“amazing!!!”

Ranked #5 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
dublin,ireland
“amazing!!!”
Reviewed January 7, 2005

We stayed in the Pacific Terrace for three nights in august and have to say it was one of the best, if not the best, hotels we have ever stayed in. From the minute we entered the hotel, our every need was seen too. The staff were very friendly and our room, an ocean view on the second floor, was amazing. There was a fridge in our room, so it was lovely to go into the supermarket, about a five minute walk away, grab some beers, and sit on the balcony and watch the sunset. The pool is very clean, and so is the jacuzzi. Your room card allows you to get straight out onto the boardwalk and then you just have to walk down the steps to get to the beach. Its a very friendly area and its safe to walk around at night. We wanted to go to San Diego Zoo for a day trip and the staff printed us out bus timetables and a map so we could get there in the quickest time possible. The breakfast was mainly breads and pastries, which was ok.
We had two double beds in our room, and the room itself was immaculate. We had a chocolate left on our bed every night and the beds were turned down. Each morning when we got up there was a paper left outside our room. Just the little touches like that was what set this hotel apart from the others.

Will definitely be coming back here. I wouldnt stay anywhere else in San Diego.

3 Thank choogirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
SF, Bay Area
Reviewed January 2, 2005

I am the wary type, and I got really worried indeed after reading some of the reviews on this site. We booked an 'ocean view' room on Expedia which still cost us a lot of money (over Christmas). We were all looking forward to this vacation, the 1st one for a long time, my husband and I and my 2 small children, for 7 nights.

When we checked in and I found out we were staying on the ground floor, I knew straight away that we would only get a partial view of the ocean - but decided to swallow my pride and see the room first.

And what a surprise - it was great! just in front of the swimming pool, facing directly the ocean, far enough from the breakfast room (which gets busy), with a nice little patio. We stayed and made the most of a beautiful holiday.

The best thing for us, was that we could open the French doors into the patio and let the kids play (quietly!). The swimming pool is fenced so we didn't have to worry about them getting close to it. We really enjoyed the staff, the breakfast, the wine reception, the location, and the room - which came with a small kitchen.

We also realized that there aren't many rooms at all which don't have an ocean view as all the rooms are facing south, north or west - None of them face east. The only thing I would get a bit worried about is with the ones facing north, as they didn't seem to get any sunshine what so ever.

Tough choice to make sometimes, I really value sites such as this one - Thank you, and have a great time if you chose this hotel.

3 Thank KarineSF
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed December 17, 2004

I stayed at this hotel last February with a friend of mine. We splurged and got an ocean view room. I don't know how many times I called the hotel to verify that the room was definitely facing the ocean. We weren't disappointed, as the room was awesome and had a full front view of the ocean and boardwalk. We were on the 3rd floor and the pool was directly below our room. The rooms all have bathrobes and slippers, which is a cute touch. You can buy the bathrobes for a price, which my friend did. The free breakfast is good--lots to choose from and you can take it outside on the patio with tables/umbrellas. As two women traveling alone we never felt scared or nervous walking the boardwalk at night. The boardwalk takes you right to some good restaurants. I will have to say parking is a problem. There are only a few 'reserved' spots for guests (without paying). A few times we had to park down the block when returning at night. But that's a small thing to deal with when you wake up to the ocean outside your balcony door! If you're thinking about staying here and question some of the reviews on here--yeah, maybe sometimes things don't go perfectly well for people, but if you want a small hotel, beautiful setting and friendly staff, this is the place. (Just re-verify where your room is!)

• Stayed February 2003
2 Thank 1127sg
Reviewed December 13, 2004

We stayed at this hotel for two nights in the first week of December 2004.

Be forewarned...if booking an "Ocean View" room from Travelocity, Expedia, TraipAdvisor, etc., don't expect to get what most people consider an "Ocean View" room once you get to this hotel. You are better off booking only the "Garden View" room if you want an Internet discount because I could just barely catch a glimpse of the ocean from my "Ocean View" room. It was a real disappointment and downer. The only way to get an Ocean View Room is by booking directly with the hotel....as I leaned after I checked-in....and paying the 'premium' rate that isn't found on the discount internet services.

