“Fantastic end to our honeymoon!”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego
Ranked #62 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 7, 2012

After travelling down the Pacific Coast Highway on our road-trip honeymoon, Hotel Palomar in San Diego was our final stop. The team there certainly ensured we ended our trip on a high!

Upon early check-in (we hadn't told them we would be early and offered to just drop off our bags), we were delighted to learn they had upgraded us to one of their 19th floor apartments (the hotel has 20 floors). The concierge joked it was one of their smaller rooms! After also providing us with a $25 voucher towards a treatment at their 3rd floor (taken up and very much enjoyed), and also a $10 voucher towards the mini bar we were good to go and check out our room.

Ah-mazing! It wasn't a room, it was an apartment just as they had said. A luxury master bedroom with ensuite (TV in the mirror), living room, kitchen, and tiny tiny second bedroom (which housed a telephone!), Gilbert, one of the lovely team there told us that at one point these rooms had been intended as residential condos, but were now part of the hotel, available to lucky guests.

It didn't stop there - a huge balcony and wrap around floor to ceiling windows provides guests with a highly impressive view of San Diego, right down to the Ocean. We didn't want to leave.

Shortly after arriving in our room, we were surprised with a further knock on the door - champagne and fresh fruits in honour of our honeymoon, courtesy of the hotel, with a lovely congratulations card.

Basically we were spoilt and we can't recommend this hotel highly enough! We even had our San Diego based friends come in for drinks so we could share our excitement and view with them too! They were equally impressed.

We had breakfast in one morning (courtesy of Ralph's deli, nearby for stocking up on essentials and wine). We also had breakfast at the Saltbox restaurant. Fantastic food, wonderful service, and appropriate pricing.

The hotel also has a dog who was just gorgeous, and I am not a dog person.

Big thanks for the team there. It meant so much for our honeymoon to end on such a high. Next time we're in San Diego we'll be coming back!

Room Tip: We were very lucky to have room 1904
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bekah78
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2012

Dear bekah78,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for the end to your honeymoon! I am thrilled you had an incredible stay.

Hopefully you can return soon.

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego

Reviewed May 4, 2012

My husband spent five days there. Was very pleased with service, location, and amenities. He said it wasn't quite as fun and friendly as Washington, DC, but was still terrific. He plans to stay there again when he travels to SD for business

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 2, 2012

I live in Pacific Beach and sometimes get a hotel downtown when going out on the weekends. It was my birthday and I decided to get a room. San Diego has plenty of nice hotels but Hotel Palomar really delivers. The rooms are comfortable and well equipped. Valet service is fast and friendly. Front desk and guest services are friendly, helpful and really make sure you enjoy your stay. I had a great overall experience here and will definitively come back.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 2, 2012

We escaped for the weekend and the Palomar SD was a great place. The hotel decor is awesome and staff wonderful. Kimpton is our first choice in any city and places like the Palomar are why!
The Palomar is located within walking distance to the Gas Lamp Quarter, Seaport Village, Harbor, Little Italy and more.

Room Tip: Salt is the best restaurant around! We went to the Gas Lamp Quarter for the food experience and fou...
Reviewed April 29, 2012

My wife and I were down in San Diego for our "babymoon". I booked the Palomar San Diego without knowing much about the hotel. I can say with certainty that it was an absolutely amazing experience -- one of the best we have ever had. The hotel is beautiful -- the decor is hip, and the rooms are massive. What really stood out to me, however, was the service. We were greeted by Johnson Menezes at the front desk. From the moment we met him, he ensured that every element of our stay was taken care of. From helping us get reservations at the perfect place for dinner, or setting us up with an absolutely amazing room with a view, Johnson really looked out for us. I credit a lot of our fantastic experience to his expertise! Thanks!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2012

Dear MontyPal,

I am glad you had an incredible "babymoon" and had a wonderful experience with Johnson. Thanks for the great comments. Johnson is an asset to our hotel.

We look forward to your return.

