“comfy stay”

Ranked #63 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Los Angeles, California
“comfy stay”
Reviewed August 17, 2014

I stayed here 8/15/14 and they were able to get me an early check-in which was before 12pm to which i am very appreciative. The room was comfy for a single person. Big comfortable bed. They have those rain shower fixture + a hand held shower in the bathroom. The place is very close to the gas lamp area and to the train station which is what I took to San Diego. The front desk people are very pleasant.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank RCAlvarez
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
RCAlvarez,

All of our guest rooms hold the Westin Signature Heavenly Bed and Drench showerhead. We guarantee a superior slumber on our Westin Heavenly Bed. A Classic white bed with 5 standard pillows and sheets, you can relax with ease. Our Drench rain shower and signature white tea and aloe bath products create a spa like essence to further renew your senses. You can take them all home with you from our Westin at Home online store! Thank you for your review and I hope you visit again soon.

Alyssa Turowski

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Redondo Beach, California
Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel based on recommendations on tripadvisor and because we had stayed at the Seattle Westin previously and enjoyed it.
This property was disappointing to say the least. Yes, the staff is extremely friendly and accommodating and were kind enough to refund me for the second pre-paid night after we called booking.com and expressed how unhappy we were with the hotel but even this gesture is not enough for a good review.
The property is very isolated in the middle of a desolated downtown that feels more like a ghost town. The hotel is several blocks away from the water front in one direction and the Gas Lamp district in the other. I am a walker but don't really enjoy walking in this neighborhood where there is nothing to see but empty streets and unfortunately a large homeless population.
As far as the hotel itself. The first room we were given was small and cramped, we were moved to a larger room but the whole decor feels very institutional , I have stayed at hotels at half the price that felt cozier. The amenities are scarce and not impressive, the internet charges in the room are outrageous, the $40 a night "valet only" no other option parking is out of line and to top it all the "heavenly shower" was at best lukewarm and the water never achieved a comfortable temperature. Maybe this location is perfect for business people but for a relaxing vacation go elsewhere.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Claucat
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Claucat – I was happy to read that our staff was accommodating and friendly during your stay. We pride ourselves on our friendly service and I will be sure to share this feedback with everyone. I was disappointed to read about your experience with our location. We usually receive great feedback about our convenient location in downtown San Diego. Parking is scarce downtown and we happily offer valet service for our guest’s convenience priced comparably for the area. We hope you think of us and Starwood’s many brands on your next return.
Be well,
Oak brook
Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at westin and than the Hilton Anaheim westin was so much quieter presidential suite was great stayed for 2 nights 3 days on 3rd morning called housekeeping for more coffee it came up almost Immediatly happy hour was great paided only 408$ per night for 2 couches 2 kings grand piano living room full kitchen got the whole floor 25 to ourselves 3 70' tv's the staff was great especially the concierge nice location one block from little Italy airport transportation was great nice leather seats very happy with my stay

Stayed August 2014
Mattyboy337,

Thank you for being loyal to Westin. Our presidential suite holds breathtaking 180 degree views of the harbor and the city. A double master with a living area featuring a grand piano, the Presidential suite guarantees a spectacular stay in San Diego. Our location is central to the Gaslamp, the harbor and Little Italy. We are walking distance to great shops and dining. You can even get discounts to the local museums and attractions right at our concierge desk. I hope you can join us in San Diego again soon!

gatineau
Reviewed August 14, 2014

my husband and I stayed at this hotel aug 1-3 for leisure. this hotel is located approx. 7 min from san diego airport, 2 min from Gaslamp quarter, 2 min from San Diego Padres baseball, 5 min from Seaport Village, 15 min from the san diego zoo and 20 min from La Jolla.
The staff at this resort are all very helpful. check in was quick and efficient and I even received free Wifi in our room upon check in! (wifi is only free in the lobby). everything is clean, from the lobby to the spacious rooms (we were on the 21st floor with a view overlooking seaport). the gym is also very good with complimentary earphones in case you forget yours. my husband and I were able to do our cardio and chest/triceps routine with enough machines diversity. the gym overlook the pool/hottub, we didn't swim in it as it was rainy but the pool is quite small. we also saw that it could accommodate people who needs assistance.
I would recommend paying for valet parking, $40 a day but you can go in and out as you are pleased. parking in downtownis very difficult, when we went to Gaslamp quarter we just asked the valet guys to give us a ride and to pick us back up, it was all complimentaty (make sure you tip them good).
I have nothing negative to say about this place, everything was just excellent (lobby bar/starbucks counter as well) and we will definitely be back.

