“great vacation getaway”

Ranked #6 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Bloomfield, Montana, United States
“great vacation getaway”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

We just returned from a five night stay...Along with the other comments; the staff was awesome...so friendly and helpful. The bundle package of $14.00 per night was not well explained...We thought we only paid for it once and actually asked if the half off breakfast was good for each morning of our stay and was told it was only good for one breakfast...that was before we checked out and found out we had been charged $14.00 each day...also would have appreciated knowing about the hot tub being down while we were there, and/or being given a credit on our room...one idea that we would like to recommend is to have a $5.00 continental breakfast for those of us who don't care to have a large breakfast...the towels were a cute/fun idea...Overall, a great place to stay!

1 Thank Peggy B
Julie G, Director of Sales at Pacific Terrace Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Thanks so much for writing about your experience here. We're sorry that the Beach Bundle package wasn't explained better, it is a daily fee, and we will make sure our staff communicates this better in the future. Also, thank you for your suggestion about having a continental breakfast as an alternative, we will take that suggestion to our managers and see if we can make that work! Hope to see you again, soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (585)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed January 28, 2014

This was our second time in several years staying at this hotel. We brought our 2 children along this time. The location can't be beat and the rooms are always clean. We have reserved an oceanfront room each time and the view has never disappointed us.

The hotel offers a continental breakfast which is not all that bad (yogurts, cereals, oatmeal, juices, fresh Belgian waffles that you make yourself, granola, scrambled eggs, bacon, and a few other tasty items). They do not have an onsite restaurant and obtain any/all food for consumption in your room or at the pool from the Duck Dive Pub (Not the best but not the worst).

They provide pool/beach towels, so you don't have to worry about buying a towel for the beach. You can rent beach equipment and boogie boards from the hotel, and they also have bikes to ride (I think for free). No one ever told us about the bikes but we saw them in the parking garage under the building on our last day.

They are close to some good but casual restaurants. There are a lot of pubs in the area. For a nice dinner, they are a short drive to the Gaslamp district, or you could drive north to La Jolla. We went to the Zoo as well. They are in the perfect location to get everywhere.

They were remodeling the hot tub while we were there and went out of their way to let everyone know. One night the pool was closed unexpectedly and again, went out of their way to let all the guests know and delivered fresh baked cookies for the inconvenience.

Their front desk staff was very accommodating and professional. My daughter went down to grab her "daily apple" from the bunch of apples that were on the desk...along with fresh baked cookies.

Very nice place. I would recommend if you don't mind that they are near a lot of bars and there isn't an onsite restaurant. I don't have any complaints though!

Room Tip: Go during off-season. The rates are much more doable!
2 Thank Monika G
Federal Way, Washington
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We spent three nights at Pacific Terrace Hotel. We are experienced travelers (Seven Continents Club). I would rank this hotel near the top of the list for dedicated staff looking for opportunities to make you stay more enjoyable. Great ambiance for smaller boutique hotel. We rode bicycles brought to us by the concierge who also adjusted the seat heights for each of us. We spent an evening in Old Town to do a little shopping and eat a great meal. Spent half a day at Scripps Institute touring the Birch Aquarium which is not to be missed. After leaving the Aquarium, we went to la Jolla Shores for lunch and then went to Scripps Park and Shell Beach are for an afternoon walk and sea lion & seal watching expedition. We also made a stop in La Jolla to do a little window shopping at a couple of collector car dealers...nice rides! Also spent time walking the promenade and hanging out at the pool.

