“Good spot” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #57 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
houston, texas
“Good spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

The Westin is located right downtown about 3 blocks from the center of the Harbor - an easy walk. As a matter of fact cruisers can be seen dragging their bags from the cruise pier to the hotel the walk is so short. The hotel is modern style and from the interior one could be anywhere in a Westin. Room was large and comfortable, clean. Didn't use the restaurants or bar as preferred to walk down to Harbor area. Very good advance purchase internet rate made it even more attractive. Will stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
notnecessary -

Thank you for sharing your feedback with Trip Advisor. We find our location to be perfect for all types of guests. We are centrally located between several neighborhoods making it easy to walk and get around without having a vehicle.

Always remember to check Westin.com for great promotional rates.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Alyssa Turowski

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

The Westin San Diego, really is a wonderful place and is usually my go-to hotel when I want to stay downtown. I regularly fly into LAX for business and take the train down to San Diego. That and being an SPG members makes this hotel a great choice since its about four blocks east of San Diego Depot.

Overall, it is a great place, staff are usually friendly and outgoing. Beds are comfortable and always have a sound sleep in this hotel. The renovations are clearly evident and welcomed, the pool is a lap-based pool which I love since I love the Westin Workout program to help you stay fit while on the road.

However, this time I didn't have the exceptional Westin experience that I'm used to, and it centers around one of the core Westin promotions - Westin Weekends. Usually at most Westins, if you say over a Saturday night they permit a late checkout along with breakfast served all day. This time they couldn't accommodate a late checkout at 4 pm. I was told simply "we cannot accommodate a late checkout" It's really not in my nature to be disparaging - I'm a pretty chill traveler that really only gripes when I'm mislead or their's a gross oversight. That being said, I'm only harping about this since it clearly is promoted on their website, their key cards and on the on-demand television. In my experience, Sundays are usually a light travel day so I was somewhat unclear why this couldn't be accommodated. I usually do chose Westin hotels because of this promotion - case and point the Westin Chicago granted this for me at check-in without me asking. Kudos to them, but I guess all Westins are not created equal.

Even taking all this into consideration, I would recommend this hotel to others but I would caution not to place all you faith, as I did that they would honor the Westin Weekend promotion. This experience will likely factor in when I return to San Diego.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank pennccrn
Pennccrn -

Thank you for taking the time to review the Westin San Diego on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to read we typically do a great job and are your choice for Starwood properties in San Diego due to our location to the Train Depot.
It is unfortunate to read your experience with the Westin Weekend offerings. This is quite a surprise, as we strive to ensure we are meeting the brand expectations; offering late checkout (based on availability) and late breakfast until 3pm from the Westin Weekend breakfast offerings. I truly appreciate your feedback and have revisited the program with the team to ensure we are compliant.
Again, my apologies this affected your weekend. We hope you will give us another try, as a loyal Starwood member, as I am confident we will get it right.

Kind Regards,
Alice Springs, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

I stayed here in early March on a Hotwire deal. I certainly struck it lucky!!
The staff were simply wonderful. The room was comfortable , the location was perfect.
But my stay was raised to another level by the fantastic service from the Concierge desk. Kevin Jordan in particular went the extra 100miles, and ensured that I got around San Diego easily and safely. The bar staff also were exceptional, and as a solo female traveller, I found the extra care taken by hotel staff very reassuring.
I heartily recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear FaikaJ,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Our location makes it a breeze to get around downtown by foot or by public transportation. Our welcoming and friendly staff members are always there to assist you with any of your needs. Thank you for recognizing Kevin, one of our concierge. He is a great asset to our team and I will be sure to share your feedback with Kevin and the team. Thank you for the recommendation and we look forward to your returning to San Diego in the near future.

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

We love coming to San Diego and wanted to try a different hotel this time around. We couldn't be happier with this stay. All of the staff here are friendly and attentive, never have we had such wonderful service. Ray, who was our bellhop was extremely efficient and friendly. He also checked in with us a couple days after checking in to make sure our trip was stellar. Couldn't believe he remembered us considering how many people come and go day to day. Wonderful young man he is. We will for sure be back and will be choosing to stay here on all our future visits. Kudos to this staff, you guys are great!

