“Great Service, Quiet & Clean”

The Westin San Diego
Ranked #58 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Everyone from Mellisa at the front desk to the concierge were great at anticipating our needs and responding to our requests for assistance. We loved the "green program" they offered us.
Location was very nice, we walked everywhere and rented a car one day (arranged for by concierge) to drive north to LaJolla and Torrey Pines. We also utilized the airport shuttle service. The room was very clean, nicely appointed, and having the small refrig. in the room was convenient.

Room Tip: Most 11th floor and higher rooms have bay views
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BM W
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Dear BM W,
Thank you for participating in our Make a Green Choice program. Westin is one of the leading hotel brands in the American Green Movement. By choosing Make a Green Choice for one night, a guest supports saving 49.2 gallons of water, .19kwh of energy, 25,000btu of natural gas, and 7oz of chemicals. In addition, all our products and papers are made from recycled and recyclable materials. We know that every little bit counts when it comes to preserving our resources and we again thank you for participating. I will be sure to share your comments with Melissa from the front desk and our concierge team. We always appreciate recognition for our associates and I will be sure to share your feedback with them and their teams.

There are newer reviews for The Westin San Diego

Reviewed April 17, 2014

I stayed at the Westin for an extended business trip and really appreciated the service of all the employees who made me feel at home. Look up Ray the bellman when you are there. Top notch service from a great guy and always professional!

Room Tip: Ask to face Broadway for a better view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Cosgriff-Hernandez
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Cosgriff-Hernandez,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with Trip Advisor. I appreciate your taking the time to recognize Ray from our luggage team. He is a stellar associate and I will be sure he is recognized for this efforts and for leaving you with a memory of his service.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed April 16, 2014

My girlfriend and I spent a long weekend here. The rooms were a little on the small side, but the price was reasonable and the location is pretty hard to beat. We had good service in all areas. The front desk upgraded us, the cleaning staff did a very good job, and the valet service was attentive and helpful. This is an affordable, nice hotel, within walking distance of many cool places in downtown San Diego. Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear banned_in_austin,
The Westin San Diego is a great choice for a weekend retreat. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to read our staff left a lasting impression on you with their attentive and genuine service. I hope you and your family can visit us agin soon!

Reviewed April 16, 2014

I came into San Diego early and needed a place to work during the day and the hotel welcomed me with open arms at 10a with a room and complimentary WiFi as I was there for business. That was completely unexpected and very nice of them. Room was also great! Had views of the bay/water and put me in a great space to work.

Each person I interacted with was super friendly and accommodating, from things as simple as getting a wine opener, to pointing me in the right direction for great food outside of the hotel.

Plus their beds!! If you've never slept in a Heavenly Bed, I suggest you do it immediately.

Overall, I had just an excellent stay that allowed me to focus on what I needed to and in great comfort!

Room Tip: Lots of rooms with water views, so make sure to ask one!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear McJoshE229,
I am pleased to read that we were able to accommodate your needs due to your early arrival to the hotel. The Westin San Diego offers amazing panoramic views – spanning from Mexico to the airport area and very spacious and functional guestrooms. The Heavenly bed is still the best bed in the industry by far and I am happy you enjoyed your experience. The Westin Heavenly bed is available for purchase exclusively through our Westin at Home online store, Pottery Barn or Nordstroms. Thank you for your TripAdvisor review and I look forward to welcoming you back should your travels bring you to San Diego!

Reviewed April 15, 2014

I last stayed at this property years ago when it was a Wyndham property. Now under the Westin brand, I expected to see a noticeable upgrade in the condition and style of the property, but I was slightly disappointed by what I found during this stay at the Westin San Diego.

