“Meh”
Review of Surfer Beach Hotel

Surfer Beach Hotel
Ranked #98 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This property benefits from a good location.

Beyond that, maintenance is lacking and most of the property could do with a good, deep cleaning.

Our room was spartan but serviceable with four notable exceptions. First, the screen door was completely off and leaning against the railing of our third-floor balcony. I "fixed" it as best as I could but I'm certain it is still falling off anytime anyone opens it based on my observation of the attention to detail of most of the staff we encountered. Second, the sliding glass door did not lock. I understand it is the third floor but this still seems to present a serious safety issue. Third, all of the weather-stripping on the bottom of the door in our room was gone. There is a 1.75" gap between the floor and door. I also observed this on at least four other rooms. Lastly, the operation certificate for the elevator is expired as of early this month.

While none of these items are a huge deal while staying at the beach, they do present a larger picture of staff and managers who are missing the details that could vastly improve the property.

My son enjoyed the complimentary hot chocolate in the lobby.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
pacificbeach15, Manager at Surfer Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns about your recent stay at the Surfer Beach Hotel. It is through comments such as the items you mentioned that we can improve our hotel. We do appreciate you bringing them to our attention. And, we would have been happy to relocate you to another guest room to accommodate your family.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

I do my yearly "must get to the beach" in San Diego at The Surfer. I LOVE THIS PLACE! First, bar none, The Surfer is THE BEST location on the beach. Period. You can walk everywhere! You are literally sitting on the beach, plus you have a lovely little clean pool (with BBQ amenities), you just can't go wrong. I get the exact same suite/room (4th floor) every year and I'm happy as a little clam. The Surfer is an old beach hotel; probably built in 1950. Although updated, it is still an old beach hotel. It is very clean but it's not modern and posh and I love it to bits! When you check in, if you need a blow dryer, ask; they're kept in the office. If you get to your room and feel you need more towels, wash cloths, just call the Front Desk. Once, I even needed a screen to the patio; one call and Maintenance was up within one minute to take care of it. Yes, the bathroom is small but so what? Whenever I travel, I consider my room to be my locker, my little oasis that I retreat to at night. There is nothing better than being at The Surfer, with the sliding door open and letting in the ocean breeze, sound, and smell to fall asleep to. Why would you want air conditioning? You're at THE BEACH (and, if you need more air circulation, there is a perfectly fine fan in the closet you can plug in). The Staff and Housekeeping are the best and I've been staying here for years. If you like to vacation and have a hotel and room with "all the fixins'", the Surfer isn't for you. If you want to be smack dab in the middle of all that is happening at the beach (and wondering if Frank and Ava may have trysted here) and sit out on your balcony, with a bottle of wine, and enjoy all that is the ocean, head straight for The Surfer. It's been my little slice of Heaven for years.

Room Tip: Fourth Floor. Also, the mattress is like sleeping on a cloud!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
pacificbeach15, Manager at Surfer Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

The Staff at the Surfer Beach Hotel would like to thank you for your wonderful comments! We are so happy that you enjoy your stay each and every time you visit and that you took the time to write this amazing review. Thank you again and we'll see you soon!

Reviewed October 18, 2012

We reserved 2 rooms a month in advance next to each other, beach front and our view was the roof of their bar! No wash cloths, no chairs in the room and the sink drained SLOW! Bugs, Bugs, Bugs. Will never stay there again!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sue S
pacificbeach15, Manager at Surfer Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

We certainly were disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction with your stay. We would have been happy to relocate you to different rooms to better suit your needs. Unfortunately, the annoying insects you saw outside came directly from the beach kelp because of the heat and humidity. This is an occurrence that does not happen very often. Please accept our apologies and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Surfer is a great location if you want to be right on the beach and close to everything.
Thiis is not a luxury hotel, so if that is what you expect you will be disappointed. If you can deal with a little "funky with character", this is the place for you! It is clean and pretty quiet considering the location. We had a Junior suite on the 3rd floor. The term "suite" is a little misleading but it did have a little refrigerator and coffee pot! The bed was very comfortable. The view was good, and I liked being able to hear the ocean from the room. Being October, the weather was beautiful so no air conditioning was not an issue. I had read some of the other horrible reviews of the Surfer so was a bit hesitant but since we were travelling with a pet our options were somewhat limited. The staff was very nice to us. (Once again, I think some people just have expectations that are only appropriate at some higher end upscale locations...you get what you give.....?) Overall we had a good experience there and I would return to the Surfer for a visit to Pacific Beach...!

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you decide!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank dfoleychula
pacificbeach15, Manager at Surfer Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Thank you SO much for the great comments regarding your recent stay at the Surfer Beach Hotel! It is refreshing to hear favorable reviews for the hotel. Glad you had a good time and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

We (my family of 4) booked a junior suite for a 4 night stay. When we first walked into the room we were disappointed to say the least. The room bore no resemblence to either the description or the photos on the hotel's website. The pull-out sofa was completely unacceptable as a place for my 2 young boys to sleep. We checked out after only one night and spent the next 3 night across the street at The Best Western, a MUCH better value for the money.

Room Tip: Stay at the Bet Western across the street.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Steve H
pacificbeach15, Manager at Surfer Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

We appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Surfer Beach Hotel. We certainly apologize that you were disappointed with the size of your room and would have been happy to relocate you to a larger room to accommodate your family. Thank you again and we do look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Surfer Beach Hotel for a weekend getaway. I booked the "junior suite" because we enjoy having the space. The description in Expedia for the junior suite said "...the balcony offers beach/ocean view....". The room given to us was Room 419 which was the corner of the "L" shape building. There were no balcony (other than if you open the front door and stand in the hallway. The extra room only had a sofa bed which would be nice for family with kids and had nothing else. The TV was in the bedroom so if you were sitting on the couch, you would not be able to watch TV. There were 2 TV's in the room, (which was odd) one mount to the wall which wasn't working and one standing on the cabinet which worked but none of the two remote worked for the TV. I noticed all the other "regular" rooms had a balcony and they all faced the ocean but we got the corner "suite" with no balcony or ocean view but we paid for it.

The hotel was an older hotel but you can tell it was renovated which I knew when I booked it. It was at a great location and we enjoyed the sunset...standing in the hallway, at the end of the building, near someone's window. Because of how the rooms were situated, people do walk by your window to get to their rooms. We had people walking by and talking loud, late in the night and early in the morning. There was no air condition and we had the windows open for air but had to shut them because of the noise (music, people talking). Even though the king-size bed was comfortable, my husband and I didn't get a good night sleep.

Also the free internet had very poor signal. We were not able to use the wifi at all during our stay. We would not return to the Surfer Beach Hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ireneww
pacificbeach15, Manager at Surfer Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Surfer Beach Hotel. We certainly apologize that your visit was disappointing and that we did not meet your expectations. We would have been delighted to relocate you to another room to better suit your needs. We do appreciate your input and look forward to serving you better soon.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

We spent two nights at The Surfer, where there is no air conditioning. The room was small, dingy and very warm. Fortunately there was a fan available, otherwise we would not have been able to stay. In addition, the sliding door screen had a broken lock which took quite a while to repair. The setting is nice, close to the beach which is very active with bikers, runners and skate boarders.

Room Tip: Book a room on the third floor, the view is better as is the air flow.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TomInAZ
pacificbeach15, Manager at Surfer Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at the Surfer Beach Hotel. We certainly apologize for the lack of air conditioning and appreciate input from our guests. We hope to see you again soon.