“Great people, great location.”
Review of The Beach Cottages

The Beach Cottages
Ranked #149 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I have stayed at the Beach Cottages every year since 1997. It is a great vacation location for a family, both young and old alike. It is a heaven for people with young children. I have raised my children on vacations at the Beach Cottages and now my children are bringing my grand children!! You are on the beach with lots of places to eat and shop. We have as many as 25 family members at the Beach Cottages at one time. We can cook out and eat together and have a great time just visiting!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Larry L

Reviewed July 13, 2012

My family has been staying at the cottages for close to 30 years, so when my husband and I got married 8 years ago, naturally we made this our hotel while visiting San Diego, too. I wanted to love this place as much as I always have, however, in the last few years during our visits, we have discovered th area has become a little rough, especially at night, and the surrounding bars make it impossible to sleep. Twice we were in the motel building and the bar on the corner played music so loudly and the intoxicated customers were so obnoxious we didn't sleep a wink. On our last visit the noise was so loud, we finally decided to pack our bags and head to a different hotel. We called the manager on duty and informed him of the situation, and he generously offered to move us into the building with the check in office, just a few doors down. We took him up on that because we were so tired, but unfortunately the noise was still so bad we couldn't fall asleep. I feel terrible because this is by no fault of the Beach Cottages, they can't control the nearby bars, but as a traveler who does like to sleep soundly while by the beach, I feel it's fair to warn other travelers that during the day the surrounding area is quite peaceful but when night falls and the drinks are flowing the place turns into a zoo. Because of this we won't be returning.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank educ8tor
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Well worth looking at for your San Diego vacation. Family friendly. Good value. Right on the Beach.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Luka302
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Location was amazing, though we did have a hire car which helped us get around to see everything we wanted - that said, there is a super market across the road, as well as heaps of cafes and bars. Rooms were clean, staff were ok (not overly helpful, but not rude either).

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PoppyCottonwood
Reviewed April 17, 2012

My wife & I recently stayed at The Beach Cottages for two nights in the beginning of April. We rented a studio room with two queens, a small kitchen, & a partial view of the beach. The only complaint was that the beds were a little on the hard side, but other than that a great value for a beach location in pacific beach. I would stay at this place again anytime!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank 4fisher1
Reviewed February 13, 2012

My wife and I celebrated Valentines Day on Saturday by leaving the kids with the grandparents and coming down to the beach. We will often just head down to PB and wing-it, finding a room that day (as opposed to booking in advance). My wife had stayed at the Beach Cottages in the past but this was my first time here.

All in all, not a bad hotel if you're looking for a beach front property. This hotel is old and shows it's age, but our room was fine. It was quite small but since it was just the two of us, it worked out perfectly. It also wasn't too pricey but it was off-season, so I'm sure it would have been twice as much during the summer months.

We got a room on the 3rd floor in the main building and the view was spectacular. We were able to park for free in the hotel parking lot (a definite plus in PB) and walk to wherever we wanted.

Because of the location, price, parking, and the view, we will definitely consider staying here again, especially for off-season visits to the beach.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank mswguitar
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Stayed this past week at Beach Cottages in cottage 512..on the beach.. and we loved it there. We heard good things from family who have stayed there in the past. The sunsets were awesome. We really enjoyed watching the surfers and dolphins...
Very very clean, the beds are comfortable and the kitchen had everything we needed. Just a quick walk to Ralph's and Trader Joe's for some goodies and we were settled in in no time. Housekeeping stops by every day to see if you need anything.
My only regret is that we rented a car for a week which we hardly used at all. We enjoyed hanging at the beach and took many long walks. The weather was in the 70's every day (they say we lucked out) People at the desk were very nice and went above and beyond one day to assist our guests from LA with a parking issue. The restaurant next door was great. We enjoyed our stay so much and look forward to returning in the future. The sooner the better!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple