“Can't get closer to the beach”
Review of Surfer Beach Hotel

Surfer Beach Hotel
Ranked #103 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed August 20, 2014

I absolutely love the location of this hotel. Right on the beach; the pool courtyard literally opens to the boardwalk that lines the beach. It's right in the middle of the action of Pacific Beach, so anything you could need or want is walking distance. Plenty of beach shops and restaurants and bars all right there. Mission Beach and Belmont Park are fairly close, but a further walk than anticipated, almost half an hour.

Yes, the hotel is kind of dated, but considering you're on the beach the price is ok. Don't forget you have to pay for parking as well, and the spots are teeny tiny. The coffee machine by the front desk is free, but I did get dirty looks one night when I took the kids in to grab hot chocolate for our nightly beach walk.

The rooms were not as nice as I pictured, and a bit on the small side for a family of 4, but we made it work. The beds were fairly comfy tho, and plenty of pillows. Unfortunately, there is no AC, so be prepared to get the complimentary fan out of the closet, open the sliding door, and enjoy the ambiance of the beach noise. Yes, there are earplugs on the nightstand in case the noise from keeping the door open bothers you (my son ended up using them, but he slept closest to the balcony).

The bathroom was tiny. The weird part was that the sink is in the entryway where the mini fridge is (nice there was a fridge, I wasn't expecting that). The shower was a small square stand up shower, no tub at all. I did notice a shortage of hot water depending on what time of day. About 6pm, when everyone is done with the beach and getting ready for dinner? The hot water was slim. Late night or in the morning? I didn't have a problem.

Smoking is not allowed on the balconies, but outside of the pool area is a courtyard that does allowing smoking. The courtyard lines the boardwalk, and there's a plexi glass wind barrier fence wall thingie so you can sit there and people watch without being bothered by the sandy wind or non hotel guests. One night my husband and I grabbed a bottle of wine from the corner market and smoked a cigar out there while we sipped and watched the sunset. It was perfect.

If I planned on doing another San Diego beach trip, I would stay here again. I think however next trip I'd like to see a different beach and try somewhere new instead of coming back to the same beach area every time.

Room Tip: Try to get off the ground floor, so even if it's a crappy view of the ocean, you can still see i...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Adam D, General Manager at Surfer Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2014

Dear Kathy Z,

Thanks for the great review of the hotel. Your family vacation sounded ideal. I am glad you were able to enjoy all that the Surfer has to offer. We hope you book again with us soon.

Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

Spectacular view of ocean and within walking distance to shops and restaurants. But at over $320 night you would expect a clean room, AC and HOT water for showering. Hotel has attempted to update rooms with new furniture but when drapes and curtains are disgusting and dirty along with ceramic tile falling off in bathroom, it's difficult to find the positive in this hotel even when you're on vacation.

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Traveltime008
Adam D, General Manager at Surfer Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2014

Dear Traveltime008,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate the high marks in service and I will be sure to follow-up about the hot water issue and the tile. Please email me at adam.dellarocca@trigildservices.com so I can pinpoint which room you are referring to.

As to the other items you mentioned, we are upgrading all the time and constantly making improvements and changes, so I will bring your comments to the management company and ownership so we can be sure to continue to improve.

Thank you again for choosing the Surfer.

Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

The hotel has great location ever !!! But the rooms are not good at all !!! No AC so is very hot inside the room. The carpet is very old and dirty ! No amenities at all and for the 3 person they offer a terrible sofa bed ! Hallway is very dirty and very noise ! Elevators are not clean during the day and there a everything there! Staff no friendly at all ! When I asked about beach towel they said ! Really ??? We don't have beach towels... No thanks or sorry about that .... Shower was not good !

Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank Felipe_US
Adam D, General Manager at Surfer Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Dear Felipe,

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. I have shared your review with my team in order that we can ensure that other guests don't have the same experience.Once again, I apologize for your disappointing stay.

Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend were first time in San Diego. And the hotel next to the beach was just perfect! Very clean, very kind and responsible service, especially housekeeping and frond desk people. Want to say thank you to Umit Corut - frond Office manager. He was very nice and polite and could answer to all our questions and gave us a lot of suggestions about where to go and what to you. We will deff stay there next time we in San Diego

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank JohnnySapir
Adam D, General Manager at Surfer Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2014

DearJohnnySapir,

We are so pleased to have received a five-star review from you. I am very happy to hear that you and your girlfriend enjoyed your recent trip. Umit is an excellent Front Office Manager dedicated to providing excellent service to our guests and training our staff to do the same. He is always so welcoming to the staff and I am glad to see him recognized.

Thanks again for staying with us and we look forward to your return trip!

Reviewed August 3, 2014

Rooms tiny , no air conditioner , hotel very dated in need of refurbishment , very noisy at night , absolutey nothing like the photos on the net , v pricey for what u get !pool area chipped and broken up , windows dirty , entrance on parking , parking area dirty , vomit , cigarette stubs ! U get ear plugs supplied by the hotel as standard next to your bed when you arrive !

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Waynestainforth

Dear Waynestainforth,

I am deeply disappointed that you posted a critical review. I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. We are located on a very active and popular beach. The ear plugs are for the convenience of those guests who would like to keep their patio doors open without being disturbed by outside noise. We maintain a quiet hours for our guests after 10pm.

I am sorry that the parking lot was dirty. We sweep it twice a day, but it the constant foot traffic throughout the day leaves its mark. I will make sure my staff are more diligent about its appearance.

Again, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

Surfer Beach Hotel is right on the boardwalk can't get any closer to the Pacific Ocean.
Casual laid back and the perfect spot to stay. Fabulous view of the ocean. Walk to restaurants, shops and close to pier for fishing. Just a great place to stay. Rooms are clean, but plain, big screen TV.
World Famous restaurant is attached to Hotel. The food is world famous and delicious Treat yourself to their dining.

Room Tip: room with a view of ocean.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Adam D, General Manager at Surfer Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2014

Dear Kkv,
Thank you for taking the time to write a five star review. I am delighted that you had such a great stay and appreciate the recommendations for our potential guests. We look forward to having you back.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

My husband and I have vactioned at the Surfer Beach for 5 years - twice a year. A week in April for his Bday and a week in September for mine.We book it 6 months ahead of time so always request room 415. When we leave I always mention that if it is ever listed, I would buy it as my retirement home. It is not 5* but who wants that on a beach? It is a beach hotel. The staff is always very nice. Counting the days until September...

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lucy p

Dear Lucy P,

Thank you for your excellent five-star review. More importantly, thank you for your loyal patronage. We are honored to be able to be a part of your family's special days. We look forward to continuing to provide excellent service in a phenomenal oceanfront location to you and your husband. See you in September!

Adam M. Della Rocca

P.S. If room 415 is ever on sale, you will be the first one we call!