“relaxing stay. Beautiful beach view”
Review of Surfer Beach Hotel

Surfer Beach Hotel
Ranked #98 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We like the laid back type of hotel. not too stuffy. Lovely rooms. great view. my only issue was the small shower but it is an older building when that size shower was normal.. will go back again very soon

Room Tip: like on FB
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Adam D, General Manager at Surfer Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Dear LaToniaM,

Thanks for the great review. We do indeed hope you return soon!

Regards,

There are newer reviews for Surfer Beach Hotel

Reviewed January 9, 2014

If you are coming to mission beach for a few days the Surfer Beach Hotel is a great hotel to stay at. It's right on the beach so you can hear the ocean all day and night. Comfortable beds. Complimentary coffee and tea in the lobby. Heated pool. The gentleman at the front desk, Justin, was very helpful. He was at work both nights my fiance and I were staying here and helped us with everything we needed. Great guy. Awesome hotel. I would recommend it for anyone.

• Stayed: January 2014
Adam D, General Manager at Surfer Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Dear Kaylahm19,
Thanks for your five-star review of the Surfer Beach Hotel. I am so glad that our hotel and our Front Desk Agent Justin made such a nice impression on you and your fiance. I know our staff's primary focus is pleasing guests, so its wonderful to receive that positive feedback. I have already spoken to Justin and he was so pleased to hear you mentioned him.

Thanks again for your thoughtful review!

Reviewed January 3, 2014

I spent my honeymoon here 38 yrs ago and fell in love with this place have been going back several times every year its the perfect beach hotel not fancy but very comfortable and clean. Most of the staff is very friendly and some have become good friends. My daughter got married on the beach right in front of the hotel and we had the reception on the patio it was great and on our 38th anniversary. Highly recomend this place to relax and destress.

Mark & Cindee Melton

• Stayed: November 2013

Dear Mr. Melton,

We are so glad to be a part of your family memories.

We hope to be part of many more in the future. Thanks for the great review!

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We had never visited Pacific Beach before and did not know that it is more like a rowdy, spring break kind of area with nearby bars mostly catering to a young crowd. Surfer Beach Hotel is acceptable, the issue is that it seems to fit in with the ambiance of the area. On its own, the hotel is average. The location right on the beach means the sound of crashing waves is wonderfully loud. It appears that all of the rooms have a balcony that looks toward the beach. Sadly, there is really no privacy. From our balcony we could easily see into several rooms. The bed was sufficiently firm and the comforter nice and toasty. I'm going to guess that the structure was constructed in the 50s or 60s, and it definitely looks like it. There are no hospitality touches such as a coffee maker, hair dryer, microwave; there is only a fridge. The worst thing about the room is the shower, so small and dark. Further, there was a problem with the hot water. Showers on the night of our arrival required running the water for a bit in order for it to warm up. The next morning, it managed only lukewarm. Ugh. Big problem on a chilly morning. However, the biggest issue might be the motel guests. A group of young guys (duuuude....) were clearly in full party mode. Considering that the balconies are so open, their presence really had a negative impact. Thankfully they apparently took their partying elsewhere for most of the evening. They got back to the room at around 1:30 am and it sounded like they were destroying the plastic table on the deck (not sure though). Maybe that is why there are no coffee makers in the room--they would have not stood a chance with the dudes. I guess they passed out after about half an hour and we returned to the lovely sound of crashing waves. There were other young groups, and a family that could not seem to remember their room number and tried our door several times. I would not say to stay away from this place. The location on the beach is terrific and the nightlife is within easy walking distance. Just know that it is a party area with the potential for rowdy guests. If you're looking for party, this might be a good place. If you want peace and quiet, try Santa Barbara.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Adam D, General Manager at Surfer Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Dear NorCalHereandThere,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I do apologize for the hot water issues during your stay. We did have a boiler issue during your stay that has already been resolved.
Although I considered it, I don't think we are going to change our marketing strategy to the "Dude Motel," but thanks for the suggestion! All joking aside, I am sorry that other guests may have affected the ambiance of your stay. Our location is perfect right along the beach, with access to so many restaurants and bars. Although most of the year, this attracts mostly families and couples there are times (Spring Break and New Year's Eve) where other age groups take advantage of our spectacular location as well. We do make an effort to ensure that no guests spoil it for others by getting out of hand though.

Safe travels to you and thanks again for the review!