Room Tip: Make a reservation...all rooms are excellent. First floor rooms open to Ocean View and garden with...
2 Thank Robert O
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in January.
This hotel is perfectly situated at the end of a busy boardwalk. There are lots of bars/restaurants within walking distance.
I did feel this hotel had a larger portion of adults than children-which suited me because we were traveling without our kids this time.
We had a full ocean view junior suite on the third floor and I loved the view.
The temps during the day were 60-70 and at night I insisted on sleeping with the patio door open to hear the waves. If you open that door in these rooms-the air/heat will not work. Conserving energy. I never did get too cold with the door open. My husband complained a bit at high tide that the waves were too loud and kept waking him up. You couldn't hear it with the door shut and I LOVED it!
Toiletries were nice. Well stocked every day and maid did a great job of cleaning up.
I did get a bit concerned because there were signs stating that if there happened to be less than four beach towels or the two provided robes upon checkout, they will just charge you for them. I guess that is assuming that you wanted to keep them. The maid didn't replace my robe one day-I obviously didn't want to pay for it and when I called the desk they literally had a new robe at my door in 3 minutes. I got the feeling that they wouldn't really charge for these items-but if there is a sign posted, I don't take chances.
Any concerns are addressed ridiculously fast.
Parking is $25 per day. I guess I'm not sure if there is any public parking close by and it wouldn't be secure in public, so we paid for this service.
Wifi worked well in room and out at the pool.
The beds are very nice and comfy.
We did use some dishes and they were always washed and put away by housekeeping.
The patio had 4 chairs and a table-great for drinking your AM coffee that you can brew in your Keurig machine that is in the room.
We didn't do the breakfast buffet. Living in the midwest-I am used to complimentary, simple breakfasts at most hotels. This seemed like something I wouldn't ever need to pay for and wasn't really interested in $14 for an adult. I'm sure it was fine-just seemed like maybe it could be something included with your price?
The pool was very warm which was helpful as the temps were around 65. Felt very good in the water.
Overall-a FINE stay and I would definitely come back. We were able to secure a "pay for 2 nights, get the third night free" rate. Seemed pretty reasonable for the views/size of the room.

3 Thank Mom24andnurse
PacificTerrace, Director of Sales at Pacific Terrace Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thanks for writing about your stay - if the biggest complaint is the sound of the waves crashing, we'll take it!! The 'third night free' promo is a great deal this time of year, and we're glad the weather was wonderful. Hope to see you back soon!
Long Beach, California
Reviewed January 24, 2014

My husband and I loved this hotel! It was right on the boardwalk - and we could hear the surf all night long. The view was unbeatable, and the staff so courteous and helpful. We wil be staying here again!

Room Tip: Get the full ocean view - it is so worth it!!!
2 Thank Terri W
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Pre-trip: I booked this property by phone after researching online. The staff were friendly, polite and seemed willing to go out of their way to help.

Arrival: A staff member helped get the luggage out of the taxi and transport it to the lobby. Check-in was pretty much paionless with the exception of some confusion over the pre-billing of incidental deposits (I had requested the charge be put on my credit card before hand).

Room: We took a full ocean view Jr. Suite with 2 queen beds for a family of 4 (2 adults in their late 30s/early40s, 2 children aged 2 &6).

Bathroom: Bathroom was setup in 2 areas seperated by a doors. One area contains the sink, a small makeup/dressing area and a closet with iron/ironing board/safe/etc. The other contains the toilet and tub/shower. I myself found the retractable clothes line in the bath tub to be a smart touch (for drying bathing suits & towels). As previously mentioned by other reviewers, Tommy Bahama products were offered and refreshed as needed. Housekeeping also does a very nice job in folding and presenting the hand towels (sea shells I believe). Like many hôtels, towels are refreshed every 2-3 days or when placed on the floor. The

Kitchenette: This is the same room that the bed area is in.Sink, microwave, mini fridge, honor bar, single serve coffee maker, plates, utensils, 6 seat dining table. It was nice to have. We never used the dining room table but the fridge allowed us to keep drinks cold (i.e. milk for the kids). The coffee maker was used religiously and housekeeping did a good job of refilling the capsules. I left dirty dishes a couple times in the sink and housekeeping did them while I was gone. It's probably standard practice but I certainly appreciated not having to them myself upon our return from Seaworld.

Bed area: As mentioned, this is the same room as the kitchenette. one one side you have 2 beds wth a nighstand in between & opposite them is a large dark wood armoir that hold sthe tv and numerous decorative knic-knacks as well as a small sitting area that has 2 chairs and a small round table. The towel elephant mentioned by other posters greeted us on the bed and was later joined by a towel monkey, a towel crab, and a towel dog. These were enjoyed by the parents almost as much as the children.

