“Loved it!”
Review of Surfer Beach Hotel

Surfer Beach Hotel
Ranked #98 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Loved this hotel, my first stay on the beach and it was wonderful! The hotel is older, and the word that comes to mindand the rooms, particularly the bathrooms are out of date but it was clean and comfortable. Location is also amazing, walking distance to everything. Staff was very helpful. The highlight of the trip was being hooked up with Nick from Ascot Transportation, he provided a truly amazing tour of San Diego for a very reasonable price. We saw things that people who have been in San Diego for years aren't familiar with. All in all a great stay! Remember to ask for Nick!!!!

Room Tip: Great view from the 4th floor!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Adam D, General Manager at Surfer Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Dear Lora H,

Thanks for the 5-star review! We appreciate the kind comments and are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Nick, from Ascot, is truly a professional and has been helping our guests see the best of SD for years! Thanks for sharing the love!

Reviewed February 9, 2014

We loved this little boutique hotel. Amazing views, sliding patio doors for the breeze and ocean sounds. It's a bit dated (at least the room we had)but we didn't expect the ritz. We wanted and affordable clean hotel room on the beach and that's exactly what we got. The bed was comfortable. Pretty good pillows. The only downfall is the showers are very small. I mean very small. Also, it was a bit loud... we stayed a friday and saturday night. Its an older place with those big sliding doors, so we expected it. Most noise stopped around 11pm, which is right around when we go to bed anyways...and it was easy to sleep through the night. The staff was very accommodating (we got into town about 11pm with no reservation) and continued the trend over the next 2 days. The world famous restaurant at the edge of the hotel (not in it) has good food, and they're always really busy... but the service is mediocre. The beach and the staff make it so worth it. It was affordable, and we had a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear LS118,

Thank you for the 5-star review. We are happy we were able to accommodate you and that you so enjoyed your stay,. We appreciate you taking the time to write. Thanks again for visiting.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

We arrived to Surfer Beach Hotel after 2 long flights from Minnesota. We went to check in around 1:00pm and initially we were told that our room wouldn't be ready until 4:00pm. This was disappointing news since we had a rental car full of suitcases and a son fast asleep in his carseat. However, a manager was able to get us into a room that was "ready". After checking in, we discovered that the room in-fact was not ready (food and other items left behind in the room). Housekeeping was sent within 20 minutes to clean up.

I initially booked through Travelosity but when I called to confirm I requested an ocean-view room. They offered me ocean-view for $10 extra per night if I booked directly with SBH instead of Travelosity. We got a very reasonable nightly rate and the views were quite nice (although it wasn't a straight on view of the ocean).

There wasn't anything special about the rooms, but we weren't looking for a 5 star hotel nor did we want to pay for a 5 star hotel. We got what we paid for. The additional $15/night for parking seems ridiculous but that seems to be normal in San Diego, you pay to park almost everywhere! The best part about the hotel was the ability to leave our sliding door open at night to listen to the waves. Such a beautiful sound!

If you're not looking for 5 star, this is your place. It's right on the boardwalk with shops and restaurants. Very nice location and we would stay there again if/when we return to SD.

Room Tip: 3rd or 4th floor ocean view!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Adam D, General Manager at Surfer Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear Andrea,
The best review we can receive from a guest is that they will stay here again. We love hosting our repeat guests which gives us a chance to get to know our guests even more. I am sorry that in our haste to get you into a room, the staff placed you into a room that had not been inspected. I am glad it was remedied quickly. I am also pleased that you were able to take advantage of the SBH Manager's Discount, a program that allows our guests to book directly through the hotel for the same rates they see for our hotel at any website.
Thanks for sharing your experience with others.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

I love this place for reasons that are difficult to put into words because staying here is a visceral experience for me. This is my second stay and we know that says it all if I have returned. This is not a chain! This is not perfect! This can be described as retro! What I came for, I got. What I came for was being able to hear the ocean 24 - 7 and see the ocean when I open my eyes in the morning as I am waking up. I came to sit on the balcony watching the Pacific with my youngest daughter and hang around PB. I did not need my earplugs that I usually sleep with because the ocean was my lullabye. My bed was comfy and my room was clean. My daughter and I had a nice meal at the World Famous. I did request to be moved from my first room because I could hear the people upstairs walking around my first night. I was accommodated and liked my second room even better since it had a whirlpool tub and that made my little piece of heaven more heavenly. Yes yes as other people have reported the wifi was spotty (in spite of the strong signal) but I think that is because of the shape of the building and I was feeling so good I could handle it. It is a no smoking hotel and yes someone did smoke on the balcony nearby which I could smell once. In spite of my limited problems during this 4 night stay, I will return!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Dear ThrilledEasily,
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. The Surfer Beach Hotel is the perfect place to sleep listening to the sound of waves, an experience that should be enjoyed by all at least once! I am happy to announce that to help accommodate this experience, we are now a fully smoke-free hotel. After listening to guest feedback about smoke wafting from one balcony to another, we now do not allow smoking on the balconies. Thanks again for staying with us and we hope to have you back with us soon.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