I was really looking forward to our stay at this hotel after researching it on this internet sight. I could picture looking out at the ocean and watching the sunset from our room. I had the choice of booking the Garden View or Ocean View and opted for the latter. Boy...was I in for a surprise!
Problem #1 - When I got to my room, it had only a king-sized bed for myself and 3 other people! The receptionist claims that Expedia didn't inform them that we had 2 kids staying with us. I showed her a hardcopy of my booking and confirmation # - which showed 2 adult and 2 kids as per the booking procedure - and she said they don't get that information from Expedia...they get different information. Say what??? So this is now my problem?? Oh well, can you please help me out and get me a room with 2 queens. Sorry sir, we're full tonight...perhaps tomorrow...you have a fold-out bed in your room that you can use.
Problem #2 - They placed us on the ground-level. Looking out our patio, you needed to be 6' or taller - and standing up - to catch a glimpse of the ocean. Everything else in front of you is overgrown shrubs, flowerbeds, palms, brick privacy dividers and a 7' barred fence on the property-line. When I told the Manager that I am extremely dissappointed they consider my room as "Ocean-View", she said that all their ground-floor rooms are considered Ocean View as per AAA ratings or some other fancy-named agency. Can we get and "Ocean View" room on the 2nd or 3rd floor - even if it's for only tomorrow night?? Although you booked "Ocean View" over the Internet, we cannot give you an ocean-view room on the 2nd or 3rd floor because they are classified as...."Deluxe" Ocean View rooms and therefore cost much more money. What?? Oh yes....and they are not available over the Internet. And Sir, your current room also has a kitchenette (that I didn't need!) so we actually consider your room as an upgrade from your confirmed rate! Boy...do I feel better!!
Problem #3 - You can complain all you want, but the Manager is used to these Ocean-View complaints, and does not budge on the interpretation. She offered to move me the next day to another "ocean-view" room, facing north, on the north side of their building. The room looked directly into the Capri hotel and had a better glimpse of the ocean, but I passed on the offer, and decided to air my complaints on TripAdvisor...hoping that someone else doesn't run into the disappointment that I did....two nights of sleeping on an old cot-type pullout bed...and enjoying the ocean view from my room for as long as I could stand on my tip-toes!

I don't know why people seem to rate this place so high and give it rave reviews. If I was to return to San Diego, I would probably stay next-door at the Capri. Do your own due diligence. Good luck in your search.

21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 3, 2004

I chose this hotel for a romantic weekend away from the kids with my hubby based upon the tripadvisor reviews, and was not disappointed! The room was lovely, and just as described, the staff was delightful! They cheerfully gave recommendations for restaurants (and it was great advice) and they have a little business center that I used for free, so I could checkin for our flight home online - that alone saved an hour or more wait at the airport! Every person we dealt with was pleasant, from the cleaning staff to the people who set out the breakfast - and the balconies/patios, views, and pool area are all lovely! It's also in a nice location right on the boardwalk, and the beach. I don't know that I would stay there with very small children (under 5), but it was perfect for the two of us. We also got a good rate on a site called ------------.

• Stayed November 2004
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
California
Reviewed October 31, 2004

I stayed here this past weekend with my girlfriend and absolutely loved it! We stay in San Diego at least one weekend a month, and this is definitely one of the best hotels. First of all, for location, it's tough to beat. Pacific Beach is a great area to visit, with excellent restaurants, a number of good bars, and a beautiful beach. Having said this, the area is lacking in nice hotels. The Pacific Terrace was fantastic. We booked a "Garden View" room online for a discounted rate, but when we arrived we upgraded to an ocean view mini-suite because the hotel was not full. The view was perfect, and if possible I would encourage the ocean view rooms, as the "garden" appeared to actually be an alley. The room was clean, staff excellent, pool and hot tub area very nice, the breakfast was good, plentiful, and fresh, and there was plenty of parking below the hotel. We will definitely return and highly recommend this hotel.

1 Thank ConcertboyPT
Reviewed October 17, 2004

We stayed at the Pacific from 12/10 to 15/10 at the end of two weeks touring. I had booked an ocean view suite and wow, what a view ! I've noticed the last review re some issues with a room, however, I could not fault ours. It was clean, furnished well, very quiet and we felt comfortable with the whole place. We considered changing our flights just to stay longer ! The staff were all excellent and we loved the location in Pacific Beach. The place has a young vibe to it, but certainly at the time we stayed was not in any way rowdy. Of the hotels we stayed at on this trip, this was the best and I would certainly return. Not sure if restuarant recommendations are the done thing on here, but on the last night we went to Cafe Bella Italia and had a great meal - its on Garnet Blvd and was listed in the hotels recommendations. San Diego was brilliant in every way - will be back !

• Stayed October 2004