Warm regards,

Reviewed April 28, 2012

My wife and I travelled from Calgary, Alberta to San Diego and searched online for a hotel and ended up booking the Kimpton Palomar.

Man, we were not disappointed. When you travel to a new city, it's kind of a crap shoot to find a hotel based on pictures and reviews, because they are always mixed. Well, I can tell you this place won't disappoint.

From the minute we pulled up to the valet, we were greeted by Chuy, and our experience was first rate from there. My wife and I are early to mid thirties (for reference), and we were blown away at how great this hotel was. From the modern design, beautiful hardwoods, and modern rooms, I would liken this hotel to staying at a friends house that is that new, modern style. We felt comfortable from the moment we entered the massive front door till we pulled away to head home.

The staff are outstanding, very friendly and extremely helpful. Location is prime for San Diego, close to restaurants, music, the water, and even a few steps from drugstores, coffee shops, etc. As a bit of a techie, I always hope for lots of plugs to keep my iPhones, iPads and cameras fully charged and this hotel was great for that. The tv system is LodgeNet, so you can even control it from your iPhone/iPad using the LodgeNet app.

The bed - Holy moses, this is the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. You usually return from vacation and look forward to getting back to your own bed. Not this time. I think of that king size bed every night. And the pillows are just as comfortable.

Bathroom - Travelling with my wife, occasionally we find bathrooms a little cramped for space but not at the Palomar. Tonnes of room, great stand up shower.

Cleanliness - Our room looked just like the professional photos.

Other - My wife and I were preparing for a night out and were standing outside the main door deciding where to go, when a crazy person started swinging her purse at people. The staff response was swift, and they restored calm for the patrons of the hotel. They are simply outstanding. Our main experience was with Chuy, and man, that guy is possibly one of the best I have ever met. Friendly, helpful, and informative. The three things you look for in hotel staff. From suggestions of places to see and things to do, Chuy made our stay first class. (See you next time dude).

The pool - Man, what a great pool area. The seating and bar area are amazing, best in class.

Must See - Go to Coronado.. great little day trip, and boardwalk area.

If you are a nerd like us and have watched the OC, Laguna Beach, etc... it is a short drive north along the coast.

La Jolla - Don't even think about it... just go there. It's beautiful.

There are only two complaints...

1) The weather in San Diego was foggy for the entire weekend we were there. Kimpton, you make everything else beautiful, so please work on the weather.

2) The Pool area and Bar... not really a complaint, but it's only open til 8 pm. We like a lot of other travellers go out and explore all day, and we would have really loved to have the bar and pool area open till 10, 12 pm? It's a shame to have such a great area and it's closed every time you get back for the day... not really a complaint, but just a suggestion. Even 10 pm would be great.

Thanks again Kimpton, we will be back...

1  Thank HoldenCal

Dear HoldenCal,

WOW! Thank you for your amazing comments. Chuy is amazing and I really appreciate the great feedback.

Please come back and see us soon.

Reviewed April 26, 2012

We stayed at the Palomar on Saturday April 21st. I had been to several Kimpton Hotels in San Francisco and was excited to see what this one would be like since each one seems to have its own unique personality! I wasn't disappointed.

From our first minute there, we had a great experience. Chuy at the door was extremely helpful. I had made a reservation for a special deal online and expected a nice room but had no idea what we were in store for! We stayed in a King room that had to be 600-700 sq feet. Everything was modern but comfy and the bed was extremely sleepworthy :) I loved the robes and the fact that the hotel provided plenty of towels so we didn't need to call for extras which we usually do.

Everything was clean and the staff were very attentive, especially the manager, Johnson. The hotel is walking distance from everything so we didn't need to drive when we went our to meet friends in the Gaslamp district. The only downside which is not the hotel's fault is that if you self park your car you have to go three blocks away, but that seemed like only a minor hassle since one we were there we didn't need to go anywhere.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone planning a trip to San Diego.

1  Thank Cynthia S
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2012

Dear Cynthia S,

Thank you so much for your kind feedback. Chuy, Johnson and all of the Palomar team look forward to welcoming you back!

Warm regards,