“Great Stay at the Pacific Terrace”

Pacific Terrace Hotel
Ranked #5 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
John Seymour
“Great Stay at the Pacific Terrace”
Reviewed June 18, 2005

My Wife and I spend 4 days at the Pacific Terrace on June 14 - 18th. We had a Jr. Executive Suite with a Premium Ocean View (Suite #206). The room was very nice and the view was great. We looked out over the boardwalk and directly on to the ocean. On our last night the weather broke and allowed us to see a beautiful sunset.
The staff was very friendly and I was impressed that everyone said "hello" from Housekeeping to the maintenance people. Our beds were turned down and candy left on our pillow (Godiva Chocolate) along with a pair of slippers and the next day's weather and surf forecast each night. There was a microwave, refrigerator, sink, and stove on our room.
There was ample parking in the underground secured garage ($15 daily) as well as several spots along the back alley.
It was a short walk to many local area restaurants (they have automatic billing to your room at several different restaurants). Nearby Crystal Pier was a short walk and you could watch surfers all day and evening.
While the hotel is a little pricey compared to some hotels, it is a perfect getwaway for romance or for families wishing to be right on the beach.

11 Thank johnaseymour

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bucks County, PA
Reviewed June 15, 2005

My husband, 19 year old son and I stayed at the Pacific Terrace last Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. We loved this hotel. Every staff member that we dealt with was extremely friendly.

We had made a reservation for a junior suite. The room was not ready when we arrived after 1:00 p.m. We asked about other rooms that might be available and they were happy to show us several rooms to choose from. We ended up taking a room on the first floor. It was more a pool view than an ocean view, but we had a nice patio that seemed private even though it opened up to the pool area. It was Room 117 and was close to the breakfast room but away from the pool traffic.

The room was large and clean. The sink and vanity area is outside the bathroom. There is a very large mirror as well as a magnifying mirror and tons of room for makeup, etc. The robes were nice.

The only thing I felt was not quite up to par was the bedding. It was nothing special and there were only 2 pillows on each queen bed. They were happy to get us 2 more pillows when we asked.

We had spent the two previous nights at the Estancia La Jolla. That is a nice hotel in a beautiful area, but we liked the Pacific Terrace better.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
15 Thank east12
Dallas/Ft. Worth Texas
Reviewed June 11, 2005

We just returned from our San Diego vacation and a 5 day stay at the Pacific Terrace. This hotel was wonderful! The staff is incredibly helpful and everyone is very friendly and accommodating. We had a nice room the first night, but requested an ocean view upgrade if it became available. The next day they moved our room for us into not only an upgraded ocean view, but a huge suite with a kitchenette and private balcony. They did this at NO EXTRA CHARGE. This room was incredible. The breakfasts included in the hotel were fabulous. Every morning the fresh fruit, coffee, juices, yogurt and any kind of danish, bagel, cereal and muffin you could want was available until 10:00 a.m. The afternoon wine happy hour was a nice touch too- it was supposed to close at 6:00 pm, but the staff was happy to keep pouring wine even at 6:45 pm. Wireless service was available for a fee, but in our suite our laptop got internet service and we were not charged for it even though we told them we were getting it. Every night our beds were turned down and chocolates were left on the pillows.

There is not a better value for a 5 star hotel on the ocean in San Diego. We loved it and would stay again without even pricing another place.

14 Thank jacqvm
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed June 3, 2005

We booked a jacuzzi suite with an ocean view. The view was so amazing that we rarely left our balcony! The only thing the hotel could use is some redecorating. The room had a very late 70's feel to it. The room was much larger than I expected. Always a place to park.

• Stayed November 2004
5 Thank binzy86
Phoenix
Reviewed June 3, 2005

I really wanted to stay at this hotel but when I called to reserve a room, I was shocked by the lack of knowledge and professionalism of the reservationist. First of all, you are put on hold for about 5 minites before they connect you with the person who takes the reservations. Secondly, the person who takes your information can barley speak english and is unfamilair with the specials or even what rooms are available and when. Essentially, it is obvious that the staff is untrained. Too bad because I would have spent alot of money at this hotel and now I'm looking somewhere else. Hopefully, I will find a hotel where the staff speaks english and is somewhat educated in the hotel business.

8 Thank jen85268
Whittier, California
Reviewed June 2, 2005

The Pacific Terrace Hotel is wonderful....I had a deluxe ocean view room with a private balcony...I got to watch the sun set in the evening..I loved hearing the waves crashing...At night while I lay in bed I would have the curtanis open and just look out towards the ocean..The staff is also friendly and helpful...Would definitely stay again..

