“Great until 3rd Night”

Ranked #98 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
“Great until 3rd Night”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

This hotel is positioned perfectly. Great places to eat and a wonderful view right there. The couch did have a tear on the arm and the sheets had a couple of holes in them but over all the room was really clean. We ended up in the Handicap accessible room so everytime we showered the floor would get soaked but we always had plenty of towels.
The first two nights the room was very quiet and peaceful but the third night (Saturday night/Sunday morning) was extremely loud. The room above us started thumping their music about 3 am, running around everywhere and yelling to one another until about 5 am.
Overall it seems like a great place to stay but seems that weekends could get loud. I wouldn't even want to try it during Spring Break season.

Room Tip: Try not to be on the first floor if you don't have to be. Could help with some of the excess noi...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tiana A
Adam D, General Manager at Surfer Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear Tiana A,

Thanks for sharing your honest review of the hotel. It is our intent to provide guests with a clean and comfortable stay. I am sorry that other guests interrupted the tranquility of your stay. Although Pacific Beach does get loud during Spring Break and party weekends, we do our best to limit the exposure to our guests. We have a 24-hour Front Desk who enforce quiet hours after 11pm and we have overnight security.
Thanks again for your review!

Adam M. Della Rocca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Pioche, Nevada
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Stayed at this hotel while in san diego for marine boot camp graduation. Location is convenient, parking is a little tight, location is great. Walking distance to everything you need. Beach view room was excellent!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Mcheer,
We pride ourselves on offering good value for those looking to sleep to the sound of the waves. Thanks for recognizing that and sharing your review. Congratulations to the Marine Corps grad as well!
Thanks again,

Harlan, Kentucky
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Loved this hotel, my first stay on the beach and it was wonderful! The hotel is older, and the word that comes to mindand the rooms, particularly the bathrooms are out of date but it was clean and comfortable. Location is also amazing, walking distance to everything. Staff was very helpful. The highlight of the trip was being hooked up with Nick from Ascot Transportation, he provided a truly amazing tour of San Diego for a very reasonable price. We saw things that people who have been in San Diego for years aren't familiar with. All in all a great stay! Remember to ask for Nick!!!!

Room Tip: Great view from the 4th floor!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Lora H,

Thanks for the 5-star review! We appreciate the kind comments and are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Nick, from Ascot, is truly a professional and has been helping our guests see the best of SD for years! Thanks for sharing the love!

Reviewed February 9, 2014

We loved this little boutique hotel. Amazing views, sliding patio doors for the breeze and ocean sounds. It's a bit dated (at least the room we had)but we didn't expect the ritz. We wanted and affordable clean hotel room on the beach and that's exactly what we got. The bed was comfortable. Pretty good pillows. The only downfall is the showers are very small. I mean very small. Also, it was a bit loud... we stayed a friday and saturday night. Its an older place with those big sliding doors, so we expected it. Most noise stopped around 11pm, which is right around when we go to bed anyways...and it was easy to sleep through the night. The staff was very accommodating (we got into town about 11pm with no reservation) and continued the trend over the next 2 days. The world famous restaurant at the edge of the hotel (not in it) has good food, and they're always really busy... but the service is mediocre. The beach and the staff make it so worth it. It was affordable, and we had a wonderful experience.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear LS118,

Thank you for the 5-star review. We are happy we were able to accommodate you and that you so enjoyed your stay,. We appreciate you taking the time to write. Thanks again for visiting.

Elysian, Minnesota
Reviewed February 8, 2014

We arrived to Surfer Beach Hotel after 2 long flights from Minnesota. We went to check in around 1:00pm and initially we were told that our room wouldn't be ready until 4:00pm. This was disappointing news since we had a rental car full of suitcases and a son fast asleep in his carseat. However, a manager was able to get us into a room that was "ready". After checking in, we discovered that the room in-fact was not ready (food and other items left behind in the room). Housekeeping was sent within 20 minutes to clean up.

I initially booked through Travelosity but when I called to confirm I requested an ocean-view room. They offered me ocean-view for $10 extra per night if I booked directly with SBH instead of Travelosity. We got a very reasonable nightly rate and the views were quite nice (although it wasn't a straight on view of the ocean).

There wasn't anything special about the rooms, but we weren't looking for a 5 star hotel nor did we want to pay for a 5 star hotel. We got what we paid for. The additional $15/night for parking seems ridiculous but that seems to be normal in San Diego, you pay to park almost everywhere! The best part about the hotel was the ability to leave our sliding door open at night to listen to the waves. Such a beautiful sound!

If you're not looking for 5 star, this is your place. It's right on the boardwalk with shops and restaurants. Very nice location and we would stay there again if/when we return to SD.

Room Tip: 3rd or 4th floor ocean view!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Adam D, General Manager at Surfer Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Andrea,
The best review we can receive from a guest is that they will stay here again. We love hosting our repeat guests which gives us a chance to get to know our guests even more. I am sorry that in our haste to get you into a room, the staff placed you into a room that had not been inspected. I am glad it was remedied quickly. I am also pleased that you were able to take advantage of the SBH Manager's Discount, a program that allows our guests to book directly through the hotel for the same rates they see for our hotel at any website.
Thanks for sharing your experience with others.

Hudson Valley, New York
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I love this place for reasons that are difficult to put into words because staying here is a visceral experience for me. This is my second stay and we know that says it all if I have returned. This is not a chain! This is not perfect! This can be described as retro! What I came for, I got. What I came for was being able to hear the ocean 24 - 7 and see the ocean when I open my eyes in the morning as I am waking up. I came to sit on the balcony watching the Pacific with my youngest daughter and hang around PB. I did not need my earplugs that I usually sleep with because the ocean was my lullabye. My bed was comfy and my room was clean. My daughter and I had a nice meal at the World Famous. I did request to be moved from my first room because I could hear the people upstairs walking around my first night. I was accommodated and liked my second room even better since it had a whirlpool tub and that made my little piece of heaven more heavenly. Yes yes as other people have reported the wifi was spotty (in spite of the strong signal) but I think that is because of the shape of the building and I was feeling so good I could handle it. It is a no smoking hotel and yes someone did smoke on the balcony nearby which I could smell once. In spite of my limited problems during this 4 night stay, I will return!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear ThrilledEasily,
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. The Surfer Beach Hotel is the perfect place to sleep listening to the sound of waves, an experience that should be enjoyed by all at least once! I am happy to announce that to help accommodate this experience, we are now a fully smoke-free hotel. After listening to guest feedback about smoke wafting from one balcony to another, we now do not allow smoking on the balconies. Thanks again for staying with us and we hope to have you back with us soon.

Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Having lived in Pacific Beach all through law school, it was thrilling to be back 'in the hood' for an extra-long weekend, on the beach, at the historic Surfer Beach Hotel. While the property is old ("historic"), it is well maintained, clean, and comfortable. And it's great that the world famous 'World Famous' restaurant is on site. Good food, clean rooms, and an abundance of nostalgia made it a great get-a-way.

Room Tip: Get a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank mediator51
Adam D, General Manager at Surfer Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear Mediator51,

Thanks for the five-star review. Our staff is dedicated to providing great service and hosting our guests in clean rooms at an affordable price. We were honored to host your return to your old haunt. We appreciate you taking the time to post a review as well.