DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley
GreenLeadersBronze level
Highland, United States
“2-day stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

I was disappointed not being able to use my AAA discount because I didn't ask for it at the tiem of check-in. The room was very clean but the bed was little uncomfortable. Great location with the trolly across the street that enable you to tavel in the city at a reasonable price.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Katie E, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to San Diego. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you appreciated our convenient location in the heart of Mission Valley and close to all the city has to offer. I’m sorry that you were unable to get your AAA discount, but please let us know upon arrival of your next stay and we would be more than happy to apply it to your reservation. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

We stay at this location at least once a year. The rooms are always very clean and the staff has always been very friendly. Location is very accessible to any activities in the city. The hotel parking should be free.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Maple Valley, WA, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

Great hotel. Specifically enjoyed the tennis court in the back. The breakfast in the mornings could have been a little different day to day, because the same thing got very boring. I did not like you you had to walk through the pool entrance to get to the fitness room. My sneakers got wet and there was no floor mat to dry them off creating a slipping hazard. Please advise.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Katie E, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your wonderful 5 star review. I am pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and that were impressed with the complimentary tennis courts we have on property for our guests. I appreciate you sharing your candid feedback about both the selection at breakfast as well as the lack of a mat on the fitness room floor. I will be sure to relay your feedback to our management team so that these concerns can be addressed. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back for a visit in the near future.
Goose Creek
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

The hotel is nice as was the staff. Everyone was very friendly and helpful, however, I still have not resolved an invalid charge to my Visa. Upon check out there was a $21.00 charge unfamiliar to me. I was told Windows (the charge) was their restaurant. We never even went in the restaurant. We ate at a nearby Applebee's. The desk clerk removed the charge , showed the charge as (allowance) he said for bookkeeping purposes, shredded the 1st bill, gave me a new bill with the correct charge and I was on my way.
Two days later the $21.00 shows back up on my Visa as a separate charge. I called the hotel and was told it was clear on their end and I needed to consult my credit card company. Of course, my card company only confirmed that it was indeed submitted as a charge. Now, I am having to go through the hassle and process of disputing the charge. This is bizarre to me and I should not have to be subjected to this ordeal. I have my documents, but it certainly has caused me a huge unnecessary inconvenience. BEWARE OF EXTRA CHARGES!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Judy P
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to San Diego. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you were impressed with the hotel as well as the friendly and efficient service you received from all the team members. I am sincerely sorry to hear that you were accidently charged for something that was not yours. It is never our intention to overcharge our guests and this was purely an accident. I am very sorry for any frustration or inconvenience this may have caused you. I want to make sure that this issue is resolved and that there were no unjustified charges made to your card. Can you please email me at your earliest convenience at katie.ellison@hilton.com to further discuss this issue. Thank you and I look forward to speaking with you.
Calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed at this Doubletree for 4 nights from November 7-11, 2013. It is very central to all freeways, the trolley station is right across the street, a major mall about 1km away etc. The staff were pleasant, the hotel and grounds very clean, the pool area inviting, valet $20 a day or self park in the adjacent parkade $10 a day. It's a good mid level hotel, yet there was some things lacking. Despite the $190 a night plus taxes and other municipal charges, they want you to pay $14 a day for wifi......or you can hang out in their lobby for free. In this day and age, all hotels should provide wifi. The cost is nominal for the hotel, and even if they charged a one time $5 fee for each guest room night, it would be a profit centre. No in room movies??.....even Super 8 has these. The flat screens were nice, about 40in. but the signal was brutal. Mentioned to front desk, and never fixed. The hotel was never busy. Yet the one time we went for breakfast, the front end host told us it would be a 20 minute wait, and the restaurant was clearly 60% empty. The fixturing is very nice, the restaurant service pleasant, but the food was cold. This could use some improvement. There is a little snack shop with the usual high prices. A very good sports bar in the adjacent building, called Randy Jones. I'll look around a little before going back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view high floor room
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and our future guests. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you appreciated our convenient location close to all the best San Diego has to offer. I am delighted to know that you were impressed with the property as well as the friendly service you received from the team. I am very sorry that there were some aspects of your visit that you were displeased with and I apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused you. We continually strive to provide our guests with the best service and amenities at all times and I am sorry that some of these things were lacking for you. I will be sure to relay your feedback to our management team for consideration. Thank you for your review and I do hope you reconsider choosing to stay with us on your next visit to San Diego.
United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

DoubleTree hotels are a great quality and service, this is no exception. Personnel is really friendly; it has a great rooms, and amazing location. Trolley is just crossing the street; and Hazard Center Mall is walking from the hotel ( actually it has an exit directly to it ).
There's a small coffee shop in the lobby ( serving Starbucks ), great pool and even a nocturnal bonfire where to have a great time during the night.
The building is a bit old ( it could use some renovation ) but the rooms are fully renovated so experience and sleep is great.
Recommend largely this hotel.
Only thing still puzzles me is that there's no complementary WiFi ( as no Hilton hotel has... ) seems a bit old policy

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Just_Traveler
Rosemead, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

I stayed at the DoubleTree years ago and had a wonderful experience; great facility and centrally located. I decided to stay here again as I was in town for a professional conference at USD. Excellent location, nice rooms, lovely indoor pool. I inquired at the front desk about early checkout ( had reserved room for 4 nights) and by simply asking the front desk clerk and manager incorrectly assumed I could not pay. It was a business trip, fully funded by my university. They made me feel like a second class citizen. The rooms-keeper, snapped their fingers at me while I was on the phone.

I will never stay at Double Tree Hotels. They have serious problems in how they train their employees or poor supervision. The only reason we stayed was because my 9 year old daughter loved the indoor pool ( and I did too).

As a frequent traveler and professional I will not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Katie E, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. I am sincerely sorry to learn that you were made to feel uncomfortable and that you were displeased with some of the interactions you had with the team. I want you to know that this is never our intention and I never want any of our guests to feel dissatisfied or upset during their stay. I would like to discuss this matter in more detail with you to figure out what happened and see what we can do to rectify the situation. Please email me at your earliest convenience at katie.ellison@hilton.com. Thank you and I look forward to speaking with you.