The check-in process was quick and professional, and I was offered the opportunity to "opt out" of housekeeping service during my stay in exchange for $10 dollars in vouchers. This is offered under the guise of some type of Eco/conservation/green program. Because I was traveling solo, and am generally a low maintenance hotel guest, I took the bait and chose to make my own bed and pick up after myself during my stay. But the more I considered that option, the odder I found it. I always associate a chain like a Westin with upgraded service and amenities, that's what separates a Westin (or Marriott/Omni/Hilton) from a Quality Inn. Now putting a $5 a day value on their housekeeping services provided, they are voluntarily "cheapening" their brand value, at least in my humble opinion. I understand the Eco benefits of not laundering linens/towels daily, but I doubt not having a housekeeper push a vacuum cleaner for a few minutes is significantly going to benefit the environment any appreciable way. In any event, I feel it was a strange direction for Westin to take.

My King room was located with partially obstructed views of San Diego bay and the airport off in the distance. Per usual, the Westin "Heavenly" bed, with accompanying "heavenly" linens, "heavenly" pillows and everything else "heavenly" were very nice and comfortable. The room featured a nice desk area, and a very large Panasonic flat screen television. The condition and decor of this room needed some updating though. The wallpaper was beyond neutral and bland, with several noticeable areas that had been patched, or noticeable holes from previous picture mounts. The bathroom was quite small, but generally clean. The tiling around the shower/tub combo was seriously dated, reminding me of some 1960 generic "institutional" decor. The "Heavenly" shower head combination vibrated with some serious, loud water hammer type issue when the diverter was turned to the full shower head position.

Because of the unique architectural shape of the hotel, the room itself was also uniquely shaped. There were adjoining rooms (and doors) on either side of the room, including one located directly next to the King bed. This allowed me to hear conversations and room noise from the guests in that room. Fortunately those guests were relatively quiet, but I can see that having the potential for major issues with less polite guests. Also, hallway noise was occasionally audible, primarily door noise.

Oddly, I could not find any hotel information in my room. A catalog offering Westin branded products sure. But nothing that described the services the hotel provided. I was told that the hotel restaurant is not open for dinner due to on-going renovations, but does open for a breakfast buffet in the morning. It was there I met Westin staff member, "breakfast concierge" Juan, who went out of his way to make sure everything was good, and also offered some insider types of activities to do and ways to get around the city. During my stay every Westin employee I interacted with was consummately professional and accommodating, but Juan's upbeat demeanor, pride in his job and hotel, made breakfast quite enjoyable. Overall the breakfast buffet was very good, but lacked the variety and presentation to be considered exceptional. The hotel has a small bar area in the main lobby, which offers a dinner menu. Service by the bar staff was good and personable.

The hotel has a very small pool area with a couple dozen lounge chairs/tables and a small lap pool on the third floor. During my visit I did not see any bar service at the pool. Like the hotel in general, the pool scene was very bland and conservative. While I did not visit the workout room, I heard other guests complain about the lack (number) of workout equipment. Although in fairness to Westin, they are running a hotel, not a Planet Fitness.

The hotel is located two blocks from the Sante Fe transportation depot, about 10 minutes from the airport and San Diego Zoo, and a short walk (10 min) to the very hopping Gaslamp district. The Gaslamp district offers several blocks of bars and restaurants, and Petco Park. It's amazing how popular the Gaslamp district has become since my last visit to San Diego. A great place to hang out before Padres game or any downtown event.

In short, the Westin San Diego is not a bad hotel at all. In my opinion, it just needs some more pizzazz and flourishes to make it a great property. With some imaginative lighting the lobby/atrium could be breathtaking. With some renovations and decorative updating the rooms could be special. But as it stands now, the Westin San Diego is a conservative choice, highlighted by a professional, attentive staff.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Mrbigjerk
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Dear Mrbigjerk,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at the Westin San Diego on Trip Advisor. I am pleased that you could experience the property again as a Westin. Our newly remodeled guestrooms showcase the newest Westin signature design using natural elements and colors combined with modern conveniences. Our goal is to create a warm and natural environment for our guests to relax in. I am delighted that you considered the Make a Green Choice option for your stay. Westin is one of the leading hotel brands in the American Green Movement. By choosing Make a Green Choice for one night, a guest supports saving 49.2 gallons of water, .19kwh of energy, 25,000btu of natural gas, and 7oz of chemicals. In addition, all our products and papers are made from recycled and recyclable materials. The Make a Green Choice program is a guests choice and is by no means mandatory.

