“Loved this hotel!!!”
Review of Surfer Beach Hotel

Surfer Beach Hotel
Ranked #102 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I stayed at the Surfer Beach Hotel from Monday, June 25th until Thursday, June 28th. I booked in advance the seaside manager special which was an ocean view room, free parking, wine and snacks, I was in room 206 which had a king size bed and a fabulous view of the pool and ocean. There is no air conditioning in the room so if you have to have air conditioning, book somewhere else. There was a fan in the room and I used it the entire time and was never too hot. I also left the sliding glass door open (it had a screen) when I was in my room and at night while I slept. It was wonderful to hear the ocean and wake up to watch the people surfing early every morning. I thought the bed was very comfortable and I slept very well. I love to run for exercise so every morning I would run from the hotel to the end of Mission Beach which was approx. 4 miles round trip. There were many people running, biking, roller blading, etc. - just a very fun place to be. The best thing about this hotel is the employees, especially Shane!!!! He was so helpful in all aspects. I wanted to visit La Jolla and University of San Diego and he gave me a map and told me the best way to get to both places. He always said hello when I was passing by and asked how my day was. He was so friendly. The housekeeper was also very nice and made sure I had everything I needed. I asked at the front desk where was the best place to rent a bicycle for the day and they recommended Surf Monkey - it is only $15 for the entire day and they are open from 10 am until 6 pm and the bike I rented was very new looking and had a basket - helmets and locks were also included in that price. It was fun to ride the bike up and down the boardwalk. There is a restaurant connected to the hotel called World Famous - they have daily happy hour and always a special price for certain food if you eat at the bar - I ate there for lunch one day and ate at the bar twice in the evening - Monday was half price appetizers and the seared ahi tuna was FABULOUS!!!! Wednesday the special was lobster tacos for $1.75 each and they were very tasty - of course, I had to have several shock top beers to go along with the food. The pool at the hotel was never crowded and I could always find a chair to lounge in. I had such a wonderful experience at the Surfer Beach Hotel and I will definitely be back. I would recommend paying more for an ocean view room because it is worth it.

Room Tip: I really liked room 206 and I would definitely recommend paying for an ocean view room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Maureen P
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Thank you SO much for all the great comments! It's refreshing to hear the posiitve side of things. Thanks again - we are so glad you enjoyed your visit. Looking forward to the next one!

There are newer reviews for Surfer Beach Hotel

Reviewed July 1, 2012

This place is terrible! We (my wife and I) read the reviews and noticed that several others had left unfavorable reviews, but we thought that we'd "risk" it because the location was great. It's true, the location is good (close to SeaWorld, and on the beach), but other than that, the place is a real dive - and the workers there (those managing the front desk) were super rude and unaccommodating, and seeing unaware of their own hotel (i.e., the fans (2) in our room were both broken. The room was not cleaned well. The furniture was broken and run down). Normally hotel staff are welcoming and friendly, those we interacted with at the Surfer hotel were subtly rude and not helpful (not to mention a few were difficult to understand). The hotel itself does not have airconditioning, which is a problem - and not just because their fans don't work. The rooms don't have sufficient windows to open to allow air ventilation. Yes, there is a sliding glass door, but do you really want to sleep with the door open to everyone? The rooms are dark, and musty smelling. The bathrooms are tiny, the beds are entry level (and don't feel clean), and the pull out bed that we had anticipated our two little kids sleeping on was broken (so they had to sleep on the floor - which again was not clean (we found trash from the previous tenets behind the curtain). The pool was ok, but the pool beach access door was always jammed, and so we can to either have our 6 year old climb under the door to open it from the other side, or walk around the entire hotel to get in. When we decided that enough was enough and went to check out, the staff/front desk people said that they needed 72 hour notice or we'd be fully charged. Although I recognize they need notice, 3 days notice is a little much, not to mention they didn't give us notice of how terrible their hotel was. We ended up checking out, finding a different place, and still having to pay for Surfer hotel dump. I wish I could say something nice, but there isn't anything good to report (i.e., several of the outlets were dead - and the microwave was plugged in over top of the burner of the dirty stove... talk about safety issue.) With so many places to stay in San Diego I highly recommend finding another place if you are considering the Surfer hotel.

Room Tip: There aren't any good rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank ge_0ff9
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

We appreciate your recent comments on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at the Surfer Beach Hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences that you experienced while you were here. All of the issues you mentioned have been addressed. It is through our guest comments and concerns that we can improve and provide the best possible service to exceed your expectations. We hope that you give us another opportunity to serve you. Please call me directly at 858-483-7070 to make your next reservation. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed June 28, 2012

OMG, thanks to expedia we had the worst hotel experience ever. The room was less than acceptable just for starters, after checking in we found out that the staff uses the handicap parking space to park their personal vehicles with no handicap placard. Being handicapped we had to wait for the staff to move their vehicle. Once entering the room the suite smelled of the trash that was right outside our room. The bed was lumping and shaped like a taco (very uncomfortable). When I asked to upgrade the room, they said expedia customers are not allowed????? that's because you get the cheapest price and the worst room available. We do not recommend this hotel to anyone, unless you want to pay top dollar. there is no continental breakfast plus the coffee dispenser in the lobby was a joke. P.S. bring your own shower curtain as our room didn't have one, had to wait over 1 hr for one to be installed. Hope expedia thinks twice about recommending this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Don't book your room thru expedia and be prepared to pay alot for less
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Alvaro T
Management response:Responded June 29, 2012

