“Spectacular!”

The Inn at Sunset Cliffs
Ranked #138 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Where to start....ok, got it! The view is AMAZING, the staff is FRIENDLY, the location is CONVENIENT, the town of Ocean Beach is FUN and FUNKY, the flowers at the hotel are SPECTACULAR, the hotel room is SPOTLESS, and the pool is REFRESHING! Being from Phoenix, I've been to San Diego a million times, but we always stay at Mission Beach, Pacific Beach or La Jolla. This was our first time to OB and our first stay at the Inn at Sunset Cliffs and now i'm hooked! I can't imagine going back to the other side now that we've discovered this amazing Inn! Go explore Point Loma...cool tide pools and awesome views! For dinner we loved Nicks for seafood (and the pulled pork sandwich is very good too) and Ortegas for Mexican food. Ortegas is a little restaurant with only 5 booths so go early or b prepared to wait. We went at 5 pm on a Saturday and got right in no problem.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AKtoAZ
There are newer reviews for The Inn at Sunset Cliffs

Reviewed April 2, 2011

As an extended family (grandparents, parents, and two girls, 6 and 9) we booked two rooms for three nights. The rooms are two bedroom suites with a sitting room and with refrigerators and microwaves. We've stayed at this property twice previously, although many years ago. The inn is literally on the edge of the Pacific coast with surf breaking on Sunset Cliffs not more than 10 feet past the end of a patio. The girls loved watching the surf, observing the effects of the changing tides, and the sea lion that was sunning itself on a large rock until the breaking waves urged it off. The swimming pool was nicely heated. The location, while on the edge of the coast, is convenient to Sea World (about 2-3 miles), the airport (about 3 miles), Point Loma, the harbor area, Balboa Park, etc. The girls summed up their visit this way, "We love this hotel!" (We all did, too.)Everything was clean, worked well, and the relaxing atmosphere was excellent. There is also a public transit bus stop directly across the street from the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Easyflyer
Reviewed March 19, 2011

We attended a wedding at the property next door, so we wanted to be close. We rented the 2 bedroom suite for my husband and I, and my sister and her husband. The room was nice and " beachy". Not like a typical, cookie-cutter room from a hotel chain. There was a flat screen on the wall in the living area and the bathroom was very clean and new. The only downside were the beds. They weren't the most comfortable and the bedding could use some updating. But the bedding was clean, so it didn't bother me so much.

The service at the hotel was great! The staff were all so pleasant and easy going. They also let us check in a little early since we were there and our room was ready. I also appreciated the coffee that was set up in the lobby in the mornings.

Now, for the best part, the location!! What a little treasure, that this hotel is right on the beach!! We opened the windows and listened to the waves crash every night! It was so relaxing. Now be aware, that this IS oceanfront property, but it's cliffs, not beach sand. Don't expect to walk out of the hotel onto a sandy beach and lay out. If that is what you want, there's a beach, with access, a few blocks down. For us, this was not a problem at all. In fact, it was better because you aren't dealing with all the hustle and bustle from the noisy people at the beach, right outside your bedroom door. We loved the location and the quaint town that is Ocean Beach! What a great change from chain hotels and chain restaurants. I encourage you to visit and support the local businesses. Good news is, all the great attractions that San Diego has to offer, is still very conveniently located just minutes away from The Inn at Sunset Cliffs. We just wish that we could have brought our dog, she would have loved it!! ( Dogs aren't allowed in the rooms, but are allowed on the property. You will see people with their dogs everywhere!)

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dmbsoul
Reviewed March 15, 2011

My family and I LOVE the Inn especially Gavin, Liz and Alex, they are considered part of the family. I was married there Aug 2009 and my son will be married there this Sept 2011. The veiws are amazing, my husband & I feel like it's our home away from home. We always spend 2 to 3 wks there vacationing with family and friends coming and going, just like having our own place in SD. ALL of the staff is fabulous. Rooms are always clean. We would never go anywhere else in SD.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dragonfly725
Reviewed March 14, 2011

As I have been reading past reviews, it makes me wonder why anyone would ever give this place a bad review. January 2011 was my 10th stay at the Inn, and I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else in San Diego. Gavin, Liz and the other members of the management team are probably the most professional and courteous staff I have seen at a hotel. The view from the lower terrace is unbelievable, and I dare someone to say they have a better view of the sunset. There is a little private beach about a block away, plenty of room for playing football or just relaxing. I would definitely suggest renting a beach cruiser, its a great ride (approx 1 mile) to Newport Ave. There they have a bunch of little shops and my favorite fish taco place, South Beach Grill!! There is some villas right next door where they have weddings just about every weekend. You won't even notice them unless you walk over there. I love this place and can't wait to get married there in September!!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank medicpatrick
Reviewed February 17, 2011

WE arrived in a hurry to get to an event. I pulled back the bedspread and there was BLACK HAIR on the sheets.later I found some more hair on the living room table. Chris, the staff member, offered to move us to a 2brd if we paid more??? It wasn't our fault their cleaning help screwed up..why should we pay more?????? Finally he offered clean sheets. He tried to hand them to us to put on but we shook our head and he put them on. Alex later fixed the remote so I guess some of them can get it right..
Not a good place for light sleepers..Wedding next door was noisy on Friday unitl 2am..SAturday they were all tired so they quit at 11pm. Bathrooms redone, new beds are needed..Staff cleaned our breakfast dishes but had a big sign for "tips please"..Need better training and management..Good location..GREAT VIEWS..

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank WorldTraveler49117
InnatSunsetCliffs, Manager at The Inn at Sunset Cliffs, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2011

The presents of one hair on one sheet does not determine the cleanliness of the entire suite. As for noise issues. We walk the property hourly, 24 hours a day. If there is something we do not hear or see that may be disturbing our guest, we have 24 hour staff that will handle the issue immediately if notified. There is a small tip envelope personalized by each housekeeper that is 3x4 inches on the desk away from your attention. The management team has been here for three plus years. We continue to progress and will serve our guest to best of our ability.

Reviewed December 6, 2010

This is the second time I've stayed at the Inn at Sunset Cliffs, and it definitely won't be my last! The location is the best in the area. Breathtaking views and peaceful solitude. My first night was in the King Studio. Nothing better than waking up to the sound AND view of crashing waves. The 2nd occassion, I stayed in the1 bedroom Kitchen Suite and enjoyed it just the same. This time, I fell asleep to the sound of the courtyard fountain. The rooms were always exceptionally clean, linens extremely soft, and decor exceptionally quaint. The double headed showers were a personal favorite of mine! The courtyard was full of beautiful flowers that added a nice finishing touch to the whole experience :)

• Stayed: December 2010