“Great place on the beach”
Review of Surfer Beach Hotel

Surfer Beach Hotel
Ranked #98 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed April 24, 2013

What a wonderful little hotel! I really enjoyed my stay, slept with the balcony windows open to hear the surf. The room was clean and sufficient for my friend and I. The beds are very comfortable. The staff that works overnight was very friendly and wonderful to work with.... however the staff during the day were borderline rude and not as pleasant. On our last day, we had gotten permission to check out late which was not communicated well to the day shift. We got a knock at the door and when I notified the staff member that someone overnight had given us permission to have a late check out of 2 pm, she argued with me about it. When I noticed that I was charged 1 extra night of parking than I had parked in the hotel lot, I felt like I was being treated like I'm an idiot and didn't notify anyone. The two shifts need to communicate to each other.

Otherwise, I had a great time. Really relaxing. The location was great, close to the zoo, USS Midway and other San Diego attractions.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 8, 2013

So here's the deal. Pacific Beach is all about an eclectic and very local experience. Leave behind your desire for standardized national chains where you can count on reliable banality and conformity. Take this hotel: sure the room is dated, the cleaning smells a little too clean, the curtains need a style refresh. But its right on the beach, people and its a great Pacific Beach hotel. The location is amazing. I stayed for a weekend and wished for more time to just hang out on the Beach, but I think the compromises might get old if you stayed a week. The biggest compromises are the lack of fresh air in the room and the tight parking. I had to keep my patio door open to an interior courtyard/pool to get fresh air. The parking spaces are so small that I had to try several before I found one where I could open my car door. But the room was very clean, the bed was very comfortable and I felt very safe. There's nothing like walking out your door, around the corner and boom, you're at the Beach. Its an urban, edgy and always interesting beach scene. The local food joints are great. Try the pizza place across the parking lot - great pizza at reasonable prices.

Room Tip: Ask for windows
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Came here for two nights to get out of Vegas for the weekend! Stayed here with 3 of my best friends and there was plenty of room for the 4 of us! Price was also spot on! We brought our own bar and had such a blast running around on the beach at night! In walking distance to some great restaurants and shops. I will definitely be returning to San Diego, but I might consider being closer to Mission Beach next time, we had the most fun there!

Room Tip: Double bed rooms are good for 4 people! Right on the Beach too!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Our family took a quick trip to San Diego and stayed at the Surfer Beach. While we expected a little more updated facility, we found this stay to be terrific. This facility had a very local feel and the quiet surroundings were enjoyable.. Coffee shop next door-- The location was the best part.. walking distance to restaurants, surfer/ beach fun and nice pool. If you stay there be certain to eat at the World Famous restaurant.. VERY GOOD. Hotel staff was helpful but most importantly, nice new bedding, large screen TV and VERY CLEAN. We would definitely stay there again- a great bargain for the price.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Upon our check in, we were greeted with a friendly person at the front desk. That was our last experience of friendliness at the front desk. The women who worked there at other times was not mean, but not personable at all. Even upon our check out, she did not ask how our stay was! Maybe she knew it was just ok.

Pros:
-excellent location. Ocean views really are nice and great to wake up to each day.
-public parking helps save money, although 15/night is not terrible compared to other places. We never had a problem finding parking.
-maid service was very good. Never had any issue with stuff not being refilled.
-comfortable bed, and the TV, while not HD, had a good picture and a decent amount of channels

Cons:
-as stated, front desk was ok for the initial check in, and terrible after that. As if they could not be bothered that we were staying there. I mean, we were paying, so they should maybe care.
-the advertised wifi, worked for 30 minutes when we arrived. It never worked again. Multiple times we went to the front desk, multiple times we were given an excuse. Suggestion: either fix the wifi or do not advertise that you have it.
-a lot of dust in the room. Allergies, which were not relevant in our first part of the trip magically arrived after being the room for an hour or so. This includes the fan that you plug in in lieu of the air conditioning
-flood alert! Suggestion: get a shower liner for the shower so you are not standing in a puddle in your bathroom. That was a very fun clean up.
-the irons need to be replaced, as they stained a few articles of clothing.
-overall, just seemed that the room was cosmetically updated on the surface, but the foundation of the room was still dated. Almost like putting a picture over a hole in the wall.

The room was not what we expected. We did not expect a 5 star, four seasons stay. What we did expected was a clean room, friendly service and working wifi so we could plan our trip, etc... We did not have that. If you are on a budget, you may want to consider it, but if possible to stretch your budget another 20-30 bucks a night, I would suggest doing it. I know I will next time I come to SD.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Mcg8282
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Nice clean place to stay, and quiet, which is something I insist upon in a hotel. The place is right on the beach and the "strand", close to many shops and places to eat. The local surfer feel of the area was awesome. The rooms themselves were above average and will be coming back very soon I hope....when I come to San Diego, this is where I always stay....

Room Tip: The seaside rooms have the great views..
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kurt L
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I went in January for a romantic getaway and we were not disappointed. The beach view was terrific and the staff was very helpful. I personally loved the variety of birds that were hanging around. They actually took bread right from my hand while on the balcony. Its close to everything. I am def going back!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple