fridge, coffemaker, free wifi and a small wall heater/AC unit (Which was not needed), but the best amenity is the location. The Pacific Ocean waves lap up right outside your window. Its not called Sunset Cliffs for nothing. There's an area with chairs, tables and couches for viewing the ocean and sunsets.

Room Tip: Free parking.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed here about 20 years ago when it was clean but run down but the position on the edge of the cliffs at San Diego is amazing with breath taking views. We returned in September last year and the new owner has done miracles with the internals of the rooms leaving the outside as it was except for decorating it. The staff were very friendly and helpful and because they had to do some emergency work under our room during the day we were not charged for that night and were given the following night at half price. We stayed in the Garvie Suite on the second floor overlooking the sea and we both had a bath watching the sunset. If you have to sell a grandchild and stay here you won't regret it. You can always get another grandchild but you might not get another chance to stay here Grumpy

Room Tip: Go the extra mile and book the Garvie Suite
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank grumpy76
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stumbled upon this little hotel while searching for a weekend getaway in the San Diego area. Reading through all of the reviews, it seemed too good to be true (especially for the price) but after staying here, I can assure you it's every bit as great as the reviews say.

The location in Ocean Beach was ideal for us, the hotel itself is gorgeous on the outside with roses growing in the courtyard, a lovely little pool & a huge deck overlooking the water.
The room we stayed in was one of the standard rooms, quaint but very nice, well kept, and included some nice personal touches such as a hand written welcome note.

Staff was friendly but rarely seen unless we had a question or needed something. (just the way I like it)

We will definitely stay here again and have even talked about having our wedding at Inn at Sunset Cliffs!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SarizonaHey
Reviewed March 5, 2013

This was by far the best beach hotel I have ever stayed at. I have done my fair share of traveling to other countries and have stayed at some of the best beach location hotels and still rate this hotel to be the best of them all. You can't beat the friendly staff and the cute little hotel mascot dog to greet you as you check in. This hotel has impeccable decor, and lavish sunsets that can't be beat. I have stayed at this hotel a couple of times now and can't wait to come back! I have had the opportunity to spend the night in the presidential suite with my love as well as a one bedroom suite. I have had my family stay at this hotel as well and would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to visit San Diego or a local who just wants a little get away from everyday life. I recently learned that they hold weddings at this hotel and can't imagine why anyone would want to get married anywhere else. The set up of the ceremony right over the water is so romantic and probably the best place anyone could every say their vows to the love of their life. Don't waste your time trying to decide which hotel to stay at in San Diego..... I promise you this hotel will over exceed any of your expectations and just like me you won't be able to wait to come back here to this little gem!!!

Room Tip: treat yourself to the presidential suite I promise you will experience nothing else like it
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tootie13112
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We are locals to San Diego and decided we wanted to stay at a beachfront hotel for the weekend. This hotel is not luxury - but it is comfortable and clean. You can tell that they have made recent updates and the rooms have everything you need. The bathroom is really nice (although no bathtub, only a shower). They also have a microwave and fridge, which I love so you can bring home leftovers! In the courtyard is a small but clean pool and some nice chairs/tables to view the beach. You can walk down the steps to where you are very close to the beach, close enough that the waves actually splash up onto the deck. It is such a beautiful view with the waves crashing on the rocks. In fact, we were able to open our window at night and see and hear the waves at night - it was very relaxing and just great.

I also like that this hotel is supportive of locals. They have discounts to local restaurants and a spa. It is in close walking distance of some nice places to eat and a great trail where you can walk along the water and cliffs. I know of a lot of people who stay in downtown or at other fancy places when they come to San Diego, but if you truly want to get a true San Diego local experience, this is definitely the place to go!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank nikki224
Reviewed February 14, 2013

stayed here for 2 nights in february, 2013. staff very accomodating (let me check in early AND gave me the 10% discount for locals) and friendly, rooms are clean and fresh. coffee maker, mini fridge and microwave in room very handy. firm bed that was noisy though....every time i moved in the night, it squeeked loudly...
interesting shower with a shower head on opposing walls. great view of the ocean. felt very safe and secure. would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank SanDiegoTravelguy
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife loves the ocean and it is hard to find a hotel where you can see the waves and hear them crash on the rocks. Sunset was fabulous. It was really a joy to watch her face when she saw this place

Yes, a little quaint but superb service, very clean and recently remodeled. The best thing I can say for this place is that we will be back. Again and again....

Room Tip: Ask for room closer to the ocean, then watch out your feet don't get wet.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family