We are extremely sorry that your stay at the Surfer Beach Hotel did not meet your expectations. We would have been happy to relocate you to a room that would have better suited your needs during your stay in San Diego. We sincerely hope that you give the Surfer Beach Hotel another opportunity to show you what San Diego hospitality is all about.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

Stayed at this hotel (motel really) recently after looking at the website and thinking it would work. I wasn't expecting luxury by any means but this place was terrible. Nothing like the photos on the website. Ocean view overlooking a ratty rooftop, very dated bathroom (minimally clean) and worse yet, no hot water! This was advertised as a "Junior Suite" but was basically a single room with a fold out couch. Stayed one night and paid over $300.00 at checkout. It is a rip off and very falsely advertised on the website. Would never stay there again!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Lorraine5592
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at the Surfer Beach Hotel. We certainly apologize for the inconvenience you experienced while you were at the hotel. We would have been happy to relocate you to another room to insure that your stay was enjoyable. Again, please accept our sincere apologize and we hope you give us another opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

BLUF: The number one thing about this hotel is the location. It is right on the beach. With that being said, keep your expectations low for what you will get in the room itself. If you want a place that feels luxurious, go somewhere else. This place is just a clean spot to rest your weary body. So here is the lowdown:
We got a king size standard room on the bottom floor. With that you do not get a private patio. Your patio door opens out to the pool area (which has a gate surrounding it so the kiddos are safe). Since the rooms are not a/c you need to keep the patio door open to get that cool ocean breeze. Do this at your own risk if you decide to sleep with the windows open. The first night we were there, we had it open and of course some drunks came back to their room and were extra loud waking the entire hotel up. Seems someone complained and the hotel staff quickly took care of the issue. I only mention this because I can't imagine sleeping without the window open to cool off the room... but you need to realize that comes with it's own set of issues. Nice thing about the open window is you can hear the ocean which is the ultimate in relaxation.
The beds are terrible as are the pillows. Just very hard. The bathroom is it's own separate room but super tiny. The shower is just big enough for one person. Looks like they tried to do some upgrades in the last few years so the shower is very clean and has some nice tiles that don't look too worn.
The vanity area is spacious and has a mini fridge. Lots of counter space in there. No hair dryer, coffee maker, or one of those magnifying mirrors. Just the basics.
The room has a large dresser and large panel TV. The cable is barely functional though. Besides the bed, they furnished the room with one of those wrought iron outside patio tables with two chairs. Very strange.
The WiFi is awful. You'd get faster by using a 56k modem.
Almost forgot. The hotel is pet friendly. Be aware that the boardwalk, beach and parking lots do not allow dogs between 0900-1800. You can get cited. We were let off with a warning.
The hotel restaurant is amazing. I'll post a different review of that. For breakfast go to the Eggery ETC just behind the hotel in the promenade.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the second floor rooms so you have your own balcony and can keep the window open all nigh...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Chief_Gypsy
Reviewed May 18, 2012

After reading reviews we were skeptical but took a chance and booked it. Yes there are a few minor flaws in the paint! So what!!! We had an ocean view and the location is hard to beat especially for the price! The kids loved the pool and we had a patio next to it pretty much to ourselves and a door that opened straight to the boardwalk!!! Not to mention a great restaurant !!! I read reveiws that said no air conditioning in the room ....well we had the ocean breeze that kept us cool! We were very happy with our accomodations but of course we spent most of our time at the beach, pool on our balcony and the boardwalk! Yes we took sand back to the room!! Beds were comfortable and everything you need is a walk away from the hotel!! It was perfect for our needs and we plan on staying in the future! Staff was very friendly! If your looking for a great location and value...we recommend it! Keep in mind this is down to earth kind of hotel.. if you want a chocolate on your pillow this isnt for you!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 11, 2012

If you want to stay in a hotel right on the beach in San Diego, Pacific Beach actually, then the Surfer Beach Hotel is one of those. It has been there a long time and any beach front hotel will weather twice as fast as any inland hotel. Weekday prices before start of high season on June 15 are quite reasonable for a beach front location, around $120-$140 with weekends higher.

Room was clean but older. We upped to a jr. suite, a misnomer tho' as it is just a bigger room with small refrig and microwave ( didn't work tho'). Shower space for one only if your mate is friendl, big new flat screen TV with 28 channels. If you plan to spend day on the beach or at their rather big pool, then in-room amenities are no big deal. Why? Within 5-min walk along the beach are probably 7-8 friendly driinking/eating establishments running from bathing suit beer drinking crowd to cocktails and full menus.

There is the Crystal Pier just up the beach (up being north) built in the 1920's and another 10-15 drinking eating spots within a short block to the beach. Immediately behind the hotel is a Tony Roma's, a nice sit-down restaurant with sports oriented bar-lounge. And there is a good restaurant "World Famous" (the name not the rating) ataxhed to the beach side of the hotel.

Botom line: on-the-beach, reasonable prices for the beach, big pool, lots of drinking and eating within 5-min walk, and the sounds of the mild surf in background. But be flexible. It is an old place, has some upgrading, and a 2-star set of rooms. We parked our car for two days and easily walked everywhere.

Room Tip: All junior suites (just bigger rooms) are south facing on the bottom of the "L" shaped hot...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple