“Enjoyed my stay there”

The Inn at Sunset Cliffs
Ranked #138 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed November 22, 2007

I traveled here with another couple and rented out the two bedroom suite with the kitchen. While the cleaning service was a bit lagging, we found the place very comfortable and enjoyed all the amenities (pool, view, outside firepit, etc.). The only drag was that the AC was not powerful enough to keep us cool - we ended up traveling to San Diego during their worst heat wave of the year and had trouble getting a good nights rest due to the heat.

The inn is located near the zoo and Seaworld and I would highly recommend it to a family looking for a moderately priced place with a great view. There is only street-side parking at the place, but I did not find parking hard to find during my 4 day stay.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank Psyr
There are newer reviews for The Inn at Sunset Cliffs

Reviewed October 26, 2007

We just returned from a stay in a King Studio Suite and I have really mixed feelings about the stay. The room was clean and spacious with an incredible view, yet the bedding was worn and the air conditioner/heater didn't work. Luckily, the temperature was moderate and we were able to do without. When we went to checkout othe next morning, no one was in the office, so we rang the buzzer as instructed and called the number listed, but no one ever answered.

So, overall I feel it is overpriced, but where else can you get a view like that? Just be aware you are paying mostly for the location and the accomodations are average and you'll be fine.

• Stayed: October 2007
4  Thank Obi
Reviewed August 24, 2007

Wowee! Romantic couples read this! We went here on our delayed honeymoon. Not for business or families.
Beautiful location on the cliffs!
Relaxing...,wonderful service. Cute pool in the middle of hotel. The BEST hotel bedding ever! All rooms are good no need to specify, maybe ground floor better?. I ran out of money in my account and they were reallly cool and I transferred funds from the front desk computer (we were at the end of holiday!). It is a place to think and reflect, pure authentic experience- the gorgeous view is all you need.

Snug as a bug in a rug.

Stayed: July 2006
3  Thank beantherePerth
Reviewed August 17, 2007

My wife and I had a wonderful stay. Our room faced the ocean. Two sets of double doors open onto the ocean. It was romantic and peaceful. We saw the most beautiful sunsets though the glass window above the spa tub. The staff were cheerful and nice. We will stay at this hotel again when we visit OB in San Diego.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank familler
Reviewed July 17, 2007

I had heard about the Inn through Trip Advisor and fell in love with it! My boyfriend and I booked a weekend at the end of June. We stayed in the King Suite. We got there a little early on Friday, and they let us go in before check-in time. The pool is a little smaller than it looks in the virtual tour, but it's okay. The view is spectacular from the deck or from our window in the King Suite. I highly recommend this room. It's sort of small, but worth it, if it's just a couple. The guests at the Inn were all ages. On Saturday and Sunday they made waffles and they had bagels and muffins. Really good waffles! Everyone was very nice. The only thing was that the Internet was down that weekend, so I wasn't able to use the computer, but it was no problem. In walking distance is a convenience store and gas station. If you want to go for a longer walk, you can reach Ocean Beach and shops. When we got there, we went to Hodad's, which had great hamburgers. Overall, love this hotel a lot! Kind of pricey, but would come back in a second. We are thinking about making this a yearly ritual to go to San Diego and stay at this hotel!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
15  Thank pink1783
Reviewed July 5, 2007

I hate to write a bad review because this hotel really tries hard. However I must be honest to my fellow travelers who depend on the facts. Sure the view is great and weekend breakfast was decent (fresh, homemade waffles, and Costco muffins, croissants and bagels, plus some fruit), but the bed linens were a bit shabby, the mattress uncomfortable, and could have used some ceiling fans. The worst was the bathroom. It was very small with no counter top to lay out your toiletries (although there was a cupboard over the toilet with some exterior shelves), plus the water pressure was so strong that it stung the body. Adjusting it to less pressure meant cold water (the warmer, the stronger). Also the shower head went from gushing to needle-like. Bad if you get sunburn.

The staff was very pleasant. And the location was great for La Jolla and Old Town. Parking was free because you park on the side street in front of their garage doors.

All in all, I probably wouldn't stay here again. I prefered the Embassy Suites San Diego Downtown for room quality (although it was $70 more a night plus $24 parking),

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank cressydoodles
Reviewed June 26, 2007

This is a wonderful gem of a hotel. More of a "motel" in some ways (not the fanciest rooms ever, our bathtub didn't have a stopper and one never was found, the pool mysteriously closed after an inspection)... but the view is amazing! Right on the ocean, the traffic dies down at night and you can fall asleep to the sound of the waves.
Honestly if this hotel were in any other location, it wouldn't be such a gem, but right on the beach makes it a 9+! Very mellow and relaxed atmosphere. We stayed with our 2 year old and didn't feel that we were annoying any of the other guests at the hotel. At the same time, I saw kids around but didn't hear them so if you are child-less, don't let that put you off.
Very nice staff (who didn't always accomodate our needs but were nice enough), good morning coffee, priceless views, great location (close to everything, but felt miles away)... I'd definitely stay here again.
As has been mentioned, the kitchenette is a bonus as there really is not too much within walking distance foodwise. Also, the bagel cafe across the street is DISGUSTING so avoid anything there. Better off at the gas station, or bring your own goodies! There was a fridge and micro.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business