View: Our full ocean view room overlooked the pool area. I can't decide if I liked this or not. The lighting at night was nice & we never had a problem with noise, but it seems as if it was always in the foreground of the view. When looking from off my balcony the view to the right was blocked by part of the building and a palm tree but it wasn't something that bothered me enough to want to change rooms.

General Room: My biggest problem with the room was the heating/air conditioning. It's difficult to work, has a mind of its own and is loud enough to drown out the sound of the ocean. Listening to the waves crash upon the shore while going to sleep was one of the primary reasons I took this property. I remember sitting on the balcony one night thinking that it would be well worth $1'000 out of my pocket to rip out the HVAC controls.

Concierge: No complaints here. She was on top of everything. I believe I got an email a week in advance asking if they could help with our plans at all. I asked for a taxi to seaworld from the front desk(concierge was busy with another client) and the concierge called me back to confirm the taxi and also asked if she could arrange tickets (I had bought a Southern California card in advance). The "taxi" turned out to be a livery service. I believe they weren't much pricier and the vehicles were certainly much nicer than any street service taxi. We were 5 total (my mother joined us) and the service used recent model vans and suburbans. The drivers were friendly/ professional and always arranged to meet us for the return trip. I did use the concierge for zoo tickets and that went smooth as well. We did take advantage of the hotels's beach toy loan program which was appreciated by the kids.

Housekeeping: No problems here. Things were kept clean and refilled as needed. They did a neat job with all the towel animals. Although I don't know who arranged it, housekeeping left a birthday note and did a special animal towel for my daughter's 2nd birthday (perhaps the staff heard us singing happy birthday? I don't remember giving ever giving the hotel anything with her birthdate on it but I suppose I could have). Turn down service is offered but due to the baby's sleeping Schedule we were only able to take advantage of the service once.

Other services: There are a couple computer stations and the one on the main floor has a printer. No extra charges are incurred for their use. There is a small shop on premises but it carries mostly touristy beach clothing versus sundries /traveler needs. I got caught out on 2 items. Baby swimming pants and cigarettes. I understand that smokers are literally a dying breed but a 10 minute walk to the store after a day at seaworld just bites. Keeping a few packs of a single mainstream brand in a drawer wouldn't take much space. I would also think that a hotel store that counts among its clients familys with children on a beach Holiday, could perhaps carry swim pants. None of this in any way counts against the hotel. I take responsibility for running out of the items. BUT..MAny hôtels that I've stayed in do offer these products and it's a nice touch. A small detail that was thought out in advance.. Do you see what I mean? I can't complain about the lack of service but I also can't compliment the service. Coffee is offered at reception in the morning. This is a nice touch as well. There are usually apples at the desk as well. In the evening there were cookies but these were a bit harder to find. There was also water and tea available for guest consumption in the dining area untl 2200 or so. Our reservation was supposed to come with a souvenir photo. I never thought about it so no great loss but it would have been nice for the hotel to remind us of a service that was included in our payment.

Location: This is a 50/50 hit here. I loved being on the beach. Yoou can get closer but not by too much. For me though, the area wasn't what I was really looking for. Again, not really the fault of the hotel but it was an issue for me. I would have prefered a beach area with a few bars but this is more a bar area with a few beaches. If I was ten years younger, looking to party and pick up women, this area would be perfect. Unfortunately, as mentioned, I'm not in my 20s, I'm not single, and I'm certainly not going out partying on a trip with my 2 young daughters. There are plenty of restaurants in the area but most of them are the standard chains, of so-so looking quality, or contain 60%bar patrons over the 40% eating. I found very little in the way of beach shops in the area (by which I mean the little stores that carry towels, seashells, the usual touristy/beachy nonsense that kids love). O few others have mentioned that there is a public restzroom right outside the hotel. This does indeed attract a rather colorful collection of individuals such as addicts and the homeless. Again, not the fault of the hotel but it's something to keep in mind. I'm a realist but I'd still prefer not to have to explain the harshness of economic hardship to my 6 year old while walking out the door of my $400 a night hotel room.

