“A beautiful surprise !”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“A beautiful surprise !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

We were just arrived in San Diego without a plan , we've been so lucky to run into this beautiful hostel , clean , so cute and with a really nice staff! The room was perfect and the price really affordable! the breakfast was included and had everything , and the place is in the middle of downtown who is really cute and full of places where to go!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NoitaSinagro
GMGaslamp, General Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Awesome! I am so glad to hear that we were your oasis in San Diego. Thank you for the wonderful review. I hope that the next time you visit you choose us again. All the best.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

Ok during our stay we had some problems about activities that did not go well and a bad start but we talked to the manager and I have rarely seen such professionalism and good spirit.
Thanks to that, we loved our stay even more. The kitchen is great and always very clean. And the staff is very helpful and kind. I recommend this hostel. It was very quiet when we were there.

• Stayed October 2012
GMGaslamp, General Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Hello! I recall the situation in question. I' m glad I was able to resolve it for you and let you get on with enjoying your vacation. Our goal is to make everyone feel as comfortable as possible at our hostel, and ultimately to show them what a great city San Diego is. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please come back soon and visit us again. All the best!
Kirkland, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

The property is right in the center of market street. Even visiting in November everything was active and lively and comfortable. I had my window open and got a nice breeze. I felt like I was front row center at a great party, and the atmosphere rocked well into the morning. I think a few people from out of town would come in and crash in the rooms. The rooms were comfortable and I had adequate privacy when needed and conversation with other patrons when desired. Staff was helpful and friendly and gave good recommendations. The lockers were a little well worn and the building itself is an antique. Had some issues with the plumbing in the bathroom but staff worked to address it. Hostels don't get much better than this. Ideal for anyone looking for a fun college-like experience. Stayed in a dorm, eight beds I think.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
GMGaslamp, General Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Thank you so much for the wonderful review. I'm glad to hear that you felt like you were right in the middle of it all. We definitely have a one-of-a-kind location. Good to hear all else was well too. I agree with your comment with regards to our lockers. Currently, all of our premium four bed dorms have new lockers, and we will be looking to replace the lockers in the bigger dorms, which are ten bed and six bed, as soon as we have the capital to do so. Thanks again for the kindness. We hope to see you again next time. All the best.
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed in the private bedroom with private bathroom; it's a simple, clean and nice room. Air conditioning, ceiling fan and fridge available in the room. Water pressure in the shower not really good, but that was not a problem at all. Nice location in the Gaslamp Quarter, but it can be noisy during weekends; make sure to grab the free earplugs at the reception.

One of the best hostel I've ever been to.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
GMGaslamp, General Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thanks for the review. We really appreciate the business and the feedback. Our showers all have low flow shower heads, which may be the reason for the lack in water pressure. We are actually looking into a different valve that has just come on to the market, which allows for water savings and water pressure at the same time. Hopefully this will be our solution. Once again, we appreciate the time you took to review us, and your business. All the best.
Groningen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

It has a friendly atmosphere, it was very clean and organized, the location was perfect.
My colleagues and I stayed at this hostel as a cheaper option to the hotel hosting the conference we were attending. The huge TV was great with a lot of diffferent options of movies to watch at any time. I definitively recommend it!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
GMGaslamp, General Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Best review ever! :) Thank you very much. I'm so glad to hear that you had a great time at our little slice of San Diego. Please come back and visit again soon...maybe when you are on vacation next time? All the best.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

Some staff were very helpful, others weren't. In nice area of gaslamp quarter. Brand new big kitchen, breakfast was decent. Big tv room. Everything was clean. Hostel was kind of too big to mingle with other. Nice stay though

• Stayed October 2012
norcalitaliana, Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to review us after your stay. I will be contacting you privately to find out if or how all staff could have been able to better assist you. I hope you nonetheless enjoyed your time in the City. Safe travels to you!
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

A colleague and I stayed at this hostel as a cheaper option to the hotel hosting the conference we were attending. The room we stayed in was large, very quiet and clean. It even had a tub in the bathroom! My only complaint was the ceiling light that went on mysteriously about half an hour after we'd turned it off and woke us up (this happened twice).
Breakfast was well organized and yummy.
Staff was fantastic - helpful, informative and gracious.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GMGaslamp, General Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thanks for the wonderful review. I am so glad to hear that your experience at our hostel met all of your previous "hotel needs" :). With regards to the overhead lights, they are on remotes and it seems as if some of them were set to the same channel, so other room's remotes were turning on the lights in random rooms. This issue has since been resolved, and there is also an override switch on the remotes themselves which should keep the light off for good. We apologize for the confusion, and thank you for bringing this issue up to us so that we could resolve it. We appreciate the business. All the best.