“Best Experience Ever” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #65 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Best Experience Ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2011

I recently stayed in one of their conods for my 28th Bday and I received the best service ever!! The exquisite treatment first started when I sopke with the reservation specialist Tori. She really understood that I wanted it to be special and made excellent suggestions and recommended what room type would suit my needs. Once I checked in, Natalie and Astrid worked the front desk and they were both awesome ensuring all details and requests were handled in a professional and timely manner. I would definately recommend this hotel!!! Thank you Tori, Astrid, Natalie :-)

• Stayed November 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Dear 1Kamilah,

I am so happy that you had your best experience ever at the Palomar. Thank you for recognizing Tori, Astrid and Natalie. We are lucky to have such great team members.

We look forward to your return in the future!

Mark Van Cooney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Greek first
Monterey, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2011

Our feelings on this hotel may have been colored by our check-in experience. We staggered in at 2am, exhausted from two hopelessly delayed flights. As we checked in, we told our tale of woe to the clerk and also told her the Kimpton code word. (Don't know about the Kimpton code word? Check out their Twitter and Facebook for the scoop.) The clerk took pity on us and gave us the upgrade of the century.

We got upgraded to the Balboa Luxury Flat, one of the incredible suites. And we got to stay in it for three whole days! It felt too good to be true. It felt like we were stealing something. It had a full kitchen (great if we didn't want to go out for breakfast) and absolutely phenomenal views of the city, including a peek view of the bay. The bed was amazingly comfortable, the rain-style shower was luxurious...it was a great experience.

My other half phoned down on Friday because he couldn't figure out the steam shower. It turned out that the steam element needed repair...so the staff reserved a half hour slot in the couples room at the spa so we could use that steam shower. We weren't expecting it, and it was an amazing experience. They had no reason to come through like that and yet they did anyway. We were so impressed!

The daily wine hour was lovely; it was on the mezzanine in a very comfortable and chic-looking area.

Kimpton overperformed on every level. (If only our airline had delivered even one-tenth of the service!) This was the best hotel stay we've ever had, and it made us want to return to San Diego soon.

One thing to know: our mobile reception in our room was TERRIBLE. There's a lot of steel on the outside of the building and we wondered if it was interfering with our connection.

Room Tip: Check the Kimpton social media sites for the secret code word - you could score an upgrade!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rednikki
arkVanCooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this review, December 2, 2011
Dear Rednikki,

Thank you for the wonderful comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am so happy you were able to give our staff the Kimpton code word!

I appreciate the comments on the Balboa Luxury Flat, our staff and wine hour. I am very happy you were able to enjopy your stay at the Palomar.

We look forward to your return.

Santa Clarita, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2011

My husband and I stayed here on a trip for my HS reunion and loved it! It was right in the middle of the gaslamp district. We booked a Travelzoo deal and were able to upgrade to a suite for a great price. I read the reviews before we went and most of the negatives were that it was a "party hotel". Since we were going for my reunion (without our kids) that didn't bother me. We wanted something fun and close to where we were going. The suite was fabulous! Decor was great and it overlooked the rooftop pool (which turned into a nightclub). It was loud in the evening and at night but we didn't mind since we went to the club and had a great time. If you are going for a quiet, family stay I would not recommend this hotel but if you want something in the heart of the gaslamp district that is fun, this is your place.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Lenals,

We appreciate the great feedback abour your recent stay with us. I am glad you and your husband had a great stay for your reunion.

We have made changes to the pool bar and the atmosphere. Our Saltbox restaurant and bar team are showcasing great drinks and food. I hope you can return and experience that on your next trip.

Long Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

We went down to San Diego for a weekend getaway/birthday celebration. I picked this place as they did receive fairly good ratings and it looked clean with some moody lighting inside; I like that! Anyway, the upsides of this place are obvious as are the downsides. Upside: great service, rooms, amenities, and location. Nothing felt like they were cutting corners on anything, they provided some great robes to use during the stay, and the best part, friendly staff. Downside: there is some crazy club poolside on the weekends that blasts music late in to the night, penetrating every square inch of the room, and we were on the 14th floor. I sleep like a log, and we got in late, so I was fine. My boyfriend on the other hand requested some earplugs from the front desk and they were promptly sent to the room. They even pumped the jams in the rain when there was little or no one there. Trust me, I could look through the glass roof and directly down to the pool/club.
The view is spectacular and if your intention is to enjoy the nightlife of the city and get in late, you will be fine. Otherwise, I would recommend a room on the opposite side of the pool.
Additionally, you will feel raked over the coals with the valet parking, but parking in general is a bear in downtown, so you would be hard pressed to do any better unless you choose to find parking yourself and don't mind waking up at 3-5 a.m. in the morning to move your car. Last but not least, they have that typical cable package that always have a overwhelming amount of ESPN channels yet no Bravo. What? We are in California.
Long story short, I would still stay here again in a minute, I would just be smarter about it. Get a room in the back!

Room Tip: Rooms on the opposite sides of the pool (on the weekends) will likely be quieter.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Betticat,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your stay with us. We appreciate the comments on our rooms, great service, amenities and location.

I wanted to let you know that we have made changes to our pool bar and the atmoshpere will be much different going forward.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to your return.

NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

I love Kimptons and had great experiences until staying here. The coupe de gras was they neglected to provide neither my wake up call nor the back up wake up call. Kimpton has only had this property for about a month. They have a ton of work to do. Other issues - no drinking glasses in the room, we called to ask for some and instead they brought ice. They didn't have a selection of towels in the bathroom, and didn't deliver the proper paper the first day, delivered papers late the 2nd day. Overall, they just don't have it all together yet. I could have spent less, had a wakeup call, etc. etc. When I told the mgr about my lack of wakeup call, she apologized, but didn't seem to think it was such a big deal.

Also, would recommend staying on a high floor and not near the elevator. They put us on the 3rd floor - street noise all night long and the dinging of the elevator outside our door.

Room Tip: Also, would recommend staying on a high floor and not near the elevator. They put us on the 3rd flo...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
SDPalomar, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this review, November 20, 2011
Dear NyBesa,

I am sorry we ruined your stay in San Diego. I can understand how frustrating a missed wake up call and missing items from your room can be. I am disappointed that our staff was not more caring when you discussed these issues. I will be following up with our team in regards to your stay.

I would like to discuss your stay with us personally. I can be reached directly at the hotel or through Trip Advisor.

I sincerely apologize and hope that you will consider returning in the future.

Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2011

Very close to the busy bar night life. Room had great views of the downtown with sightings of the harbor between the buildings. Great service. Short cab ride/drive to beaches.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony. Didn't look like they all had them.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Dear Brian G,

Thank you for the great comments on the views, hotel and our staff. I hope you were able to enjoy San Diego and live like a local during your visit.

North Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2011

We enjoyed this property as a Hotwire stay. The concierge took my young son under his wing, providing a room near the pool, having special treats left in our room while we were out, and arranging complimentary town car service on departure. We were made to feel special and very welcome during our mom / kid SD adventure.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank NVTravelMom
Dear NVTravelMom,

I am so happy you and your son had a great trip to San Diego and the Palomar. I am pleased that our concierge cared about your stay and made the trip memorable.

We look forward to your next get away to San Diego and the Palomar.