Dining: We only used the restaurant for breakfast and cannot comment on the limited lunch/dinner/room service offerings. Breakfast was a pretty standard buffet. Nice but nothing out of the ordinary. They changed the main dish daily and it seems that they have a weekly rotation (we were there 8 days and started to see the same dishes). The waffle maker was a hit with the kids (Powdered suger and whipped cream are available but not displayed). Bread and pastry selection could be alot better. My wife wanted only pineapple for breakfast over the offered fruit salad and this didn't seem possible a it was pre-prepared. and the breakfast staff didn't seem to have access to a pineapple. It was suggested that my wife could stand there and pick out the pineapple from the fruit salad but this is just embarrasing and somewhat rude to the other guests.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank theswissmister
Ocean City, New Jersey
Reviewed January 20, 2014

5 stars for The Pacific Terrace Hotel!

This hotel is definitely worthy of the high ratings it has received on Tripadviser. After driving almost 3 hours to get to San Diego, it normally only takes 2 hours to drive to San Diego from LA by car, but the traffic was really bad and we did stop to watch the sunset. Watching the sun go down is as easy as pulling off the highway into these viewing areas, that are set up like rest stops, so it can cause you to be late checking into your hotel room. Oops! Living on the east coast I don't often get a chance to see the sun set over the ocean. It's a must see. Beautiful!

When we arrived at the hotel, it was after dark, so I couldn't really get an idea of what the surroundings looked like. You could hear the sound of the waves crashing but couldn't tell how close or where the ocean was. The entrance to the hotel is low keyed. The name of the hotel is on the outside of the building in tall, illuminated letters, but the entrance isn't immediately visible. We turned into a small one way driveway next to the hotel, and parked our car. We later found out there was a reserved parking space for people checking in, that was conveniently located right next to the front door. No bellman showed up for our luggage or valet to take our car, which was a little disappointing, so we walked in the small, but well-appointed lobby. After we went inside, we were greeted by a friendly and helpful front desk staff. After checking in and making our selection of complementary, welcome wine, we headed to our room.

We were directed to the Antigua suite. This was the last room at the end of the hallway and turned out to be facing the ocean. Once I opened the door to our room, I knew I had made the right choice of hotel for my family. Traveling with 17 and 19 year old daughters is challenging at best, I found the key to success is being able to separate at times and have your own space. The layout of this suite allowed us to do just that.

The girls slept in the living room on the pull-out couch and watched their TV shows, we closed the door between the living room and the bedroom. My husband and I slept on the beds in the bedroom and watched our TV. The beds were comfortable. You could hear the ocean waves crashing outside. There is a large dressing area with 2 sinks and granite counter-tops that is part of the bedroom area and separate from the bathroom. The door to the bathroom can be closed while in use, thus allowing someone else to use the dressing areabathroom at the same time. Very convenient! Oh and did I mention it’s a full size tub, got to love that.

Wooden plantation shutters cover the windows and allow you to select the amount of light or privacy you want in your room. Sliding glass doors lead out to a private, outdoor patio. We could see the ocean but it wasn't a clear or direct view. The patio was spacious and had seating for 4 and a table.

You can walk to shops and restaurants. Free bike were included in my package. The girls really liked being able to bike ride. The pool is not that warm but it is only January. Unfortunately for us, the hot tub was being serviced so we were offered the ability to use the hot tub at their sister hotel, The Dana on Mission. The on-site restaurant was ok. It's buffet and

This suite looks like something out of a Tommy Bahama catalog. See pics.
Everything from the largest piece of furniture, an entertainment center to the smallest detail, the Tommy Bahama toiletry items, have been well thought out.

This hotel truly is worthy of its high Tripadviser score. It’s proximity to the beach, the ability to self-park, and the spacious rooms give it a top score in my book.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors have better ocean views.
2 Thank Dexterfan55