“Another great Kimpton Hotel.”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego
Ranked #61 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed in a suite with a great wrap around deck. From the deck, we could watch the planes approach the airport. That was fun. The room was lovely - very modern and with 2 bathrooms. The complimentary wine served in the evening was a nice touch. Gilbert, the doorman was very friendly and provided us with great tips regarding places to see. We liked the location, being a block outside the Gaslamp area. We were able to walk to all the sights we wanted to see. We are sorry we had a car because we did not use it, except when we left SD to head to our next destination. The lounge is also very nice. Despite being on a busy street, the room was very quiet.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cuteluke
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Thanks Cuteluke for checking out another great Kimpton Hotel! I am really happy you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Palomar and got to get out and Live Like a Local. We'd love for you to stay with us again. But if you have to stay elsewhere check out the Hotel Solamar or Hotel LaJolla our sister Kimpton hotels in the San Diego area.

Cheers,

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I recently had a meeting at the Palomar San Diego and was beyond impressed and satisfied. This property on aesthetic appeal rates a 10+. The minute you walk in through the door you are swept away. And that door a work of art in and of itself...along with its counterpart at the Saltbox Lounge both are simply amazing. As previously noted all you want to do is continue to walk in and out of the hotel. The hotel is well appointed not only in the public spaces but in the rooms.

Our group was approximately 100 people and all attendees guests remarked at how much they loved the wooden floors to the rooms, high ceilings, bathrooms with the rain showers but the simply understated attention to detail is fantastic with quality linens and towels, pillows are great, too! Though, I did not stay in one of the luxury flats as org. planned I did have the opportunity to see two of them and spectacular and again simply understated.

There is some wonderful artwork throughout the property, too.
The meeting space is one of the best as it is all located in one area and not among various floors. We had the majority of it and it was so great to not only have our meal functions but our general session and breakouts all in one area. For a planner it is a dream come true.

I enjoyed the complimentary happy hour 5-6 on our first evening with a local microbrew a treat for sure. What I enjoyed was seeing different staff manning the happy hour and gives not only the guest the opportunity to mingle with high level hotel employees but all levels and in a relaxed and happy atmosphere. I did venture over to the Saltbox lounge for two evening to try several of their handcrafted cocktails and nibbles. The two items that stood out for me were the lobster corn dogs (fantastic) and the olives (WOW!!!!) some of the best I've had the pleasure of eating.

The staff were not only always pleasant but more than accommodating. Eddy the bellman offering my co-worker and I several choices in dining options but ones he said he would personally venture to. Mark our Banquet Manager was friendly, attentive and proactive and a good sense of humor (trust me on that we may have scarred him for life). Vanessa our Banquet Captain is also a 5☆ employee and a genuine asset to the Palomar. Our final morning there was a mix up that had our breakfast which was to start at 6:30am not be entirely ready until almost 6:50am, not only was Vanessa on top of it (along with Mario our beloved banquet server) she confronted the issue with professionalism and provided one of the most honest and sincere apologies I've experienced in almost 10 years in the business. She should not only be recognized by the Palomar management but her handling of the situation should be used as an example of how to deal with a difficult issue. Not only did she handle it but our CSM (Jill) who later stopped by immediately wanted to know what they (Kimpton) could do to remedy the situation. We provided her with what we thought was a fair compensation and she immediately agreed to it, what no push back? Seriously, Kimpton is pushing the level of customer service to the level of Nordstom's and I applaud that keep it up. I know I am failing to mention others but trust me all staff are great. Finally, I do feel the need to mention our Sales Manager, Rigel Bitterman what a friendly and sincere guy. He doesn't follow the typical Sales Manger who comes in at our pre-con and then you never see him. He made a point repeatedly to stop by and check on not only myself and my co-worker but the group, which goes a long way.

In closing I've stayed with several Kimpton properties on a personal level and find myself always wanting to return and now it has been confirmed I would like to use a Kimpton when the opportunity arises for future meetings/events. Bravo Kimpton and more importantly bravo Palomar San Diego for a job well done.

p.s. You must go to restroom, one of the best unisex I've been in...

p.s.s. I disagree with one of the reviewers docking the hotel because of the street people outside of the hotel this is something that cannot be managed by the hotel but the city and they are working on a resolution...I find that weak in holding the hotel directly responsible for this. There are indeed a lot of street people but climate and destination determine that not companies.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

WOW K C thanks for the awesome review! I could not be happier about our staff and the way you felt everyone cared about you and your group. That is what we are always trying for at the Palomar. Your very nice comments about so many members of our team means so much.

