The Beach Cottages
Paradise Point Resort & Spa(San Diego)
$267
$159
$599
Fairmont.com
Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
$172
  • Restaurant
Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$345
$299
$219
$183
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$162
  • Beachfront
$149
BestWestern.com
  • Pool
Bahia Resort Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$213
$159
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$176
$169
  • Pool
Omni San Diego Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$310
$290
Hotelpower.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsping pongmain buildingpacific beachbedroom cottagewest winggrocery store across the streethotel portiongreat beach hotelocean viewair conditioningproperty offersopen the windowplace to stayprivate patioboogie boardsfull kitchenwell maintained and clean
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 10, 2008

I stayed in a motel room at The Beach Cottages, in Pacific Beach for five nights, and think I can answer some questions single travelers may be having about choosing this particular property for their getaway. First, and foremost, the view and location simply cannot be beat. Close to everything you need, and miles of boardwalk make this spot ideal for a beach vacation. With that being said, I wanted to report that as a single older woman traveler, you may want to rethink some things. My room faced the ocean, and was uncomfortably hot with no breeze. No A/C, I had a fan only. There were people behind me (second floor), so no cross ventilation was possible, hence a hot box of a room. Bottom line: Unless they have a better room, don't bother booking this cell, and it's no way appropriate for two people!!
The front desk was sullen but efficient. Not a friendly place, and unless you bring your friends along, you'll likely not speak to anyone for days on end. But, again, this may be what you are after. The shower was great, and the micro and refrig looked brand new, so no worries, there. There were lots of families with preschoolers, and I would only stay here again if I was in a cottage in the front, with people, and there was a chance for a breeze via cross ventilation. Bottom line again: if this is the best you can afford, go for it. Just be ready to enjoy the view! P.S. The internet does not work, either. Nor does the ice maker.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank nalahblueberry
Reviewed August 18, 2008

Let me start out by saying that everyone has different expectations of their hotel experience. What I wanted was a clean room at a reasonable price ON THE BEACH. Not "near" the beach but I wanted to be right there. The Beach Cottages was the perfect place for my vacation style and budget. I stayed in the smallest/cheapest room in the main building. For $140/night the room was small but quite clean and adequate for my needs. The staff was polite and helpful and even went out of their way to make sure our stay was enjoyable. The best part is that I open my door and there is the beach!! Spent 2 nights on the second floor then had to move to the third floor (I booked way too late and had to take what was available) and I must say the view from the 3rd floor was as perfect, just look out over the beach.
There are a few things about the Beach Cottages you need to be aware of to make sure this is the right place for you. First of all, there was NO air conditioning. I'm from AZ so the average temp on the beach is already cooler than I usually run my AC at so this was no issue. There is a relaxed community atmosphere at the Beach Cottages with a mix of young and old mixing and BBQing in the common areas. If you're looking for chilling out with others, getting a game of shuffleboard or cards or just hit some beer with your neighbors - this is your place. If you're used to being pampered by your hotel/spa - don't look here.

Overall I loved the location, the service was great and the rooms were clean - all for what I thought was a REALLY great price to stay ON the beach. I'll be staying there every trip from now on.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 4gaugesurprise
Reviewed July 26, 2008

My daughter (16) and two friends went to Comic-Con and wanted to spend the next day at the beach. I found The Beach Cottages and was worried they might not really be on the beach. When we arrived, I couldn't believe how close the Pacific Beach was to the hotel.

We stayed in the North Building, and Trip Advisor reviewers said it has no ocean view. We were on the third floor, and the ocean view was good! The North Building is across a small street from the main hotel where the actual cottages are located, and you have to lug your luggage up the stairs (no elevator). But you will have a small but complete kitchen, a large dining table, a pull-out-bed couch, two beds (not the softest, I might add--they were hard!) and a sliding glass door that lets the breeze come in, along with a ceiling fan to circulate the air. The furniture is functional and the room is dark, but once you get settled in, you'll be out at the beach or walking along the boardwalk--and the decor won't matter!

I walked to the Ralphs' a half-block away; it's a nice store, and I made all the meals in the kitchen. Other than not having a garbage disposal, the kitchen was quite adequate. It was a bit like playing house, since the stove and refrigerator were so small. The girls ate at the counter on stools and we were all very happy--they loved the boardwalk, I loved the sandy beach, and my only complaint was that we only stayed one night.

About the balcony--you do not have a private one--it extends in front of all the rooms on the floor. Each room has a small white plastic table/chairs to use in front of the unit.

Many Trip Advisor members commented on the rowdy crowds and noise--Pacific Beach no longer allows alcohol on the beach, and there are cops all around to enforce it. We went to sleep at 9:00 and didn't hear a thing after the lights were out!

I can't wait to go to the Beach Cottages again!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank hopeiam
Reviewed May 22, 2008

Stayed at the Beach Cottages for a long weekend with my sisters. The 3 days we were there the weather was really hot!! So that made the stay even better. The hotel is clean the people at the front desk were very nice. plenty of resturants, bars, and stores around the area. Next time we go to San Diego will take the kids they would have a blast there!!! Would like to rent one of the little cottages next time. We all enjoyed are stay so will you!!

• Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed April 30, 2008

Just got back from a 4-day stay at the Beach Cottages. We stayed in the two bedroom apartment which include a kitchen (my husband and I have 4 teenagers). The rooms were clean, staff was helpful (though we had few needs), and the proximity to the beach made for a perfect location. There price is right - there aren't a lot of "extras" like a pool, beach chairs, or beach towels, but there are stores all over within walking distance where you can buy whatever you need to compliment your stay. There are restuarants within walking distance as well (not to mention a super market for those of you who take advantage of the kitchen) and plenty of other things to do just a short drive away. I highly recommend this place if you are looking to stay on the beach and are on a budget - kids or no kids.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family