Reviewed January 1, 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my two young grand daughters. The location was perfect- right on the beach and close to restaurants. The room was quite small and there were several days when there was not hot for a shower. There was coffee in the lobby in the morning, but it was more like water with a little coffee added. The hotel was clean and the employees were very nice and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Maps5854,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the hotel. I sincerely apologize for the hot water issues you experienced during your stay. There was a small issue with the boiler which has since been repaired. I am glad that the staff and housekeepers however positively impacted your stay.
Next time you visit, I owe you a strong, HOT cup of coffee! A note to future guests: if you have any issues with the coffee or any other problems during your stay, please let us know so we can rectify it immediately. The staff are always prepared to go the extra mile to ensure your comfort.
Thanks again!

Reviewed December 31, 2013

The staff at the front desk each time we stopped in was very friendly and helpful. The view from our room was amazing, just the getaway we were looking for. The rooms are small, bathrooms very small, but it is what we expected and were very pleased with our stay. I did not have any issues with the noise mentioned in other reviews, we slept with our balcony door open to the sound of the ocean and found it very peaceful. We will definitely choose this location again for a future stay.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Jeno 541,

Thanks for sharing your opinion about the Surfer Beach Hotel. The staff work hard at providing a high level of service and friendliness to all of our guests. It is rewarding and encouraging to them to read guest' positive comments. We hope you to see you again soon.

Thanks again!

Reviewed December 27, 2013

My family and I have spent yearly vacations two weeks at a time at this property since the early 1970's, as our children have very fond memories of the "Surfer". Yes, it has changed hands repeatedly, but this was the worst I have experienced. In the past we were supplied with microwave, hair dryers, irons, coffee maker, table and chairs and a wonderful basket of organic soaps, shampoo, conditioner, lotions, combs, shower caps etc.. Our room had a small soap encased in a plastic "Fort Knox" wrapper that no one could breach, shampoo and conditioner from China that were disgusting, wouldn't use it on my pet rat if I had one. The bed linen, the bottom sheet was not fitted so it came loose and wadded up in the bed. The duvet was the only blanket on the bed. There were no extra's in the closet, so we cranked up the heater. TV went out and had to wait for service to come fix it, which they never did. We ended up fixing it ourselves, since my husband is mechanical in that way. Now they have tacked on a $15 a night parking fee and the parking lot was half full. The smart thing to do is bump up the rate to include the $15, instead of tacking it on to the bill. Tacky. The staff's suggestion was to park in the public parking between Blue Sea and Surfer if we didn't want to pay for parking. The peculiar thing of this, you were not given a sticker or any sign that indicates you were a guest of their hotel, nor were you asked for your license plate no. at check-in. They did ask if we smoked, which we didn't, if so they were charging us extra. I thought there was no smoking in the hotel rooms period. Staff was not knowledgeable. We had tickets to the Charger game and asked the attendant how early should we arrive before game to park and his response was well about 40 min prior to game. NOT......please do not go 40 min before game AND you must have a parking permit along with your tickets, you cant bring a purse or any food or drinks and I suggest you arrive 3+hours before kick-off. It was a debacle. We ended up parking 3.5 miles up a steep hill in a residential area 2 blocks off the main road. That was fun trying to walk up Mt. Everest at dusk, and when I reached the top it was dark. My husband couldn't walk up the hill, due to a knee injury. He waited 1.5 hrs. to be picked-up at bottom of mountain. The staff should have been able to give you this information, since they are in the tourist industry. We will be changing to Blue Sea across the way. It's worth paying a little more.

Room Tip: don't stay there.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Toni H
Adam D, General Manager at Surfer Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Dear Toni H,

I am very sorry that your experience did not match your expectations and memories of yore. We endeavor to provide our guests with a comfortable and valuable stay on the beach and I am sorry you did not enjoy your visit.

All of our rooms are non-smoking. The Front Desk makes every guest aware of that and if they are smokers, advises where on the property smoking is allowed, so as not to disrupt other guests. In order to provide more space for our guests' personal items, we have removed irons, ironing boards and hair driers from the room. These items are all available upon request. All of the rooms have refrigerators and the Junior Suites have microwaves and coffee makers. Coffee and hot drinks are available complimentary to our guests all day long and is located in the Lobby. The parking is indeed $15 and the reason it is not tacked onto the room rate, is that many of our guests do not drive or bring their vehicles.

We encourage our staff to use the resources of the local Visitor Center and to educate themselves about the local area. I am sorry that their advice was not beneficial for the Chargers game, which is a luxury that not many of the staff have had the opportunity to embark upon themselves. I will have them read your review so we can better assist guests in the future however.

If you would like to continue visiting the Surfer Beach Hotel, I encourage you to contact me directly at adam.dellarocca@trigildservices.com so I can personally look after your next visit. Thank you for the many years of patronage.