Rigel, Jill, Mark, Vanessa, Mario, Eddy and our entire team look forward to welcoming you back to San Diego and Hotel Palomar!

Warm regards,

Reviewed October 21, 2012

I usually stay at other properties when doing business in San Diego. I decided to try the Palomar and was very happy. I loved the rain shower and great wood floors in the room.
I met a friend for dinner at the hotel restaraunt and it did not dissapoint. Great drinks and amazing food....the mussels were to die for and the swordfish was some of the best I have had. Our server delivered some of the best service I have had in a long time.
I will definately be going back!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

We are stoked that your first time at the Palomar was great! I am happy you loved the room, our showers and Saltbox Dining & Drinking! Chef Simon and the team are making many diners happy on a nightly basis!

Come back and see us soon,

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Service wonderful, room not so much. We had just left a stay at the Kimpton Canary Hotel in Santa Barbara which was wonderful. Service impeccable, and the rooms impeccable. I had high expectations upon check in at the Palomar San Diego. However, once we reached our room my expectations started to unravel. First, two drawers of the desk were broken and we were unable to close. Second, one of the lamps was not working, another it appeared that the lamp shade had been in a bar fight. The hand towel in the bathroom had stains all over - some black stains, and some crusty stuff on it as well. Third, the air conditioning sounded like running water. To be fair when I asked about this it was taken care very quickly and sound was gone upon returning to our room. Again, like I said service at the Kimpton Hotels is always great. Just very disappointed with the quality of the room. Everything seemed weathered and dusty. Lots of dust. I guess the high expectations set by the Canary Kimpton were hard to live up to! We were just disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Dear Julie,

I'm sorry we ruined your stay at the Hotel Palomar. I am very sorry for the condition of the room when you first checked in. I would like to discuss your stay with you. I can be contacted directly at the hotel.

Warm regards,

Reviewed October 17, 2012

I much prefer to stay in boutique type hotels vs the predictable "big box" types. And none of the Kimptons I have stayed in have ever disappointed! I love the experience of staying at Kimptons that I have not been to because they are all (fabulously!) different. From the magnificant front door of the San Diego Palomar (which made me want to keep walking in and out!) to the welcoming couch-comfy, perfectly lit lobby and welcome desk, it is one of the most pleasing places I've stayed. The outdoor pool/lounge/bar area could not have been nicer. And the staff...you haven't experienced true hospitality until you have stayed at a Kimpton Hotel. (How do they find all these "nice" people?)

We were celebrating our wedding anniversary so upgraded to one of their "flats" (a condo-type unit) and we felt like we were living in a picture from a magazine! We didn't want to leave.

I recently reserved 2 rooms at one of the four Kimptons in Chicago and am looking more forward to the hotel experience than anything!

(Although they didn't bother us at all my only reason for the 4 rather than 5 star rating is that there were a lot of "street people" types hanging around the area outside of the hotel.)

Room Tip: I have read that the high level floors overlooking the pool have great views. We had a "flat&qu...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

I am so glad you had another great stay with Kimpton Hotels. Thanks for the great comments on the Palomar, our lobby, our front door and your room.

We look forward to your return soon.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Although I hadn't stayed at this specific Palomar hotel, the properties are usually excellent and this one was no exception. From beginning to end the service was of the high quality I have come to expect from the Kimpton properties. Especially for a woman traveling on her own there is no other group that makes such an effort to be so caring of their guests. I only stay in these properties if one is available and have yet to have anything but an excellent experience. Food is very good, rooms are clean and service is top of the line and all the staff is genuinely nice! What more could you possibly want. Oh, and it doesn't cost two arms and two legs either! I will return to this Palomar in San Diego on my next trip that way in the Spring. I'm pretty sure they will welcome me back as an old friend too.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and quiet space. If you are staying for an extended time one of the suites is a...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

I am so glad you had another great stay with Kimpton! We all appreciate your comments about our great Hotel Palomar. We look forward to welcoming you back as an old friend in the spring.

Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

Great location you can walk to everything. Rooms are stylish and modern. Room service was quick and not to over priced. Construction on the street made valet a Lil confusing when you pull out front double parked and nobody comes out to car.

• Stayed: October 2012