Having lived in Pacific Beach all through law school, it was thrilling to be back 'in the hood' for an extra-long weekend, on the beach, at the historic Surfer Beach Hotel. While the property is old ("historic"), it is well maintained, clean, and comfortable. And it's great that the world famous 'World Famous' restaurant is on site. Good food, clean rooms, and an abundance of nostalgia made it a great get-a-way.

Room Tip: Get a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank mediator51
Adam D, General Manager at Surfer Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Dear Mediator51,

Thanks for the five-star review. Our staff is dedicated to providing great service and hosting our guests in clean rooms at an affordable price. We were honored to host your return to your old haunt. We appreciate you taking the time to post a review as well.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

The views and the location of this hotel are the only great things about this place. My family and I just had the worst experience staying here this past weekend. The hotel is not clean at all and the place needs to be remodeled. Supposedly, parts of the hotel have been remodeled but I did not see that. The pictures you see posted are either of the remodeled rooms or they are very old.

When we first walked into our room, we could already smell that is was musty and stale, maybe even a faint smell of someone had smoked in the room. The room looked like someone had furnished it with things purchased from a yard sale. We figured we would grin and bear it for one night because of the close proximity to the beach and we wanted to be able to just walk there with the kids but the smell and appearance of the room was nothing compared to what we discovered when we were ready to go to sleep.

As we were all getting ready for bed, our oldest went to pull out the sofa bed and discovered that someone had left clothing and food inside the sofa bed. DISGUSTING!!! I'm not talking about a few crumbs or a half eaten cookie. There was a styrofoam take out container with food and a fork still in it. We complained right away and we're upgraded to their Sunset Suite, which was maybe just a tad cleaner but still not acceptable. You could see small debris along the baseboards and I discovered a cigarette butt on the deck. We didn't have much of a choice at that point seeing how it was 11:30 at night.

Upon checking out on Sunday, we spoke to the person at the front desk to speak to a manager but were told that he would not be in until Monday. The person took down our number and we were told that he would call us the next day. Well, it's Wednesday now and we still have not heard from him. This is UNACCEPTABLE!!! We will never go back to this place again and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Select a room at another hotel
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Henry C

Dear Henry C,

It is unacceptable what you had to put up with during your stay and I can assure you it was a complete anomaly to the standards we set for ourselves at the Surfer Beach Hotel. The staff were upset and disappointed in themselves as obviously a mistake was made.

Our hotel is fortunate enough to stay busy throughout the year and hosts thousands of guests who stay here each year without incident. Your recent stay was a most unfortunate exception and I am sorry that we could not have done more to rectify the situation. Under the circumstances, the staff behaved well, as you remarked to me in our conversation.

Once again I apologize for your experiences and can only assure you that it was a mistake on our part and will not happen again.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

This is truly a hopeful hotel. It has a lot of hope once they realize not all visitors are drunken twentysomes. No-Smoking should be observed not only in rooms but balconies also. The property in general is adaquate but needs to be maintained and upgraded at a steady pace. Booking on the home website is substancely more than the travel sites.

Room Tip: Avoid corner room, balconies look into each other and smoke from one balcony goes to your balcony al...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Adam D, General Manager at Surfer Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Dear Bslittlebernie,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Surfer Beach Hotel. We pride ourselves on being an affordable hotel on the beach, which is a rarity these days. We do our best to ensure the comfort of all of our guests and we cater to a wide variety of guests. This past weekend, we did have a wedding party who were in their twenties. We also had a group of Chinese baby boomers in town for the Chinese New Year, senior relatives of the groom who made it a weeklong trip to San Diego, and a wide variety of midwesterners and Canadians escaping the winter chill. So we do tend to see a varied demographic checking in at the Surfer Beach Hotel who all have one thing in common: enjoying a few days with the best view in San Diego, sleeping to the sound of the ocean. I do apologize for the inconsideration of guests whose smoking hindered your comfort. We are reviewing our smoking policy to ensure that we can provide an even more comfortable experience to our guests.

Thanks again for staying at the Surfer Beach Hotel.

Adam Della Rocca