1 Thank momdad5kids
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Momdad5kids,

It is always delightful to hear about a great stay at the Westin San Diego. Our Westin Workout Fitness Studio offers anything you need for a total body workout. From cardio to weights and medicine balls, you can stay active during our stay. We also have a Gear Lending program in case you don't have fitness gear. We partnered with New Balance to provide quality work out wear for only $5 per rental or 375 StarPoints! you can pack light and stay fit when you stay with Westin.

Calgary, AB
Reviewed August 14, 2014

I would give the rating a 5, but the San Diego Westin on Broadway - although recently renovated - still fell short of the Westin appeal I am use to.

However the purpose of this trip was solely for siteseeing - so this hotel did the trick.

We didn't need to rent a car, as the hotel was a $15 ride from the airport via taxi - and if you are smart enough - which we were not, there is a free airport shuttle to the Westin! Situated right downtown, the Westin on Broadway (there are two within a 10 minute walk - the other is Gastown) is walking distance to what we went to San Diego to see - Joe Rogan at the American Comedy Club (a 10 minute walk) and the USS Marine Air Carrier - a 10 minute walk as well. Both a must! Did you also know the pub that was filmed in Top Gun is also on the main Harbour Drive? Hubby really enjoyed that surprise walk by!

Back to the Westin - the lobby was standard - nothing spectacular - but the front desk staff were truly amazing. Smiling, asking how you were - just genuinely pleasant girls to deal with. You felt welcome!

It felt however that the hotel was shared by a business as well - so that was a little off putting - I know some reviews mentioned security issues, so yes, anyone can walk in and out of the building with no key card scanning needed.

We upgraded our room for $10 to the Bayview and it is worth the view - especially on a sunny morning. Our room was clean, and loved that the AC was working well - it was so humid hot! Bathroom is smaller and still quite dated - but you had everything you needed. The hotel room reminded me of a business hotel - where you stay for long term, more than a resort luxury that we are use to with Westins.

Linens were clean, bed was comfy and room service was on time and delicious!

Note we did not rent a car - so did not have to worry about parking - but you do need to pay a hefty amount for internet. Worked out to be an extra $20 per day for that.

The pool was small - and the chairs were run down - looked un maintained however the gym is well equipped.

All in all - a great stay for us, but for $250/night PLUS paying $20 for internet per day - and not having that full Westin feel - spending $100 less at a few hotels down the street would be more economical!

Room Tip: Bayviews are great to wake up to!
Sunjoyjoy,

I am pleased to hear that you could enjoy sightseeing in San Diego! Our concierge team is a great resource to help plan your next vacation with us and they even have discounted tickets to the Midway Air Carrier Museum, the San Diego Zoo and more right here at the hotel. Our location makes it easy to walk to all of downtown’s attractions and we are also only 2 blocks away from the trolley and train station. Our complimentary airport shuttle makes your arrival even easier and our welcoming and friendly staff is there for anything you need for your stay. I hope you can join us again in San Diego soon!

Seabrook, Texas
Reviewed August 14, 2014

This hotel is spectacular. Walking distance to the Gas Lamp District, and it even has a great bar of its own! I think this was the most comfortable bed that I have ever slept on!! Seriously.. it was great. There are 2 Westins.. this is the less expensive one, just outside of the gas lamp district. I highly recommend staying here!!!!!

Jdelta9889,

Thank you for your glowing review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Located central to the Gaslamp Quarter, Little Italy and the harbor, we are just minutes walking distance to great shops and dining. Our signature Westin Heavenly Bed guarantees a superior slumber and you can always count on great service with us. I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed August 14, 2014

This hotel is across the street from my office and we used to love the convenience of it being so close for after work cocktails and snacks. Many of my co-workers did not like it there and I begged them more than once to just give it another try since I had never had a bad experience there (and I went there quite often). The waitress was always friendly and the prices were just right. But, since their remodel, they've taken away the popcorn and snacks they would serve when you sat down and, while I never was a fan of their food anyway (the popcorn & snacks were perfect for me), their new menu was absolutely awful. We ordered two of the overpriced items, and both of them were terrible. Their drink prices have gone up, and even their happy hour prices are just okay. Happy Hour is just that - we want to go to be happy. But, the food and drink prices made us very sad. Guess we'll be looking for different location close to the office to cheer us up.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cathy B
Cathy B – I was happy to read that you are a fan of the lobby lounge happy hour; thank you for your loyalty. I was confused to read your concern about the bar snacks. We offer everyone that visits the lounge a spicy nut mix and happily provide popcorn on request. I do hope you return with us soon.
Be well,