• Stayed May 2014
Dear mommy2tooboys,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Westin San Diego. We know that it’s the little things that make the difference and we try and make every stay special. Thank you for recognizing Ray. He is a great member of our team and I will be sure to share your comments with Ray and the hotel team. Thank you again for your review on TripAdvisor and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in San Diego.

Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

We stayed during a professional conference. We cannot praise the staff enough...from the front desk to the telephone answerers to the concierge and bell people. Because our initial room assignment was not optimum, the front desk staff, above all Leon W., went out of its way to make sure we were moved to a room in which we could be comfortable and happy. Which we were! Yasmin, too, was an important part of our delight in staying at the Westin. As was Nelly, the first housekeeping person we had. Our second room was very comfortable, very clean, the mattress excellent, the coffee and all the amenities great.

Room Tip: I'd be cautious of adjoining rooms. In the first room we had, which was adjoining, we could hea...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear L L,

We understand how important great guest service is to our guests’ and I am pleased to hear that our staff exceeded your expectations. From Leon and Yasmin at the front desk to Nelly in housekeeping and the rest of our staff, I thank you for recognizing our team. We always appreciate recognition and I will be sure to share your feedback with our team. Thank you for your feedback and we hope you can join us again in San Diego soon.

Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

My spouce and I spent 12 nights at Westin San Diego in April 2014. This was our summer holiday for the year and nether had been to San Diego before. We could not have chosen a better hotel as our "home" for the trip. All the staff were super nice and helpful and showd a ton of compassion to me with the loss of my suitcase by our airline (that thankfully show up 3 days later). Location was the best for us since we used a lot of the publick transportation and Santa Fe Depot trolly stop was just minutes away. Also all the great locations like Little Italy and Gasslamp quater were within walking distance. The hotel was clean and we loved the refreshing flavored icewater in the lobby.

Our room was very comfortable and clean on the (lucky) 13th floor. ;) The view was good. The bed was great and the room was big enough that we could spend evenings relaxing and drinking tea after a long day with out feeling cramped. The breakfast buffet was really good for our first morning after a long trip but a bit pricy and we ended up using near by cafes and restaurants instead for the rest of our stay.

A special thanks to Kevin at the concierge desk for helping us out on meny of our daytrip plannings including a car rental service and finding good places to dine and shop. With out him we would have been lost.

Only problems with our stay was to do with departure as the time for the free shuttle service was marked wrong in our rooms guestbook and the automatic wake up on the rooms phones did not work properly. These layd a bit of a shodow to our leaving the hotel but luckly neither caused any delay to reach the airport on time.

We loved San Diego and if we ever come back we hope to stay at Westin again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear LacySan,

I am so happy to hear you chose to spend your summer holiday with us here at the Westin San Diego. We know that our service is what separates us from the rest and I am pleased to hear that Kevin was able to help make your stay memorable. Our concierge team is a great resource to help you plan your time in and around Sa Diego. From discounted tickets to maps of the area, they have you covered at the concierge desk. The Westin Heavenly bed always leaves you feeling better each morning and hopefully, at the end of your vacation, you left feeling better than when you arrived. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next getaway.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

very clean hotel but also pretty expensive. Nice view of the downtown with a bit of the bay as well, in the middle of downtown San Diego but that might explain the price. wanted to check out the fitness center but while we were there it was under construction. The pool are was nice and they had towels available for the guest to use. Overall it was a fun stay and I loved the beds they were so comfortable!

Room Tip: ask for a high room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear velmore1422,

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay at the Westin San Diego. I am proud to announce the completion of our $15 million transformation was in February 2014. Our Westin Workout Fitness Studio has new state of the art fitness equipment to give you a total body workout. Did you know that you can rent workout gear for $5 or 375 StarPoints through our New Balance Gear Lending program. Whether you forgot your gear or chose to pack lightly, we make staying active while you travel easy. I invite you to experience our all new hotel and Westin Workout Fitness Studio the next time you are back in San Diego.