“First time was great!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Scottsdale, Arizona
“First time was great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

I usually stay at other properties when doing business in San Diego. I decided to try the Palomar and was very happy. I loved the rain shower and great wood floors in the room.
I met a friend for dinner at the hotel restaraunt and it did not dissapoint. Great drinks and amazing food....the mussels were to die for and the swordfish was some of the best I have had. Our server delivered some of the best service I have had in a long time.
I will definately be going back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
We are stoked that your first time at the Palomar was great! I am happy you loved the room, our showers and Saltbox Dining & Drinking! Chef Simon and the team are making many diners happy on a nightly basis!

Come back and see us soon,
Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Greek first
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

Service wonderful, room not so much. We had just left a stay at the Kimpton Canary Hotel in Santa Barbara which was wonderful. Service impeccable, and the rooms impeccable. I had high expectations upon check in at the Palomar San Diego. However, once we reached our room my expectations started to unravel. First, two drawers of the desk were broken and we were unable to close. Second, one of the lamps was not working, another it appeared that the lamp shade had been in a bar fight. The hand towel in the bathroom had stains all over - some black stains, and some crusty stuff on it as well. Third, the air conditioning sounded like running water. To be fair when I asked about this it was taken care very quickly and sound was gone upon returning to our room. Again, like I said service at the Kimpton Hotels is always great. Just very disappointed with the quality of the room. Everything seemed weathered and dusty. Lots of dust. I guess the high expectations set by the Canary Kimpton were hard to live up to! We were just disappointed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Julie,

I'm sorry we ruined your stay at the Hotel Palomar. I am very sorry for the condition of the room when you first checked in. I would like to discuss your stay with you. I can be contacted directly at the hotel.

Warm regards,
Fremont, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

I much prefer to stay in boutique type hotels vs the predictable "big box" types. And none of the Kimptons I have stayed in have ever disappointed! I love the experience of staying at Kimptons that I have not been to because they are all (fabulously!) different. From the magnificant front door of the San Diego Palomar (which made me want to keep walking in and out!) to the welcoming couch-comfy, perfectly lit lobby and welcome desk, it is one of the most pleasing places I've stayed. The outdoor pool/lounge/bar area could not have been nicer. And the staff...you haven't experienced true hospitality until you have stayed at a Kimpton Hotel. (How do they find all these "nice" people?)

We were celebrating our wedding anniversary so upgraded to one of their "flats" (a condo-type unit) and we felt like we were living in a picture from a magazine! We didn't want to leave.

I recently reserved 2 rooms at one of the four Kimptons in Chicago and am looking more forward to the hotel experience than anything!

(Although they didn't bother us at all my only reason for the 4 rather than 5 star rating is that there were a lot of "street people" types hanging around the area outside of the hotel.)

Room Tip: I have read that the high level floors overlooking the pool have great views. We had a "flat&qu...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
I am so glad you had another great stay with Kimpton Hotels. Thanks for the great comments on the Palomar, our lobby, our front door and your room.

We look forward to your return soon.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

Although I hadn't stayed at this specific Palomar hotel, the properties are usually excellent and this one was no exception. From beginning to end the service was of the high quality I have come to expect from the Kimpton properties. Especially for a woman traveling on her own there is no other group that makes such an effort to be so caring of their guests. I only stay in these properties if one is available and have yet to have anything but an excellent experience. Food is very good, rooms are clean and service is top of the line and all the staff is genuinely nice! What more could you possibly want. Oh, and it doesn't cost two arms and two legs either! I will return to this Palomar in San Diego on my next trip that way in the Spring. I'm pretty sure they will welcome me back as an old friend too.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and quiet space. If you are staying for an extended time one of the suites is a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
I am so glad you had another great stay with Kimpton! We all appreciate your comments about our great Hotel Palomar. We look forward to welcoming you back as an old friend in the spring.

Bakersfield, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

Great location you can walk to everything. Rooms are stylish and modern. Room service was quick and not to over priced. Construction on the street made valet a Lil confusing when you pull out front double parked and nobody comes out to car.

• Stayed October 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

This was my first trip to San Diego and the owner of my company reserved our rooms for two nights at the Palomar 4 or 5 days before arrival for an impromptu meeting. We arrived and were greated by personalable Bell staff who were happy to be there, Reception staff were also very pleasant. We checked in and were informed that we had been upgraded complimentary. My collegue and I were pleasently surprized. The rooms were fantastic, spaceous, clean and well equiped. Haousekeeping did a great job. I had left a shirt and jeans on a hook in the bathroom. Instead of leaving them there Housekeeping folded them and placed them on the end of my bed, a very nice touch. I enjoy Kimption hotels and will definatley return to Palomar or Salomar San Diego.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Austin, TX, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

My wife and I moved to the Palomar in downtown San Diego for several days after a pleasant stay on Coronado island for a wedding. The Palomar's location just north of the Gaslamp district was perfect for us; it was near the bustle of San Diego's nightlife for an easy stroll to all the attractions, yet off the grid so that we did not feel assaulted by revelers the moment we walked out of the lobby. The staff, who are all in their twenties and early thirties, are courteous, friendly, efficient, and professional. We did have a few problems with our room -- a cooling/heating system which was loud with dripping sounds and a curtain off its rails. A simple call to the front desk and each problem was fixed in a matter of minutes by their maintenance staff. That kind of speedy, competent service is no longer the norm in the US. Thank you Palomar for treating your customers with respect and serving our needs.

The king sized bed was wonderfully comfortable and the ceilings were fantastically high which helped compensate for the room's minimal square footage. The bathroom's giant mirror helped extend the sense of space. The rain shower was relaxing and never did the water temperature fluxuate. If you have kids who need a bath tub, this room wouldn't work for you. There are most likely rooms which could work for families, but to be honest, I did not see one single child at the hotel during our stay. I only saw vacationing friends, couples, and business types.

The gym was small but had all the best equipment one could expect, including free weights, weight machines, treadmills, ellipticals, weighted medicine balls, and a yoga ball. The rooftop pool and lounge was perfect: sun loungers, covered couches which offered some privacy, space heaters for cool nights, and a bar stocked with the best beverages mixed to perfection. The only service we failed to fit in was the spa. Next time, definitely.

We had some friends join us for dinner at the Salt Box restaurant on the mezzanine level. It gets 4.5 stars on Yelp, and deservedly so. Most ingredients are locally sourced and fresh, fresh, fresh. You could fill up on the gourmet appetizers, or supplement with medium and traditional sized entrees. The chef pays a phenomenal attention to detail and flavor combinations. Kale never tasted so good.

Be aware that if you have a car, your single parking option is valet at $38 per day, though there is a parking garage across the street which may get you a slightly better daily rate. Also, breakfast at the Salt Box, though worth it, is not included in the room price.

Kimpton hotels will be our first choice when traveling anywhere in the US.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the pool / rooftop lounge can help decide if you want to join the fun or not. Al...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Zaytian
Thank you Zaytian for your very nice review. I am so happy you enjoyed the Palomar, our service and Saltbox Dining & Drinking too! Chef Simon and the Saltbox team have created a really special dining experience. I am so happy you were able to enjoy!

We look forward to your next trip to San Diego,