“Yay Umit!!”
Review of Surfer Beach Hotel

Surfer Beach Hotel
Ranked #102 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed August 1, 2013

My girls and I traveled from the Arizona desert and spent the weekend at The Sufer. The location is great, the rooms were good and the view was beautiful. What made it all even better was the service we received from Umit in the front office. We couldn't have asked for more and can't wait to see him again when we go back next time. We also have to thank Rebecca. She was the icing on the cake.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view

Reviewed July 29, 2013

My mom and I took a graduation trip down to Southern California for a nice time on the beach. The pictures that were shown on the website made the rooms seem clean and pristine. However, after arriving at the hotel it was obvious that the hotel did not live up to the pictures. The service was fine, but when it was time to go up to the room, the elevator took a long time to get to us and bring us to our floor. After arriving to the room, we looked around and noticed that a lock on the door was broken, there wasn't any air conditioning, there wasn't a lock on the sliding glass door, the room smelled bad, it was noisy and it was in need of an upgrade. The beds were comfortable however, and the view was absolutely gorgeous, We were booked in the hotel for three days but immediately after settling in, we were looking for other places to stay. After reading this, you must keep in mind that we were looking for a nice and luxurious place to stay. This hotel was way over priced, but if you are looking for place to simply rest your head at night after a long crowded day at the beach, this hotel will work fine.

1  Thank Sara C
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My family of six from Colorado stayed here after visiting Disneyland for a week. We stayed along the beach here while in San Diego to visit Sea World. Justin at the front desk was exceptionally pleasant, and very well-dressed for his position. He was very kind to my younger sisters and I, giving us extra towels when we needed. We must have gotten hot-cocoa from the machine in the lobby a dozen times each day! He was always so respectful in asking how my stay was, and if there was anything he could do to make it even better! Way to go, Justin!!!! I enjoyed talking with you. This hotel is in an excellent location, but just seemed a bit old and warn. And it was a real bummer it had no air-conditioning. We had to keep the doors open at all times to get any air flow. There is plenty of entertainment in and around the location as you walk the boardwalk, but the music can get a bit loud from the hotel room itself if you're trying to get some rest mid-day. Parking was also extremely condensed. It took us 20 minutes to find a spot! And to charge an additional $10 fee per night to park a vehicle, was a bit outrageous. Mostly because there are not near enough spaces for hotel guests to park! I think the parking needs to be limited to hotel guests only, to eliminate the problem. Anyone just visiting/surfing on the beach for the day, would take up all of the parking.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I have stayed at the Surfer many times over the the past few years. The location can't be beat. You step off the patio onto the boardwalk. There are several restaurants within walking distance. They have always been accommodating as to my room selection. The rooms are simple but I don't spend much time in them.
This particular trip there was a mix up with my reservations but it was cleared up very quickly. Meagan was very helpful behind the desk all week. I look forward to returning to the Surfer.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 11, 2013

They have nice rooms, but the TV broke. We were on the 4th floor and the elevator broke down for our entire trip except the first day. This was very bad considering I had a pulled hamstring. They are very attentive. The outside of the building needs a some restoration. I love the fact that the World Famous restaurant is attached. With a little love this place could be awesome. I guess that's why the rooms are so reasonable though. I know I am giving mixed signals on this place because it is a great location and right on the boardwalk.

Room Tip: They could use some air conditioning all they have are floor fans. The Rooms on the end and on the 4...
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Rented 2 rooms and stayed a week there in June, 2013. Rooms are run down and hotel is in major need of a serious attention. One of the rooms had some serious mildew smells and the one on the ground floor was unbearably hot. There is no air conditioning in any of the rooms. When your on the upper floors it is not so bad because you can open you sliding door on the deck to let some cool air in. If you are on the ground floor, obviously you cannot do that and it is sweltering at night.

I must say that the staff is very helpful and one of the best I have seen.

Location is awesome. Right on the beach and just a few blocks from all the fun that Pacific Beach has to offer.

The big negative is that parking really sucks. They have a lot but the stalls are so narrow most of the time you can't fit your car in the slot. Be prepared for dings in your doors. They also charge you $15 per day for the privilege of getting you car damaged

Room Tip: Do not get a ground floor room. You will regret it if you do.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JerryDuncan
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Location is great, steps away from beach (seriously, it takes me longer to walk to my car in the driveway) large balcony with ocean view. decent size rooms and clean. the bathroom was kind of small so if you want to throw a party in there is not gonna work :) Very friendly staff. The receptionist, Laura M ( can't remember her last name) gave us tons of information about what we can do around there, reccomended great places to eat and clubs to par-tay! :) Thanks, girl, you rock! Great place to stay if you love the beach.

• Stayed: September 2012