Thank you for recognizing Juan at the restaurant! We always appreciate recognition for our staff and I will be sure to share your comments with Juan and his team. Each and every one of our staff members are here to make sure your stay is memorable. Thank you again for your review and we hope you will come stay with us again when in San Diego!

Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

Like many of the other westin hotels, when you walk in to the lobby it feels fresh, modern and professional. Checkin was easy (we asked for a quiet room with a view which was kindly accommodated), the staff friendly. Absolutely loved the fresh fruit water offered in the lobby - so refreshing and delicious! The hotel itself is only a 10-15min drive to the Airport, and a 15min walk to town, so not too bad. The other westin (in the gaslamp quarter) is in a more central location if that's what you're after.
Fyi the outdoor pool on level 3 was nice but there isn't much shade at all,
Room: Our room was nice but very very small! The bathroom was the size of my shoe, and the vanity and sink area did not have a door separating it from the room, which I found quite odd. The size of the room was quite limiting, not really enough room for our luggage, especially when we had a crib next to the bed as well, very hard to move around in!
The bar fridge in the room was empty which I liked so we could keep our own food and drinks in there - it actually was very cold and some of our fruit froze, which is unusual for a bar fridge! Two bottles of water and Starbucks coffee is provided in your room daily, which was a nice touch.
Service: Housekeeping did a lovely job every day and were happy to come back at a later time each day because of the baby's nap times. I found the concierge service a bit hit and miss - they were professional and answered any questions but weren't particularly friendly and didnt offer any extra information from what was asked. For example the conversation went like this... Me: "We'd like to go to the zoo tomorrow. What would be the best way to get there?"
Concierge: "Probably by bus."
Me: "Sure - where do we catch the bus from?"
Concierge: "From first avenue" (which, btw, wasn't correct information!)
Me: "what bus do we catch?"
Concierge: "number --"
Me: "can we buy the bus tickets on board?"
Concierge: "no, you have to buy them beforehand"
Me: "where can you buy them from?"
Concierge: "from the trolley depot"
Me: "where's that?"
Etc etc. it was like pulling teeth at times - i think the concierge should be offering such information or even asking whether the guest needs more info, without the guest having to probe for each answer. Also, when I spoke to another concierge later, I found out the hotel offer discount tickets to the zoo and seaworld (which the first concierge clearly didn't tell us about!), so make sure you ask about those if you intend to go.
The luggage department were lovely, especially Darren. We called up asking if they had any boxes we could use as luggage (accidentally ended up doing too much shopping and ran out of room in our bags!). He was so helpful and found a few boxes that were suitable and provided us with tape as well.
Other than the perfunctory concierge and small room size, a nice hotel. Probably would try another hotel if in San Diego again - nothing bad about this one but not much to write home about either.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Sunray82,

Thank you for taking the time to personally recognize Darren from our luggage team. I am pleased that he could make your stay memorable, leaving you with a lasting impression of his service. I apologize for the less than satisfactory experience with one of our concierge. I have shared your feedback with the team, as this is not the norm. Our concierge are all very seasoned and knowledgeable, typically receiving great feedback. This is not the typical experience we are used to hearing about from our guests. We do offer discounted tickets to many of San Diego’s attractions right here in the hotel, making it quick and convenient when you arrive at the attractions to not have to wait in line. Thank you for your review and feedback. If your travels bring you back to San Diego, we hope you will give our hotel another try as I am confident this was an isolated experience.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

I stayed at the Westin for nearly a month while on business. Ema, the girl working at the 'Starbucks' downstairs was a complete doll.... and I literally saw her about 10 times a day because of all the coffee runs I had to make. She was always super sweet and even recommended a place to get my nails done (I never had time, but it was a nice gesture!)

Thanks Ema, and thanks WESTIN!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Dear mermally,

We strive to create memorable experiences as your home away from home, and I am pleased to read, Ema created a lasting impression with you. We always appreciate staff recognition and I will be sure to share your comments with our team and Ema. We know that it is the personal touches that separate us from the rest and I am delighted to Ema was able to make a personal connection with you, exceeding your expectations.