6 Thank antcel25
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 23, 2005

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough - and I've stayed in lots of hotels, in many countries, at all levels of star ratings.

Very helpful and friendly staff on the front desk at check-in. In fact all the staff I met, whatever their role at the hotel, where friendly and helpful.

If you have a car secure underground parking is $15 per night (I think on a first come basis, we didn't have a car). There is some street parking, but follow the advice of the front desk as to where as I did hear her telling one guest that they do ticket every night in some places.

We booked an Executive Suite. This room was enormous! We had 2 king beds with a pillow top mattress type thing that was very comfortable. A sofa, 2 easy chairs, coffee table, desk & chair, 'proper' size dining table and chairs for 4 people. The kitchenette consisted of a sink, fridge, microwave, 3 elec ring stove top with small oven, coffee machine plus plates, cutlery, glasses etc and pots and pans.

My only minor quibble is the TV angled towards the beds, rather than the sofa, which meant I tended to drop-off to sleep on that very inviting bed of an evening and miss the end of whatever I was watching!

The bathroom was also huge with a 2 person jacuzzi, seperate shower stall and seperate WC also. The wardrobe is in the bathroom which sort of turns this room into a dressing-room. Lots of towels and toiletries and they topped up the toiletries each day too - not a thing that always happens. Lovely soap! There is a phone and TV in the bathroom. Two nice terry robes too.

Each evening, around 6.15/6.30pm, housekeeping would arrive and turn back the beds, leave chocolates on the pillow, draw the curtains, turn on the side lamps and leave the radio playing music for your return.

We had a big balcony that had a sideways view up to the coast towards La Jolla. We stayed in 325. If you could get room 322 to 324 you would have an even better view. This side of the hotel you also get to see the sunset. There are ocean front rooms, these were all reserved for our dates, which I am sure are wonderful. Personally I prefer the side we were on if going for a side view (rather than the side views to Cyrstal Pier) for that sunset of an evening. The huge sliding windows to the balcony also have those 'net shutters' that mean you can leave the doors half-open for air but get no visiting bugs. Not that I saw any bugs, but a nice touch.

Sitting on our peaceful balcony of a morning gazing at the Pacific, the surfers and joggers/walkers etc was hard to beat.

I was travelling with just carry-on and my 10-yr-old so when I discovered there was a guest laundry down in the car park I was happy. Any Mother's reading this will relate! It's $1.25 per wash in quarters (front desk keep change), $1.25 per dryer (45 mins) and for soap and fab con. They also offer the usual laundry services.The Longs Drugstore on Mission (about 5/10 mins walk) also sell travel sizes of laundry detergent etc.

The included buffet breakfast was more than adequate and you can take it up to your room if you prefer. There is a flat rate $10 charge to have breakfast delivered to your room. There was every type of cereal, oatmeal, fresh fruit, yogurt, endless pastries (muffins, croissants, scones, danish, bagels etc) preserves and spreads and all the usual beveragas (hot and cold).

Between 5 and 6pm there's a free wine hour. Nice to take a glass and sit by the outdoor pool.

The pool and spa face the boardwalk and beach, loungers by the pool and tables and chairs around the outer area. Lovely spot to sit - or swim if you like. Each guest gets a 'pool towel' card.

Location wise I loved it! We could walk to the beach, restaurants and shops. Remember we had no car. There's a Ralph's supermarket on Mission about 10 mins walk away, as well as the Longs Drugs, for whatever supplies you might want.

There's a post office at the corner of Emerald & Cass - we had to mail some purchases home! Longs sell packaging materials as does the post office.

The No.9 bus (direct to Seaworld) leaves from the corner of Diamond and Faneul. About 15 mins walk along a safe residential street. Not sure what parking costs at SW but the bus is a good option if you need it. $1.75 per person each way. The bus is quite regular in both directions and there is always a printed timetable you can take from near the driver's seat.

Cab fare to SW is about $13 each way with a tip.

The No.34 bus is a few mins from the hotel on Mission Blvd (turn left at the corner of Diamond & Mission and across the road for the trip out, you can see the bus stop) and takes you straight to La Jolla for $2.25 per person. Ask to get off at Pearl & Girard.

We payed $310 per night AAA rate for the week nights and $375 for a Friday night in mid-May.

Stayed May 2005