“Lovely boutique hotel in Gas Lamp District”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego
Ranked #59 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We had a "girls weekend" at the Solamar. Lovely and comfortable rooms. Convenient location that is short walk to waterfront and surrounded by exceptional restaurants. Very clean throughout. Enjoyed the rooftop bar as well as early morning coffee in the lobby.

Room Tip: Be sure to join the Kimpton Loyalty program - even on the first visit there is a great perks of $10...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank WmWoods1981
Write a ReviewReviews (1,302)

Reviewed February 26, 2013

At first glance, the hotel seems very attractive, however I had one of the worst rooms I have ever had at a hotel. When I got into bed to go to sleep, I heard a drip in the room. When I went to the window to investigate, I saw water( rain) dripping from the window. This obviously was not a new problem, because a towel was laying in the adjacent window, and the ceiling was peeling from previous damage. The best they could offer me was a smaller room in the hotel. The hotel staff/manager never called to appologize. Extrememly disapointing!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear ARL 14,

I am very sorry about your room, the leak and our lack of follow up. Not a great stay at all and I would like to chat with you when you have a chance.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Right in the middle of everything. Great comfy and friendly environment. Will definitely stay here again on my next trip to San Diego. Clean rooms and excellent room service. No complaints with anything. The staff was very warm and inviting. It was like I was part of the family. All my needs were met and I was a happy camper.

• Stayed: June 2012

I am so glad you had an amazing stay! Particularly the comments about our warm and inviting staff and how they made you feel like part of our family.

Your home away from home awaits your return!

Reviewed February 24, 2013

trendy room, nice bathroom, very clean, good location close to the gas lamp district where there is a lot of restaurants to try, nice pool but it is a shame the sun only comes in the afternoon on the pool area. will go back again

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank babybear78

I am really happy you had a very nice stay with us! The sun does warm our pool deck for a longer period of time during the spring and summer months!!

Come back and see us soon,

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Service was informative, fast and incredibly friendly. The room on the other hand was a different story. The bed was clean but the corners of the room were full of dust, the mirrors and lamp shades were also covered in dust, Internet was slow and our television did not work. When we informed staff of this they apologized and took some money off of our bill.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Cjm326

Dear Cjm326,

I am very happy that you experienced great service from our team. However I am disappointed in the condition of your room. I would like to discuss your stay with you at your convenience.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I do not even know where to begin with our experience at this hotel. We stopped here for one night in August when we were on our way down to Baja. I had never been in San Diego before, so was excited to check out this city. My partner booked this hotel mainly for its proximity to the Gaslight District and from reviews we had read. Unfortunately, we didn't read enough reviews apparently because then we would have noticed the lack of customer service from the staff of this hotel and how it isn't really in the best area. You can walk to the Gaslight District but you have to get past the dead, sketchy area outside of the hotel first.
We were greeted by a reception area that didn't seem to have time for us. When we were finally checked in, we decided to go have a drink at the bar attached to the hotel. We were able to get a table and waited and waited and waited for a waitress to come over. The drinks we ordered, in our opinion, were overpriced and not well made.
We then headed up to our room to get ready to head out for dinner at Morton's (absolutely delicious as always)... As we were walking towards the elevator there was a bouncer who just could not stop staring at us! We felt really uncomfortable... but ignored it and got ready to go out. Saw him on the way out... uncomfortable again. Not sure what the problem was.
When we returned our room key wasn't working for some reason. Something must have deactivated the key. When we tried to get a new one- there was the bouncer lurking around us again.
We ignored it again but couldn't wait to get out of there.
On the plus side, the beds were extremely comfortable. The room I felt was a bit overpriced and on the small side, but had new furniture and had a modern decor to it. We also enjoyed the Etro toiletries.
You can find similar hotels, minus the rude customer service, in the Gaslight District if that is where you want to be.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jamie P
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

I am sorry you had an unpleasant stay in August of last year. I would like to discuss your stay with us. I can be contacted directly at the hotel.

Mark Van Cooney

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Just got back from an overnighter with the wife for Valentine's Day weekend. We reserved the hotel on a deal through Sniqueaway.com. Overall, the stay was close to what I expected, based on prior reviews. The decor is great, especially that big swinging door at the entrance. The staff was very friendly, and check in was very fast. The room we had was well appointed, but small, which again was expected. What I liked - walnut floors, comfortable bed, and a fantastic bathroom with high end fixtures. One nagging problem with our room - two of the four light fixtures in our room did not have light bulbs. Weird - I'm assuming the staff borrowed them for another room and then forgot to replace these. Other than that, nice accommodations.
Other positives: Nice location, on the outskirts of the gaslamp area, but within 10 minutes walking distance to everything. Also, you can text valet parking and they will have your car ready for you when you come down.
Negative: The valet parking was $38, and there's no self parking. I knew this going in, but it's still a shock when the parking is equal to about 25% of the room rate. Be prepared.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cat_Stevens41
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

We are so happy you felt like you were almost in heaven! Thanks for the great review Cat_Stevens 41. We look forward to your return.