“Perfect for first trip to San Diego”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego
Ranked #64 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Perfect for first trip to San Diego”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Enjoyed this hotel on Nov 16-18. Rooms were a bit small but in good condition. Agree with another reviewer that it is strange that the bathroom door doesn't close all the way. Location is very central for walking to good restaurants and close to other attractions. Enjoyed spa as well. Thought it was a bit pricey but it was last minute.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Thanks MHPMHPMHP for the nice review. I'm glad you enjoyed Se Spa and our location. Make sure you visit Saltbox on your next visit. Their food and drinks are awesome.

Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Greek first
Seattle
Reviewed November 20, 2013

A few weeks before I made the reservation, I called to make sure that there was a big enough suite that would fit my husband and our best friends, another couple. I called several hotels and it doesn't seem like San Diego hotels has many 2 bedroom suites. The rep had assured me the room was really spacious, even though, it wasn't a 2 bedroom, the queen pullout was sufficient. So, I booked the room and got a great deal. When we had arrived to check-in, Michelle, helped us. She asked if there were 2 couples and I said yes, she said the room you have doesn't have a pull out, but they can bring in a rollaway. I told her that I confirmed this before I booked it, so I was upset. We took the room anyway, but when we got up to the room, I knew it wasn't going to work for us. I went back downstairs and talked to Michelle again and told her, we had to have something different, the room was way to small for 2 couples. Without hesitation, she looked in her system and offered us 2 separate King bedrooms, right next to each other, without paying another cent. Besides the great customer service, the hotel is in a really good location, if you wanted to walk to great restaurants and Little Italy. It was far enough, so that you weren't too close to all the night life going on in Gaslamp.

This was our first trip away together without our baby and we were really excited. Michelle started our vacation on a really good note. Thanks, Michelle!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks MollyMia for the great review. I'm really happy Michelle was able to make your stay wonderful. Thanks for choosing the Palomar for your first trip away without your baby.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Reviewed November 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed here the nights of November 13 and 14, checking out the afternoon of November 15. While we were there, our stay was fine. Nice rooms, although strange the bathroom door doesn't close all the way...Overall, no complaints.

On Saturday, November 16, while still in the San Diego area, my husband realized he most likely left his North Face jacket in the room. We called the hotel around 10 AM to check if it had been turned in by housekeeping. They directed us to a voice mail, where he left a detailed message of what room we were in and describing the jacket.

At around 4 PM, we still never heard back. As we were leaving on Sunday, he called again to follow-up. He was told that they check the voice mails every 2 hours. When he said he called this morning and hadn't heard anything, they just directed him back to voice mail. Clearly, they did not check it or simply chose to ignore it.

Now it's Tuesday and still no call back from Saturday. I understand if the jacket wasn't there or turned in. It happens. However, please have the courtesy and decency to call back and let us know. A quick "nope, sorry for your loss" is better than silence.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kristy B
I'm sorry Kristy B about the mixup and lack of follow up with the jacket. I think all is resolved and it is on its way back to you. Please let us know if you need anything else.

My email is mark.vancooney@hotelpalomar.com.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for two nights and had an ok experience. The valet staff was great but the hotel staff never even acknowledged us even though we were in and out constantly. The room was not sound proof at all. Perhaps we got the left over rooms since we purchased through groupon. Beware!

• Stayed November 2013
I'm sorry Nisey5111 for your stay. I am very sorry that our staff didn't acknowledge you. I would like to discuss your stay with you at your convenience. My email is mark.vancooney@hotelpalomar.com.

Morris, Illinois
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We booked this hotel through Hotwire and were very pleased. It was at the end of the Gas Lamp district with plenty of places to eat. The room was clean, modern and nicely decorated. The staff was professional, friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the great review JulieAp. I'm really happy you had such a great stay. We hope to see you again soon. Make sure you check out kimptonhotels.com. We have some great deals available on our own site.

Warm regards,
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We had a problem with our first room on our second night (not the hotel's fault at all) and they moved us to another room with no hassles at all...and then were nice enough to send a little fruit plate and personal note apologizing for the inconvenience (even though the issue wasn't their fault at all). The staff were incredibly polite and accommodating. The rooms were clean and quiet.
My only compliant would be the lack of shower curtain in the very modern bathroom - the floor got quite wet whenever we showered. Otherwise, an awesome hotel, very close to public transit (trolley) and gaslamp district.

Room Tip: We ended up having three separate rooms during our stay and none of them were bad. There is only...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks HugsD for the great review. I'm so happy our staff were able to make your stay more comfortable. We hope to see you again soon.

Boise, Idaho
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I booked my reservation at Hotel Palomar and learned a few days later that I would need to pay in advance with a company credit card. Michelle was very friendly and easy to work with and got me the form. However, I unintentionally misconstrued what I needed, and she was under the impression that I just needed to give them the number in advance but not have it charged until my actual stay. When I e-mailed her at the last minute and said I needed the card charged that day, she responded promptly even though it was her day off and contacted someone at the hotel to take care of it for me. That totally sold me on their great customer service.

I arrived at 1 PM, and check in is at 4 PM. I was expecting to have to wait, but they had a room available right away. The room I had on the 13th floor was very small but had a fantastic view of downtown with a nice little windowseat. The room is very dark and moody. My stay was very pleasant, and the 13th floor was quiet. I couldn't hear any street noise as long as my window was closed. The 4th floor patio has a nice ambiance. The hotel doesn't have any vending machines, but there is a 7-11 just on the corner. Overall, it was a nice room, and the customer service puts it over the top.

Room Tip: I'd recommend the highest floor you can get.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thanks Nicole R. I'm so happy Michelle made your stay over the top. We look forward to your next visit to San Diego and the Palomar.